Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the top of Taipei 101 in the fastest elevators in the world (+ my ride home on SQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the top of Taipei 101 in the fastest elevators in the world (+ my ride home on SQ)

Probably no biggie for you Taipei residents - but I got a thrill of my life the other night getting to the top of Taipei 101 - as always, this amateur decides to whip out the camera regardless of whether it's optimal conditions to take pics or not, so do forgive the poor quality.

Taipei 101's spire against the background of an circular bright alien spacecraft I saw.

Golly! It's erm... big?

Entrance to the mall

Feng Shui fountain, for lots of luck

Entrance to tower proper

But first, dinner on the 85th floor

Dinner at Shin Yeh. A bit pricey.

Speedy elevators. And yes, your ears do go pop!

Daytime panorama to show who's who in the Taipei Zoo when looking out

Nice little pic on the wall

Nice schematic telling you you're safe!

No visit to Taipei 101 is complete without a visit to the big ball. They call it tuned mass damper, which is supposed to reduce swaying movement. I call it a ball. All 660 tons of it.

Of course, balls celebrate christmas too

Comment

A little explanation on how it works:

Nice weather report outside: calm and very pleasant indeed

You're here! on the 91st floor, almost 400m up from street level!

Looking up from the 91st Floor outdoor balcony

Basketball or tennis anyone? at 200mm, it's hard to get a good steady pic in

Nice wide open space on the balcony

Comment

Tis a long way down, i can tell you! This stairwell goes all the way down to the ground floor. And yes, my knees got wobbly looking down (not that you can see all the way anyway

Taipei by night

Comment

And a token bit about my flights on SQ:

TPE T2 looking back at T1

SKL J at TPE

Christmas decorations are up! (this is 9V-SQL)

Standard SQFG legshot.

The F cabin was closed off as 880/881 don't sell F

To be expected: lots of CI and BR planes abound

Seems to be very common coming in from the north: Hang a left at tioman

After our left at tioman, it's abeam the this tiny airfield (no idea what it's called) for a 02C arrival at changi

A few cessna cubs and 172's at this tiny airfield. At gate B4 (i can just about make it out from this distance ), is 9V-SKE, an ultralight. Must be a small flying club.

And in closing:
          a poor nokia shot of my dinner on SQ119 the other day: A meal made jsut for me! KUL PITA!

And for some strange reason, i felt compelled to include a picture of a Taipei Starbucks. I have no idea why ....

Comment

Brings back memories of the great time I had in TPE a few months back.

So you only had enough time to visit the 101?

Taipei has lots of other great stuff, and very delicious food.

It seems this is the year of many SQTalkers visiting TPE!

Comment

Nice pictures.
              Hope to visit Taipei one of these days.
              Too many 'must visit' places already.

Comment

I think the little airstrip is seletar airport?? Nice TR.. enjoyed reading it..

Comment

I think I may have landed at that little airstrip before...

Thanks for the pics, SQfg! Makes me look forward more to my night in Taipei in under a fortnight's time ... what to eat, what to eat ?

Comment

Great report SQFG! I am eagerly awaiting my return to Taipei ... need some consulting on what to do there given that I have like 5 days there (or should I rather go to Hong Kong?) :-)
                    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

So you only had enough time to visit the 101?
                      Sadly yes. Was only in TPE a grand total of 50 hours

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                      Too many 'must visit' places already.
                      Better get started then

Originally posted by leo View Post
                      I think the little airstrip is seletar airport??
                      Dunno if it was seletar or not, but I don't think many SQtalkers have ever been there.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      I think I may have landed at that little airstrip before...
                      I doubt it . It's so small I think it'd be unlikely

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                      need some consulting on what to do there given that I have like 5 days there
                      Lots of taipei-o-philes here. Between the two, I prefer Taipei, although maybe because it was a fresh new experience for me (last time i was there in Taipei proper was December 1983! :o

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Taipei 101's spire against the background of an circular bright alien spacecraft I saw.
                        Did you have a chance to check out the mall and the food court connected to the landmark at the bottom? I remember the last time I was there I had to go through the maze of the multi-storey mall before finding the ticket booth and elevator to go up.

My favorite dishes when I visit Taipei are the beef noodles and oyster omelette and my Taiwanese friend told me these are the must try when visiting. Did you have any?
                        My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

I'm getting more and more convinced I need to visit. The consensus on the food is becoming too persuasive.

Thanks for the quickie TR.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Nice work, SQFG.

The Christmas decor around the damper is a nice touch.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            I'm getting more and more convinced I need to visit.
                            Then just do it already.

(Says he who's been "thinking of" visiting SGN forever...)

The other half and I are visiting TPE over Easter. It'd be his first time; I could swear his eyes just glazed over when I showed him pics of the food. Can't wait to return and start eating again!
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

it is WSAC
                              Changi RSAF airstrip, maybe used for terminal 4
                              I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

Working...
                              X