Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-HKG and back on SQ 744 (Y)

Hi all

After reading all your wonderful TRs, now I have one too. Since this is my first, I hope you'll be a little forgiving if I make any mistakes.

Sector: SIN-HKG
    Flight: SQ 2
    Dep Time: 1750 (actual 1805), Terminal 3 Gate A4
    Arr Time: 2135 (actual 2117), Terminal 1 Gate 26
    Aircraft: Boeing 747-412 9V-SPG
    Seat: 53K

Terminal 3

Special Christmas theme at T3

My ride to HKG. I had flew this plane one before to SYD just last year, and now meet her again. I was actually surprised that she would operate SQ2, having just landed from MEL about 2hrs ago.

SPI next door at A3

View from the window, the cargo door is not closed yet

As we pushback, SQ everywhere.

Jet Airways being towed to T3 for the night departure to India

View from my seat while the safety video is shown

View just after takeoff, rainy Singapore skies

Sunny as we fly over West Malaysia

Meal service

Meal service commenced quickly after takeoff. SIA really gives you a lot of food as compared to other airlines. I chose the fish.

Menu:
    dinner SINGAPORE TO HONG KONG

appetiser
    Pasta and ham salad

main course
    Panfried fish in lemon butter sauce with vegetables and potatoes
    or
    Braised chicken with ginger and onion served with fragrant rice

cheese
    Cheese and crackers

dessert
    Ice cream

from the bakery
    Roll and butter

hot beverages
    Coffee - Tea
    Chinese tea

Comment

Cabin shots

After the trays were cleared, I took a walk around the cabin and got a few shots.
      Economy class cabin

Aircraft info plate next to the last door on the left.

On the way back to my seat, I passed a senior male FA who offered me the chance to take photos of the main Y galley.

View from my seat

Comment

After the flight

View out of the window.

On the way out, I stopped to snap a pic of the Business Class cabin

Thanks to the kind FA (forgot her kebaya colour though) who allowed me to shoot the First Class cabin here:

In Hong Kong, the customs is very thorough and hence very slow. So my baggage was already waiting by the time I cleared. Then it was just a breeze out to the public area.
        Arrival hall. The level on top is the departure hall with some Christmas deco.
        Last edited by wsssaero; 3 December 2008, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Hong Kong

Some of my favourite shots in Hong Kong:
          The Star Ferry

Signboards row after row on the streets competing for space

The skyline of Hong Kong Island

Main Street in Disneyland by night

View from the peak

Ocean Park and the outlying islands
          Last edited by wsssaero; 8 December 2008, 03:41 PM.

Comment

HKG-SIN

Now for the return journey.
            Sector: HKG-SIN
            Flight: SQ 865
            Dep Time: 1830 (actual 1842), Terminal 1 Gate 23
            Arr Time: 2220 (actual 2154), Terminal 3 Gate A4
            Aircraft: Boeing 747-412 9V-SPN
            Seat: 38A

Hong Kong Airport departure hall

I arrived quite early and the check in counters were all available so checkin was quick.

Immigration took me almost half an hour to clear, again very thorough checks for everyone.
            Hong Kong Airport: LH, AC, NZ

Took some pictures around the airport

There is the Cathay AWC 77W parked at the far end of the terminal. However, by the time I walked over to get a pic it had left

By this time my ride home is here...9V-SPN
            Last edited by wsssaero; 15 December 2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

SQ865

My gate, 23. There are no holdrooms here, only a door to the airbridge.

6pm in Hong Kong and SPN sits in the failing light.

Very white airbridge

View from my seat 38A.

While this seat is just in front of the lavs, I find it a rather good seat as its like a 'mini-cabin' all to myself, and no worries about reclining into the person behind. This could be partly due to the short duration of the flight meaning that less people use the lav.

The cabin

Dinner onboard, followed by ice cream.

dinner HONG KONG TO SINGAPORE

international selection

appetiser
              Smoked salmon with potato salad

main course
              Panfried chicken in mustard sauce with stewed vegetables and potatoes

cheese
              Cheese and crackers

dessert
              Ice cream

from the bakery
              Roll and butter

hot beverages
              Coffee-Tea

While the food is good overall, I did find the chicken a little tough.
              Christmas deco, even though I flew in November. The December Silverkris, Krisworld and Krisshop mags were all loaded already.
              Last edited by wsssaero; 15 December 2008, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Arrival

Arrived in Changi early and docked at T3.
                J class cabin shot on the way out.

SPN home in the dark

T3

Arrival hall with the much advertised green wall.

Last edited by wsssaero; 15 December 2008, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, wsssaero.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                    Aircraft info plate next to the last door on the left.
                    Is that mean now Standard Chartered Bank owns 9V-SPG...?

Comment

I believe all of SQ's 744s have been on sell-and-leaseback deals since some time ago. So technically SQ does not own any 744s now.

Comment

Thanks for the TR, wsssaero.

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                        I believe all of SQ's 744s have been on sell-and-leaseback deals since some time ago. So technically SQ does not own any 744s now.
                        You have to draw a distinction between:

(i) A "sale and leaseback" in the sense which I think you're talking about, i.e. the seller sells the aircraft/ship to the buyer but the buyer then leases (or - to use the common English term - hires) it back temporarily.

(ii) A "sale and leaseback" in the financing sense which I think is actually the case here. It's a structure which may have been put in place when the aircraft was first acquired by SQ. For eaxmple, rather than SQ simply borrowing money to buy the aircraft, somebody else (the "lessor") acquires the aircraft and leases/hires the aircraft to SQ. The lessor gets a benefit (usually tax related) and that benefit is reflected in lower hire being paid by SQ. In other words, SQ pay less in hire than what they would have paid if they had gone out and borrowed the money themselves to buy the plane.

From the plate in the picture, you can see that the plane is owned by Tarbenian Leasing Limited (a Cayman Islands company) which leases it to Trakehner Leasing Limited; and Trakehner Leasing Limited sub-leases it to SQ. The lease and sub-lease structure was probably dictated by some tax or other requirement.

Standard Chartered provided the money to enable Tarbenian Leasing Limited to buy the aircraft (or provided some other form of support) for the transaction; and so it has a mortgage on the plane as security (hence the bank is shown as the "mortgagee", i.e. the holder of the mortgage).

It's not uncommon for inidividual expensive assets (e.g. aircraft, cruise ships, liquefied natural gas carriers etc) or a large collection of cheap assets (e.g. shipping containers) to be financed by some form of structured financing. Once you get to a certain point, the fairly large financing costs required to set it up (e.g. banks' fees, arrangers, lawyers and other advisers' fees; etc) are outweighed by the benefits from the transaction.
                        Last edited by jhm; 3 December 2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

(i) A "sale and leaseback" in the sense which I think you're talking about, i.e. the seller sells the aircraft/ship to the buyer but the buyer then leases (or - to use the common English term - hires) it back temporarily.

(ii) A "sale and leaseback" in the financing sense which I think is actually the case here. It's a structure which may have been put in place when the aircraft was first acquired by SQ. For eaxmple, rather than SQ simply borrowing money to buy the aircraft, somebody else (the "lessor") acquires the aircraft and leases/hires the aircraft to SQ. The lessor gets a benefit (usually tax related) and that benefit is reflected in lower hire being paid by SQ. In other words, SQ pay less in hire than what they would have paid if they had gone out and borrowed the money themselves to buy the plane.

From the plate in the picture, you can see that the plane is owned by Tarbenian Leasing Limited (a Cayman Islands company) which leases it to Trakehner Leasing Limited; and Trakehner Leasing Limited sub-leases it to SQ. The lease and sub-lease structure was probably dictated by some tax or other requirement.

Standard Chartered provided the money to enable Tarbenian Leasing Limited to buy the aircraft (or provided some other form of support) for the transaction; and so it has a mortgage on the plane as security (hence the bank is shown as the "mortgagee", i.e. the holder of the mortgage).

It's not uncommon for inidividual expensive assets (e.g. aircraft, cruise ships, liquefied natural gas carriers etc) or a large collection of cheap assets (e.g. shipping containers) to be financed by some form of structured financing. Once you get to a certain point, the fairly large financing costs required to set it up (e.g. banks' fees, arrangers, lawyers and other advisers' fees; etc) are outweighed by the benefits from the transaction.
                          At the end of the day, if we trace backwards and go down to the roots, you probably will find that the money came from the right pocket and then went back into the left pocket.... ahhhh.... the sleazy world of assets financing!!!

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

My goodness. Why can't one just waltz up to the seattle showroom and say "gimme one in white with a blue stripe with gold accents. and put 12 brown leather seats in the front, 50 purple seats behind it and upstairs, and 313 seats at the back. Here's the cheque!"

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              My goodness. Why can't one just waltz up to the seattle showroom and say "gimme one in white with a blue stripe with gold accents. and put 12 brown leather seats in the front, 50 purple seats behind it and upstairs, and 313 seats at the back. Here's the cheque!"
                              Eh! Can you give bankers and lawyers a break?

Their rice bowl to make our lives complicated

Comment

Working...
                              X