No announcement yet.

New business class from Q3 2013 and no premium economy planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the features of the current SQ J seat design is the illusion of space which is really very much a marketing differentiator. Alas, when you open it up in sleep mode, one finds a tight space for the head and the feet.

Glancing at the original article, here's a summary features of the new seat:
    1) front facing
    2) more storage space
    3) more privacy for tablet use
    4) improved comfort in sitting and sleeping
    5) improved "relax" mode
    6) in-seat touch-screen

The Cirrus seats seem to tick all of the above.

Well, I pray that SQ and their designers will come up with something wow.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
      One of the features of the current SQ J seat design is the illusion of space which is really very much a marketing differentiator. Alas, when you open it up in sleep mode, one finds a tight space for the head and the feet.

Glancing at the original article, here's a summary features of the new seat:
      1) front facing
      2) more storage space
      3) more privacy for tablet use
      4) improved comfort in sitting and sleeping
      5) improved "relax" mode
      6) in-seat touch-screen

The Cirrus seats seem to tick all of the above.

Well, I pray that SQ and their designers will come up with something wow.
      Equally this "client concept" (link below) seems to fit the above list, and I prefer over the Cirrus design. Both lose the width of the current J seats which I actually like, but with the bed deployed it would appear to be more comfortable losing the "folding table" approach.

This is also a true forward facing design, based on images 1 and 2 I like this, reminds me of LX and the new AZ business (although AZ seat feels more narrow and enclosed).

http://www.jpadesign.com/transport/project/15

Let's see what SQ finally decide, I guess they will start the hype about this early next year in advance of the launch... I am keen to see what they do with F.

Comment

Originally posted by AsiaCommuter View Post
        Equally this "client concept" (link below) seems to fit the above list, and I prefer over the Cirrus design. Both lose the width of the current J seats which I actually like, but with the bed deployed it would appear to be more comfortable losing the "folding table" approach.

This is also a true forward facing design, based on images 1 and 2 I like this, reminds me of LX and the new AZ business (although AZ seat feels more narrow and enclosed).

http://www.jpadesign.com/transport/project/15

Let's see what SQ finally decide, I guess they will start the hype about this early next year in advance of the launch... I am keen to see what they do with F.
        I completely abhor staggered design. I hope SQ will never come close to something like this ever. This kind of business class is like economy plus to me with every other alternate seats vacated.

If it does, it means I fly only First or Economy.

Comment

Such a shame they have no plans for PE, there is such a big gap between a seat with 32" pitch with little recline & a flat bed. Even though SQ Y seat is very good it cannot compare to a true PE seat (QF/BA/VS/CX/NZ/NH/JL). QF claim PE to be one of the most profitable cabins normally sold out on most flights, I don't know why SQ don't think they can make it work.

Comment

Is QATAR's new J on their 787's considered to be a part of the herringbone family? If not, it'd be a great product - essentially a first class seat being used for business class.

EDIT: Upon second glance, it looks like QR uses the same Cirrus seat as CX.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
              I completely abhor staggered design. I hope SQ will never come close to something like this ever.
              I've never been a fan either. Individual space (putting barriers/walls does not count) has gotten smaller and smaller as time has passed.
              Last edited by Lobster; 20 December 2012, 01:36 PM. Reason: Remove OT comments
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                Is QATAR's new J on their 787's considered to be a part of the herringbone family? If not, it'd be a great product - essentially a first class seat being used for business class.

EDIT: Upon second glance, it looks like QR uses the same Cirrus seat as CX.
                I am actually linking QR new 787 business with CX Cirrus with US New Envoy with BA new First Class <- same "OEM"?

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                  If it's all forward facing and they wanna keep the 1-2-1 layout, the result would be close to the current Cirrus seat as seen on CX new J.
                  But this would make it a herringbone design which the article said is not.

Comment

I wonder it will be an evolution of the current seat rather than an entirely different seating concept.

My guess (or hope?) - some sacrifice of width for storage. Better contour for seating and improved recline range. I'd hope for a switch from the mechanical flip-over change from seat-to-bed so that one does not need to get off the seat to do so.

The current seat is ingenious in that when seated, one face front but when lying, is "angled". It looks supremely wide and inviting. I personally do not think those herringbone designs with big consoles next to a "locked-in" narrow seat inviiting. Reminds me of a dentist's chair.
                    Last edited by KC*; 18 December 2012, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                      But this would make it a herringbone design which the article said is not.
                      I hope that SQ is doing a focus group with their frequent flyers to get some feedback...

Comment

Please can we keep this thread on topic. This is thread about seats and not service

Thank you

SQT Moderator team

Comment

Are we expecting new F design?

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                            I'm just curious. Is there a need/demand for premium economy on SQ flights? Although SQ Y is still Y, it is still one of the better Y products out there.
                            If you compare SQ economy to other economy then yes you are right. But consider this scenario;

If you have to book a flexible Y fare and you know that on some airlines this will book into Y+ while on others is simple Y, then you will chose the airline(s) where you will get more for your money, including more space, better service & food and more miles.

So I am sure that they lose some business to airlines that do have it. And I did read somewhere that many airlines claim that it is a very profitable cabin for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                              Are we expecting new F design?
                              Yes, we do. SQ needs to step up with their F product on 77W and they know that.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                                Yes, we do. SQ needs to step up with their F product on 77W and they know that.
                                Yes, please have a REAL F on the 77W and not a terrible copy of J.

Comment

Working...
                                X