Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your SQTalk name : how did it come about ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your SQTalk name : how did it come about ?

Hi fellow SQTalkers !

I've heard several SQTalkers tell about how they got their SQTalk names/handles - very interesting stories, so I'm starting a thread
    where everyone can share about how they came to be using theirs.

Well, some of you have aviation or SQ related names, and some of you actually use short-forms/initials of your actual names, but no matter how trivial or simple you think your story is, just share with us. I think this is a good way for us to get to know you better.

Shall I start ? my nickname upright man is lifted from a character in a novel (who is actually a thief ) and I've been using it for years in computer games, so naturally I decided to use it here on SQTalk.

Anyone care to share your story ?
    J. my own dear wife J.

Mine's pretty self-explanatory.

Over at TOF and an Oz travel forum, I'm known as QF009 because that's the flight I used to fly on most frequently to both SIN and LHR.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 June 2007, 01:31 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Mine dates back to my student days. We used to say someone who was very drunk was Lobstered. As I spent most of my student days in such a state I became known at the Lobster. Not a name I have gone by since then so I thought I would reactivate it on SQT

Comment

Mine is actually, Singapore Airlines, in Japanese... ^_^

Comment

My initials of course. The first time I used them online was summer 1993 back in the days of the largely text only Internet - connecting from a 80386SX laptop using KA9Q and a 14.4k modem to Demon Internet's tenner a month service!

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
            Shall I start ? my nickname upright man is lifted from a character in a novel (who is actually a thief ) and I've been using it for years in computer games, so naturally I decided to use it here on SQTalk.
            I thought upright man came from the notion of being a very proper british... Similar to the SQ cabin crew who has to be proper and sometimes negatively thought as robotic.

And for my handle, I am not good in picking up names. Thus, it was easy to just pick the airport code for Jakarta.

Comment

I used to frequently fly between YVR and CNX and have quite fond memories especially of my time in Chiang Mai, therefore YVRCNX.
              Now there are much more routes involved but this is one of the originals.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                Mine is actually, Singapore Airlines, in Japanese... ^_^
                More closely translated it probably should be singaporu_koukuu

こうくう=航空

Comment

My handle stems from FT: "Q Shoe Guy". I live in Kyushu thus the play on the word.

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
                    More closely translated it probably should be singaporu_koukuu

こうくう=航空
                    Yeah.. tats rite... I need to go back to my textbook, lol... At least I dont put kuukou. Thx for the correction

and I love your nickname Q Shoe = Kyushu...
                    Last edited by singaporu_kooku; 15 June 2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

My handle came from what I use on my blog. I was thinking up a name for this blogsite, with inspiration from names like The Global Traveller, The Globetrotter, The Planet Traveller, etc, when I realised most such names had been taken up. So I looked for something different. The High Flyer was born, and I ported that name over to Flyertalk and SQTalk.
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Back in the days of IRC, I used the nickname consisting of the first three letters of my real name (Sav) + my age at the time (ie. Savage17, Savage18, etc). When I signed up for FT, I was at Savage25 - and didn't think a year ahead, when I couldn't change my nick without losing my post count. My varsity baseball jersey number was also 25, so I decided to stick with that.

Comment

Mine's also self-explanatory...my initials @ place of stay currently

Comment

As a young boy who had access to the internet back then (very late 80's, 9.6K US Robotics Modem) there was a chatting website called www.alamak.com. I wanted the user name of SuperJon (being a fan of Superman) but it was taken, so I settled for SuperJonJon.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                              As a young boy who had access to the internet back then (very late 80's, 9.6K US Robotics Modem) there was a chatting website called www.alamak.com. I wanted the user name of SuperJon (being a fan of Superman) but it was taken, so I settled for SuperJonJon.
                              Heehee. I was active in Alamak too. Lost touch with those folks though. Remember someone called Gally? Oh, the days of BBS...
                              My Cafe Adventures
                              Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                              http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X