Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dubai for Dubai Marathon 2015 (on Singapore Airlines SQ494/SQ495)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubai for Dubai Marathon 2015 (on Singapore Airlines SQ494/SQ495)

Hi, for this trip report, I'll focus more on the trip itself rather than on the hard product of the plane and airport, since most of you'll should have experienced the B777-300ER used for SQ494/SQ495, Changi Airport, and Dubai International Airport.

Generally, the focus of this trip is to participate the Dubai Marathon 2015 held on 23 January 2015. There are roughly about 2500+ full marathon participants, 14400+ 10km participants, and 7200+ 4km fun run participants.

Ok, here it goes.

The flight for SQ494 is at 3.05pm, so the gate opens at 2.05pm.

Gate F42. The plane used for SQ494 on 21/01/2015 is 9V-SWI, a B777-300ER plane painted with Star Alliance livery (not shown here as it is blocked by the aerobridge.

Light load for flight to Dubai on that day.

SilverKris Inflight magazine, KrisWorld catalogue and KrisShop catalog.

Inflight connectivity is available (with expensive rate). Beside the inflight connectivity guide is the safety information card.

Peanuts handed out after the flight departed. You can ask for 2nd helping, since the load is light.

The economy class menu cover.

The beverage menu for economy class.

Dinner for SQ494 SIN - DXB sector.

I chose the "pan seared chicken with lemon sage sauce, sautéed vegetable and mashed potatoes". It taste rather good actually (taste better than the one I had for my Nagoya flight on SQ).

(Part 2)

Refreshment served before landing, served cold. Some of the people here doesn't like cold sandwich/croissant, but I actually like them cold. Think it's all about preferences.

I chose the "croissant with tuna and iceberg lettuce". Well, I like tuna, so this is a rather nice refreshment for me.

Flying over the Arabian peninsula.

The eastern part of the Arabian peninsula is rather hilly.

Over the Arabian city.

Reaching Dubai airport soon.

Touch down at DXB. It's only 6+pm, and it's already very dark.

After a long queue at the immigration counter at DXB Terminal 1, I'm finally out! Taking the Dubai metro to the hotel.

Waiting for the train to come.

The hotel is near Mall of the Emirates.

Comment

(Part 3)

We are staying in an hotel apartment. This is the bedroom. Unfortunately, they ran out of rooms for twin beds, so we have to settle for the king size bed instead.

The living room with a television equipped. The channels are all in Arabic though.

The kitchenette for cooking. We only used the fridge to store the drinks, and the microwave oven to heat up the food.

The bathroom with a tub.

The roads near the hotel and Mall of the Emirates.

Someone doing a morning jog as well.

Visiting the Burj Khalifa.

The following 5 photos are taken at the observatory deck of Burj Khalifa, showcasing the Dubai cityscape:

Comment

(Part 4)

We walked past the Dubai Aquarium in Dubai Mall.

The big aquarium can be seen from the mall itself.

"King Croc".

We then proceed to the area near SkyDive Dubai for race pack collection.

The entrance to the race pack collection area.

This is where you collect your bib number...

... and this is where you collect the race goodies (such as event tee, beverages, etc.).

Coming out from the collection area.

The area near Dubai Marina is one of the greenest in Dubai.

The tall buildings near Dubai Marina.

Comment

(Part 5)

We then took a long walk to the nearest Dubai tram station. The Dubai tram is newly commissioned at November 2014, so we decided to try the tram.

The Dubai tram is powered by ground-based electric supply system, which doesn't use the overhead cables used in traditional trams. It's something like the third rail, just that it is very safe to step on it (hence can be used in pedestrian areas and city streets).

The system is based on trust, there's no faregates in the station. You tap the card on the machine that is placed in the station before boarding the tram, and tap again after you alighted from the tram in the station. Of course, there will be someone in the tram checking your card.

Mina Seyahi station, the "nearest" to SkyDive Dubai area.

The Dubai tram route map.

The LCD screen to give the time estimate of tram arrival.

The platform screen door of the Dubai tram.

Inside the Dubai tram.

The display in the tram to tell you the stations.

The tram track.

Pic taken while riding the tram.

Another pic taken from the tram.

Comment

(Part 6)

The race bag containing the race goodies. It is also used for baggage storage as well.

The event t-shirt.

The race booklet containing essential information.

The start point before the start of the race.

Here are some of the pics of the race taken by my friend.

Comment

(Part 7)

The finishing point of the race, with the spectator stand to cheer the participants. The finishing point is just a few metres away from the start point.

The baggage storage facility. It's quite a walk from the start and finish point.

The finisher medal and the bib. Dubai marathon completed!

Dubai metro starts around 1.30pm on Friday, so those who finish the race early will have to wait either at the race village or in Mall of the Emirates (nearest mall from start/finish point).

Burj Khalifa while on the way to Dubai Mall.

The Dubai Mall is a rather long walk from the Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall metro station.

The Dubai Mall façade.

The Address Downtown Dubai.

Souk Al Bahar.

Some buildings of the downtown seen from the Dubai Mall fountain.

Dubai Mall waterfall.

The Address Downtown Dubai taken from inside the Dubai Mall.

Comment

(Part 8)

Taken in the cab ride on the way to DXB airport.

A building taken on the way to airport.

A petrol station that we passed by.

Flight back on SQ495, departing at 8.00pm. Boarding starts from 7.00pm.

The aircraft is here. The plane is 9V-SWB, a B777-300ER plane.

The cityscape of Dubai at night after the flight departed.

Dubai night cityscape, taken while the plane is above the sea.

The dinner menu for SQ495.

I chose the "beef longaniza sausage with vegetables and pasta" for dinner. It tasted rather good.

The refreshment served before touching down at Singapore.

Chose the "Danish pastry" since I'm not a fan of muffin. It tasted just like the usual Danish pastry.

Ok that's mark the end of the trip report. Didn't really take any photos when touching down at Singapore, since I was too tired to do so. Didn't take any pictures at Changi Airport, since most of the people here are familiar with this airport anyway.

Before I end this, I'll post the route for the 42km run for Dubai marathon 2015 for those who are curious (can be found at their website too).

42km route:

Comment

Brave man running a marathon in desert heat, props to you - thanks for the TR!

Comment

A marathon in desert heat? You are one brave soul!

Comment

Wow, truly an extaordinary feat running a marathon in the sweltering Dubai heat orionmiz! And also a great TR.

Comment

Thanks all!

Anyway, it's considered "winter" period in Dubai at January, so the temperature is around 10-15 degrees Celsius early in the morning, and goes up to around 20-25 degrees later in the morning.

The bright and scorching sun does make it hot to run though, but the effect is moderated by the cooling gentle wind.

Comment

Wow, fantastic TR ! 15 degrees, dream running conditions !
                          Congrats for the marathon, what time did you clock ?
                          So you flew in the day before ? And on a day flight...
                          I'll go for the Sydney marathon in September 2015 and will be flying in just the day before on a redeye (Friday night for the race on Sunday morning), am wondering how I can recover

Comment

Great TR, orionmiz!

Was the route very crowded with runners, or only at the start?

Comment

There are only 2500 full marathon runners (the 10km run starts 15 minutes later), and they opened the whole road for us. So, it is rather spacious to run.
                              Last edited by orionmiz; 14 February 2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X