Air India Flight 381 (Boeing 787-8): SIN to DEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air India Flight 381 (Boeing 787-8): SIN to DEL

Background: This is actually a long outstanding report. I flew this back in mid-November, and its been over 2 months. Initially I was quite busy after coming back, and then I just forgot about this. But I was clearing up my PC and found all these pictures that I'd taken for the purpose of doing a TR. So here it is, my first TR.

Flight Details

Flight Number: AI/AIC 381
    Departure Airport: Singapore Changi (SIN, WSSS)
    Scheduled Time of Departure: 0820
    Arrival Airport: Indira Gandhi International, Delhi (DEL, VIDP)
    Schedule Time of Arrival: 1130
    Cabin Class: Y

When I booked the flight, the cheapest one available was Air India, plus it was on a 788 (a type I had not flown before). The decision was between SQ and their A388 or AI, and eventually the wallet won out. Unfortunately, AI381 departs at 0820, rather than the 1625 timing of SQ406. This meant, that after coming home at 2230 the previous night, I had to get up by 0500 and be out of the house by 0545. Nothing that I couldn't handle, but it was a Saturday. No fair. Thankfully my seats were booked while purchasing the ticket so I would get my seat of choice even if I was late.

The sun rose early that day, preventing me from catching any sleep even if I wanted to. Not that it mattered; my sleep evaporated the moment we left the TPE for the PIE which took us past 02L. Instantly awake.

At 0645 in the morning, T2 was pretty quiet, especially the Air India counters. Most of my fellow passengers had checked in hours ago, and were in the waiting area already. No matter though, there wasn't too much luggage and my seat was already booked. It did shorten the time I had to play around in T2 though, but I really love sleep.

Once I'd got my boarding pass, I hurried past the immigration counters so as to be able to look at at least some of the Christmas decor before boarding closed.

The decorations were really nice, but alas it was time to board very quickly and my gate was at the end of the pier, just before Terminal 1 began. Plus, I wanted to take pictures of the 787 too.

When I arrived, I realised that most of the passengers had boarded, so I quickly sent my carry-on for the X-Ray check. Once that was done, I collected my items and whipped out the camera again. There she was.

Aircraft Information
    Aircraft: Boeing 787-8
    Engines: 2x GEnx-1B
    Config: C18, Y238
    Delivered: 19 Dec 2012
    Remarks: Charleston built

What a beautiful aircraft, though the radome looks awkward on any airline that isn't Nok Air or NokScoot - it looked too much like a beak for my taste.

Hurriedly snapping another shot in the morning sun, I proceeded to board the aircraft.

The cabin was quite full, and the FAs were ushering people to their seat quickly, so I wasn't able to take any pictures while entering.

Once seated, I snapped the customary legroom shot, and there was a lot of it on the 2 year old AI 788. The seats felt plush as well, and the colour scheme was very warm and vibrant. +1 for the interior and seats.

After settling down, I turned my attention to the windows which were set at minimum brightness. Really cool technology, which was unfortunately not implemented in the A350. They are much bigger than other widebodies.

Unfortunately, the brightness control buttons were rather worn out on my row, though you cannot blame Air India for that. Once the comparison shots were out of the way, I decided to look around.

The seat pitch was very generous as well, and the not-so-dense 3-3-3 layout was very welcome too.

Continued in the next post (2 of 4)
    Last edited by shikhargpt; 27 January 2015, 06:55 AM.

Part 2 of 4

The cabin was really quite full, and the only seats that were empty were of those who were even later than I. So, we waited.

While waiting for the later-than-I-passengers, I decided to see how the PTV worked, but only got as far the Welcome Onboard screen before the doors were armed. I have to say, these PTV screens are absolutely fantastic. They are 10" and while not as smooth as your average smartphone, they were quite easy to operate and I never had to use the remote.

Apparently our late passenger was a C class-er, and the curtain was briefly opened, during which I snapped a picture.

It didn't take very long, before the window heat kicked in, evaporation bits of dew that had condensed on the outside of the aircraft. As I looked outside, I realised the raked wingtips of the 788 were much more raised than I had realised.

As soon as the jetway detached, we pushed and that revealed some interesting company I had in the E-pier of T2, namely JA815A (an ANA 788), 9V-MGH (an MI 738WL) and a company 788, VT-ANJ which had arrived and would leave for Bombay soon after.

As we taxied, we passed by ZK-OKD, an Air NZ 772ER parked at the remote stand, which would depart close to an hour later back to Auckland.

To me, it didn't seem there was any queue for take-off for we reached the holding point for 02C as the #2 aircraft. Ahead of us was an especially interesting aircraft.

A6-MRS is a Dubai government owned Boeing 737-8E0 BBJ2 and some dignitary must have been visiting. I have to say, it is much more interesting to see that than a 787!

I only realised how much of a queue there was behind us for take-off when we turned onto E11.

Seven jets. Quite a crowd.

Take-off roll and climbout.

The take-off roll was smooth, and way quieter than any other aircraft (especially a GE90 of a 77W).

Continued in the next post (3 of 4)

Comment

Part 3 of 4

The view over Singapore was relatively cloudy, with ships filling the harbour below us. With most of the excitement over for now, I began exploring Air India's amenities.

I took out the headphones from the resealable plastic bag, and immediately put them back in. I suspected someone else had already used them on the way to Singapore, and the headband looked too thin to be comfortable for the 5 hour journey anyway. Anticipating this, I'd packed my own trusty headphones.

As we climbed higher, the Sky Interior revealed its beauty as the mood lighting was switched on proper, bathing the cabin in a lovely blue.

Within minutes of passing 10000 feet, the seatbelt signs were switched off and the brunch service began. Ordering the non-vegetarian option, I was anticipating a nice Indian-style chicken or omelette.

Let me interrupt the food with a comment on the service. The FAs were rather brusque in their response and weren't operating with any smiles on their faces. Instead of asking for which drink I preferred, the FA simply held up a bottle of orange juice and Pepsi and gestured using his head. Not what I'd expect from a *Alliance member at all.

The utensils were metal as well, compared to the plastic I had on the same flight (then operated by an A330) many years back. Upon finishing the croissant, I opened up the aluminium foil to my dismay.

Not only was the food strictly continental, it was also of a tiny portion that left me feeling very hungry after the meal. A sausage, omelette and 5 potato wedges are simply not enough during brunch (at least for me). The omelette was especially bland, but it would have to do. Oh well.

I snapped two more images as we climbed to our cruising altitude, after which the FAs set the maximum brightness of the windows to 50% from their central computer. Time to check out the IFE.

Having traveled only in budget airlines (and MAS) which lacked an individual PTV screen, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The UI of the IFE system was quite simple and easy to use. It could be used either in Hindi or in English. The categories available from the home menu were quite ample as well.

Under movies, you could either watch Hollywood, Bollywood or Regional (Tamil Nadu, Malayalam etc.) films. Internal grouping was done by latest films (those released within the past year) and other classic and modern films.

The flight information and map screens showed all the data that we'd need, and that was nice. However, the UI isn't as sleek as KrisWorld and requires quite a few taps to get to where you want. Sometimes it is downright clunky and gets on your nerves.

What I found especially annoying was that all movies, even those shot after the advent of 16:9 widescreen were resampled to 4:3. Really not a smart move, considering that the display and all the movies are originally at 16:9, so doing that simply stretched the video out and made the actors look fat.

With the only other metric being KrisWorld, it's easy for me to say it's quite poor in the movie selection and interface, but on its own it is quite passable.

Continued in the next post (Part 4 of 4)
      Last edited by shikhargpt; 27 January 2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Part 4 of 4

Once my movie had finished, I looked out and realised that we were already over India, and were descending towards Delhi.

We were put into a holding pattern and I saw another AI 788 circling the airport.

We descended further, and the city area came into view. Dirty, dirty, Delhi belly.

Other aircraft were also departing Delhi.

We landed on runway 28 with an uneventful and smooth touchdown. God how I've missed multiple bogied aircraft. Reverse thrust was just as quiet as TO thrust.

What would I give to live in those houses.

Terminal 3 was busy as usual, with the very AI 788 I would take back to Singapore (VT-ANL) being serviced at the gate, a Virgin Atlantic A330 preparing for taxi and a Jet Airways 738WL somewhere behind.

More Air India 787 goodness was to be had as we pulled into our stand.

I quite like these murals they've got on the walls for pilots and passengers to see. Makes the airport very interesting.

Goodbye VT-ANK!

Conclusion

I probably would not have flown on Air India if IndiGo hadn't pulled all flights from Singapore to Delhi, but now that I have, I have to say it is worth it. The price difference was just $100 more than what I previously paid for an IndiGo flight (6E11/12) but for the comfort availed on the flight, it is quite acceptable. The seats were comfortable, there was IFE (limited as the movie collection was) and the plane itself is much more spacious than a 180 seat A320.

The service of AI is just as I remembered, which is nothing special. Certainly, there have been improvements. FAs do not sneer at you anymore or flat out refuse to serve you water (and ask you to get it yourself) if food service is not ongoing.

As for the 787 itself, I highly enjoyed myself in the relatively new aircraft. I did get a chance to visit the cockpit, but no photos were allowed. It certainly looks as good from the inside as it does from the outside. One thing I did note (and this I'm not sure if it is due to AI's poor maintenance or the use of composite materials in the 787 fuselage) is that while engine noise is virtually eliminated during takeoff, cruise and landing, there are many more squeaks and rattles that you hear throughout the flight that I've not noticed in the aluminium frame aircraft. Any thoughts on this?

So that's all folks, for my first trip report. Watch out from my next one where I talk you through my domestic flight from Delhi to Udaipur (UDA/VAUD) and after that, my return flight to Singapore - both on Air India. Hope you enjoyed it!
        Last edited by shikhargpt; 27 January 2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Dear Shikhar,

I remember you when you were planning for this trip and posted here a couple of months ago. I am glad to know you finally picked the rational choice. SQ is ridiculous to charge Y prices at J prices of AI and I have been discouraging everyone to take SQ on India routes. For the prices they charge, you can reach Europe with many other airlines.

I am glad that more and more TRs will show the world how far AI has come. It deserves more credit. And for SIN flights, all 3 sectors have been modernized. And with J prices matching SQ's Y prices, if my company is not paying, AI is definitely my first choice.

I think you are more critical of them than me. I thought AI is an all-rounder good although not the cream of the crop. The hardware is definitely up there. Look at that IFE screen (but beware of limited English selection). Thefood looks good (plump sausages and enough proteins out there, though I am surprised indian selection is not available? ) . The headset beats most economy class flimsy headsets. You can try SQ's and you will think AI gives you J headsets on economy. The crew I agree that they could be cool-ish but they are not rude anymore (most of the seniors are ... I hope they retire soon). Only objection is the 3-3-3 layout in J. This is dense configuration for a 787 which is sadly the new standard.

Most importantly, it is fairly priced for Y and underpriced for J. And I am completely satisfied with what they offer.

Anyway. For a first time trip report, I am super super impressed. You strike a nice balance of not too many words and boy, your pictures are stunning. You must be a seasoned photographer. They look professionally taken.

Now I really look forward to Udaipur.

Comment

Enjoyable TR. Thanks!

Comment

Hi SQueeze!

Yeah I realised the Air India ticket was wayyyy cheaper and made much more sense (even with the red-eye inbound). It cost just $525 for one adult!

Air India definitely deserves more credit for the job they've done, but I still think they've got a fair way to go. As for the criticism, I didn't have much to go on, this being the first flight since 2005-ish where I got a PTV with AVOD. The massive screen is fantastic, but another gripe I had was that its tilt was not more than 5 degrees and viewing angles were terrible (I am 90% sure it had a twisted-nematic panel). And as you said, they've got really few Hollywood films.

The food might seem adequate in the picture (it seems fine to even myself if I forget my experience) but it was honestly completely inadequate for a flight that departs in the early morning and arrives around noon. A full lunch service should have gone on, and with an Indian selection.

As for the headsets, I was comparing them to my own which I bought for $30. Two years and no issues (Philips), but I guess they are all right looking at other offerings.

3-3-3 is dense, but I've seen someone stuff a 3-4-3 (3K?) in the 788, though a 2-4-2 is much preferred.

Thank you for the comments on the pictures! I do photograph quite often.

And of course, thank you 9V-SIA!

Comment

Nice report. Thanks for writing.

I tried the AI788 last year on DEL-SIN portion of my BKK-DEL-SIN itinerary. I took a shabby A321 on the BKK-DEL sector, the 787 was a welcome change. But for 280SGD, I would not complain even if it was a A321 both ways.

Totally agree with SQueeze. I would not pay for SQ when flying from SIN.

Comment

Hi dfs24,

Thank you and I agree SQ is way overpriced. AI's product is certainly much better than budget airlines, and very nearly at that price too.

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
                    Hi SQueeze!

Thank you for the comments on the pictures! I do photograph quite often.

[/B]
                    It's not just practice. You have a talented eye. I can see clearly your sense of proportion and composition. keep going.

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                    But for 280SGD, I would not complain even if it was a A321 both ways.

Totally agree with SQueeze. I would not pay for SQ when flying from SIN.
                    Looks like you made use of this secret fare (i still suspect is a mistake!) I think it is still there.

The best one was the SGD 1,700 to Europe and back in 788 J class which lasted about 6 months last year. I have been wanting to use it. Then darn, someone posted it in FT forum and it was gone within days. That forum is a fare killer.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post

Looks like you made use of this secret fare (i still suspect is a mistake!) I think it is still there.

The best one was the SGD 1,700 to Europe and back in 788 J class which lasted about 6 months last year. I have been wanting to use it. Then darn, someone posted it in FT forum and it was gone within days. That forum is a fare killer.
                      Wouldn't fly the 1700SGD fare with a 12 hour layover for sure. I quite like UL if paying myself.

There's another secret fare. You can do CMB-EUROPE-SIN for 500USD. Go explore if you need it.

Comment

Great TR, shikhargpt! You write like a seasoned TR author!

These days I encounter AI 787's quite often (either taking off or landing, when I am on my runs along East Coast Park).

Quite tempted to try AI on this sector as well, except that they are 3-3-3 in Y. If they were 2-4-2 in Y then AI would have become my first choice to India...

I have tried JL's 2-4-2 787's and also 3-3-3 on BA's 787. For BA, I was upgraded to J, so did not get to fly BA in Y on that occasion, but I was one of the first to board, so strolled back to Y to check out the seats before returning to the comfort of Club World :-). The BA 3-3-3 Y seemed ok, but JL's 2-4-2 was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                          It's not just practice. You have a talented eye. I can see clearly your sense of proportion and composition. keep going.
                          Thank you!

And that you yflyer for the compliments! I do try my best to entertain! And I definitely agree, 3-3-3 can really get cramped. My friend also flew to Tokyo on JAL's 788 with 2-4-2 and he said that the cabin was really comfortable. Regardless, I think 5 hours in a 3-3-3 can be tolerated, though I would think twice flying to say, Tokyo in a 3-3-3 788.

Comment

Also, would you look at that! Renowned Airliners.net photographer Andrew Hunt actually photographed my aircraft on the very day I was flying! Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X