The long and short of the Dreamliner - Scoot and SQ B787s Biz to Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The long and short of the Dreamliner - Scoot and SQ B787s Biz to Bangkok

Just a week back, I made a short trip up to Bangkok. This trip was flown on a combination of Scoot B787-8 and Singapore Airlines new B787-10, which are both the shortest and longest aircraft in the Dreamliner family. Both flights would also be flown in the premium cabin of the airlines.

The flight up was flown on Scoot, and check-in was DIY with boarding pass issued via the self-check-in machine.

Using my Priority Pass, went to The Green Market to grab a dinner. Priority Pass members are entitled to a set meal each. The Japanese set meals were of high quality, and certainly beats the lounge food.

It was then a long trek to Gate E12 for the flight.

11 October 2018
    Scoot
    TR 868
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok Don Mueang (DMK)
    B787-8
    9V-OFA
    ScootBiz
    Flight Time: 1H54M

Scoot's first B787-8 aircraft would be flying this sector to DMK, and onwards to Narita.

Boarded the aircraft and proceeded to my seat at 3K, which is the last row of the 21-seater ScootBiz cabin. Seats were cladded in leather with adjustable headrest and legrest.

Seat pitch at a comfortable 38".

Simple controls for seat recline and calf support.

Call button and overhead lighting control at the side of the seat. There was also power outlets (complimentary for ScootBiz) under the center armrest.

Boarding in progress via Door 1 only

It was drizzly weather outside.

ScootBiz would only be about half full on this short sector.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Inflight magazine, entertainment guide, onboard shopping and BOB menu.

A look at the Scoot fleet.

Welcome beverage, in the form of a pre-cupped water, was offered. Our pre-booked meal selection was also confirmed.

All ready to go. We pushed back and taxied to Rwy02C.

Took off into the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBBYr9ulFg

Shortly after takeoff, the crew came round and offered the IFE access code for ScootBiz pax's complimentary access into the wifi streaming IFE system.

Meal was served individually from the galley. My pre-booked premium meal of Nasi Goreng with Chicken Satay was served with a starter and ice-cream dessert. For drinks, I had the apple cider from the BOB beverage menu, which is complimentary with the premium meal.

The ham and potato salad was meh....

However, the Nasi Goreng with Chicken Satay was hot and tasty! I strongly believe that the chicken satays were exactly the same ones served on SQ Business Class.

My Travel Map

Comment

Nothing can go wrong with Haagen Dazs ice-cream!

After the meal service was wrapped up, the cabin lights were dimmed into a blue hue.

Visit to the very basic but clean lavatory.

For the remainder of the flight, I tried to access and download the IFE system, but for some reasons, it could not be downloaded. No worries, it was only a short flight and most of the newer movies were watched on previous flights.

Approach and landing into Don Mueang Rwy21R right on schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j580R4x1q8A

It was a comfortable short flight in ScootBiz. Though it is not a true Business Class experience, the fares are not of "Business Class" level as well, and hence is a pretty affordable way to fly in some comfort on short-mid haul flights.

Luckily, immigration queues were short and we were on our way via Grab to our hotel in no time. Stayed at AETAS Lumphini on this trip. Rooms are big, modern and clean, though beds are a bit on the harder side but still comfortable for a good sleep. The hotel is also conveniently located just beside Lumphini metro stop.

Views from the room the next morning.

My Travel Map

Comment

A heavy brunch at Northeast Restaurant near the hotel. This restaurant is popular with locals and tourists alike, and would be suitable if you would prefer less spicy Thai food as the spiciness of most dishes have been toned down. However, the food is still delicious!

Visit to Emquartier.

A gigantic Thai Tea Shaved Ice at Lukkaithong. A popular dessert, but not cheap.

Erawan Shrine

After a foot massage, dinner was had back at Northeast restaurant. Again, very tasty dishes with large portions.

Brunch at OrTorKor Market the next day before proceeding to Chatuchak for shopping.

Seafood dinner at Laem Cha-Reon Seafood at Silom Complex. The fried snapper was delicious!

My Travel Map

Comment

Visit to Talad Neon Night Market near Pratunam.

There is an eatery in the market where patrons would fish out live prawns from the 'waterway' and grill them on the spot. Rather cruel way of eating if you ask me.

On the last day, we had an awesome lunch at Greyhound café.

Headed to Suvarnabhumi for the flight back on SQ.

SQ had quite a number of counters for check-in, but with 3 SQ flights departing within a span of 3hrs, this is to be expected.

Boarding pass and premium lane invite issued.

Immigration and security through the Priority Lane was definitely hassle-free and took only a maximum of a couple of minutes.

My Travel Map

Comment

After immigration and security.

FIDS

The SQ Silver Kris Lounge is one level down. The lounge is pretty new, having only opened about a year ago.

Lounging and dining areas.

The buffet choices is pretty wide and of good quality. There is a selection of salads and cold cuts.

Hot mains, including Singaporean and Thai choices.

Hot finger food and dimsum.

My Travel Map

Comment

Thai and Singaporean dessert pastries and cakes

Ice cream from Haagen Dazs and a local Thai brand.

Cold beverages. Fresh coconuts were available too.

Bar counter and barista

Selection of cocktails available

Thai teas

Selection of wines

Lets dig! Also tried the cocktail, Horizon, which is an interesting blend of vodka, coconut milk liquor and blue curacao.

Pad thai

Ginger Crush mocktail and butterfly pea tea.

Selection of desserts

My Travel Map

Comment

And a very delicious sweet durian local ice-cream to end the meal. The BKK Silver Kris Lounge really has much better quality F&B than the homebase lounge back in Singapore. No wonder I also saw a few passengers with TG boarding passes who 'defected' to the Silver Kris lounge instead.

The boarding gate at D7 was right across from the lounge. The aircraft operating tonight's flight would be SQ's 1st B787-10 aircraft, 9V-SCA. It had landed slightly late from SIN and catering was still underway.

Judging by the crowded gate, it was gonna be a very full flight.

14 October 2018
                Singapore Airlines
                SQ 983
                Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (BKK) - Singapore (SIN)
                B787-10
                9V-SCA
                Business Class
                Flight Time: 1H54M

Boarding was called and premium passengers boarded ahead of others. Newspapers were available on trolleys along the aerobridge. For some reason, only Door 1 was used for boarding and the aerobridge at Door 2 was not in use, which slowed down the boarding process considerably as all passengers needed to pass through the Business cabin, and also affected the pre-takeoff service in Business as nothing could be done with Economy passengers clogging the aisles.

First look at the brand new Regional Business Class cabin in 1-2-1 configuration and seats on the B787-10! The cabin looked luxurious, impressive, modern and comfortable, as evident by the "oohs" and "waahs" from the economy passengers streaming pass.

My seat at 19A, which is a window-seat. The entrance into the seat is narrow, but no problems for my frame. On each seat was placed a pillow and blanket.

A look at 20A, which is at the last row of the cabin, and an aisle-seat.

My Travel Map

Comment

Welcome aboard! The huge IFE monitor is touch-screen enabled and very responsive.

Literature pocket.

Utility compartment which contains the headphones and menu. There are USB ports and electrical power point, as well as a hidden vanity mirror which could be pulled out (not shown).

Seat controls and touchscreen handset. Did not make use much of the handset as it was easier to navigate the IFE selection via the monitor.

Personal lighting configurations

Legroom and seat-well. The amount of space, though not as generous as the long-haul seats, is sufficient for me. In fact, I might prefer the cosiness of this seat as compared to the long-haul seats!

Inflight magazine and guides.

Noise-cancelling headphones

View out the window. As you can see, the other aerobridge was not in use.

After the economy passengers had passed through, the crew rushed to distribute hot towels and pre-departure drinks. A glass of champagne for me, please. Business Class looked rather full this evening.

My Travel Map

Comment

Pushed back from the gate.

Safety video was first played.

It was followed by an introduction video to the new Regional Business Class seats in the Business cabin.

For this short flight, I decided to watch The Incredibles 2.

I was expecting a lengthy taxi to the active runway Rwy19L, but the Captain decided otherwise and requested for departure from the high-speed exit interception, which saved us probably 5mins of taxi time. Being so light for the 2hrs flight, we maybe need not use the full 4km runway for takeoff too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8BM1nnwfE

Starting the movie.

Flight info could be displayed on the handset.

Unlike most other regional routes where SQ has did away with proper menus in Business, opting for only a slip of menu paper, Bangkok flights still received the full menu.

Choices for this flight.

And the choices for the SIN-BKK SQ982 sector.

My Travel Map

Comment

An extensive beverage menu.

Due to some turbulence, the crew were only able the start the meal service about 20min into the flight.

The tray table is deployed from under the IFE screen.

For the meal, I chose to have the Pad Thai with Prawns. It was served on a tray together with the starter and dessert.

My Travel Map

Comment

Starter of Smoked Ham Salad and dessert. The starter was satisfactory.

Had the lavosh and garlic bread.

The Pad Thai was served piping hot and was pretty tasty.

Braised Lamb Shank with rice. The lamb was a bit too tough and gamey is taste.

Vanilla yoghurt trifle was good.

Requested for a cup of jasmine tea to end the meal.

Visit to the lavatory, where there are 2 at the front of the Business cabin. The lavatory size is rather generous compared to the other aircraft. The usual amenities were available.

An interesting feature is the foldaway bench.

My Travel Map

Comment

View of the cabin after meal service is completed.

Testing out my seat in lie-flat mode.

And the aisle seat in flat mode with armrests retracted.

Continuing with my movie. The seat was pretty comfortable in full-flat mode. I can see myself cosying up in this seat for long-hauls as well with no problems. Inflight wifi worked fine as well, and all Business Class pax were entitled 30MB free. For Boingo users with eligible accounts (like me compliments of my credit card), you may sign in the wifi using Boingo account for free!

All too soon, we were starting our decent into Singapore. Arrival information was available on the IFE.

Landing into Rwy02L slightly ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMTBhBSvWPI

Parked at the gate with windows all fogged up due to the high humidity.

A last look at my seat and waiting for disembarkation.

Last glimpse of 9V-SCA.

SQ certainly has a winning Regional Business Class product on its B787-10. As mentioned by other reviewers, this product is equivalent to many other competitors' long-haul product and with the comfort offered, I have no qualms flying the seat long-haul too. Together with the consistently excellent SQ service onboard and latest IFE system, I dare say that there are not many competing airline which such high standard of product on regional flights which the B787-10s and regional A350s will be replacing.

Thanks for reading and comments are welcomed.

My Travel Map

Comment

I did ask SQ about the reason for only using 1 door to board and the reason given by them was 'Due to safety considerations of the distance between the aerobridge and portside engine, the local airport authorities only allow the usage of 1 aerobridge for this aircraft fleet. This is the airport authority requirement and it applies to all Boeing 787-10 operators in Bangkok Airport.'

Not sure if this is just a local safety rule or the way the aerobridge is built as Changi does not have that restriction.

Comment

Great TR ycp81.Glad you got to get a good feel of both the Dreamliners. I surely hope to fly a 787 Dreamliner one of these days

Comment

Working...
                              X