X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flo caught the gold fever!

Part I: I thought SKG wasn't due yet...

Good day – Grüezzi – Kalimera!

Once again, it's winter time in Europe. Not only does this time of the year stand for Santa Clause, snow and winter sports I try to avoid at all costs... no, it also stands for great fares on SWISS Business Class, the notorious Y-Flyer from Austria was blinded by. This will probably become a very weird bunch of reports as I wasn't really staying in places too long - you have to know, I was still a mileage-run virgin.

Prelude

The 'gold rush' basically started at work, when I browsed for some flights as I came across those great fares on SWISS Business. Instantly, I booked a flight to Thessaloniki because it's supposed to be the most easy-going destination to turn around. The run basically meant departing Vienna in the late evening, arriving in Thessaloniki past midnight and turning around to be home for breakfast in Vienna again. Sounded like a perfect plan to me, considering I will get roughly 6000 miles for about 300 euros. A bit more than 5 cent per mile are acceptable in Europe, especially when requalifying for BD Gold is pretty hard on low SQ booking classes. I think this is my problem: I would not buy full fare Economy because it's simply not worth it for me. I don't get a better product than somebody who probably paid half as much as I'd have paid. So I just had to make these unorthodox mileage runs.

After booking the tickets to Thessaloniki, I had to go for another one. Athens was the next target as it gives even more miles but involves a slightly more time-consuming turnaround. But I am a pretty hard core guy to mess with, right? xD With the two trips ticketed on the second and third weekend in November, I was set to call up my SWISS agent to reserve some good seats for the upcoming flights. No good seats were available for me, so I had to settle for rows 2 and 3. Well, at least I have a window.

Off it goes

Friday was a very exhausting day. Work was pretty laid-back as both of my bosses weren't in and my team mate was in MUC. So I was basically alone, finally, getting things done without people interrupting me like all the time. The fact that we're off at 4 PM on friday was very great as well but I still had to attend a uni course at 6.30 PM which would keep me busy till 8. Pretty exhausted, I went home and prepared to go out - there was a great drum and bass party going on this night. But before that, I finally had time to squeeze in our Kazakhstan-DO.

Watching Borat, the Ali G. show and the A380 delivery video that ran on ARD, Germany's national TV channel, with zauberflöte and petz was finally something very great this day. However, I underestimated how unwillingly my body seemed to like my day planning ... so it was no drum and bass event for me afterwards but rushing to Burger King, getting a Double Whopper without pickles and onions plus extra cheese, eating, watching Futurama and testing the cyan blue LED mood lighting system my friend Raffael installed at his home together with some very nice Ambient music by Aphex Twin (the early works ... man, I love Xtal) and Secede's Tryshasla album (gosh, Leraine featuring Kettel is probably one of the best songs for me!) ... together with some new age from Enigma ... was very nice too.

Woke up at 10 AM, went to celebrate the birthday of a person very close to me and had a Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee at the Mocca Lounge near Naschmarkt before Raffael and humble me went to the airport.

Calm Vienna evening ... rainy, though.

Hello, VIE. This time not coming from the trains!

Hello again, dear check-in hall.

Checked in, three tickets... apparently the check-in machine wanted me to stay in ZRH!

It's a luxury having a friend driving you to the airport and I am so thankful I did not have to take the train this time. Checked in at the self check-in machines and rushed thru the passport checks. First time at the A-gate sided SEN lounges which were disappointing in comparison with the normal Business Lounge. I tried to speak to 4 (!) persons who apparently wanted to avoid conversation if I could boost them into the lounge but they all denied. Strange folks, I tell you... strange folks.

Having a glass of Johnny Walker Red Label in the lounge.

OS SEN Lounge Pier West... errr... flowers on the wall.

Boarded LX 1583 en route to Zurich - priority boarding for C and Star Gold does matter! First aboard ... wonderful.

Flight: LX 1583
    Departing: VIE - Vienna International
    Arriving: ZRH - Zürich Kloten
    Aircraft: Airbus 320
    Reg/Name: HB-IJP
    Seat: 3F

Got comfy in my seat and hoped I would not see a seat neighbour. Thankfully, I got a row for myself and the C cabin was only filled with 6 people whereas the Y cabin was packed full. Got my Henniez water, a refreshing towel which came in just so handy and off we were.

Rather empty flight.

I asked the Maite D, Juan, if they loaded the Charles Heidsieck Blue Top and he told me he thought it was the Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin. He came back with the Heidsieck and apologized for giving me the wrong information. Food-time usually means a satisfied Flo but this time I could only eat half of the mains as the salad was not too much of my taste.

My Heidsieck.

Time to dig in!

Got a cup of coffee and two Swiss chocs for my friends in Vienna. Yay. I asked the Maitre D which registration the aircraft had and he instantly told me. Because he was so delightful, I told him that I wanted to counter the trend that everybody always just seems to mention something when somebody does something badly and asked him if I could complement him. He was very happy and handed me a form to fill out, which I did.

Coffee. My favorite xD

Also the first time aboard for my SQTalk tag - thanks StarG!!

When deboarding in Zurich, he came to me and said "Mr. Wagner, thanks for flying with us and I hope I will see you soon aboard again. It was a real pleasure to fly with you!" which I found very nice as he called me by my name.
    Last edited by flo; 11 November 2008, 02:42 AM.
    Home is where your heart is.

Zürich - Terminal A

Airport art ... xD ... taken during landing.

Spotted mama SQ341. The plane actually took of nearly 2hrs late (!)

... aaaah good ol' Kloten again. Haven't been here since January and instantly checked out the new SEN lounge which was very calm and quiet. Not many people there. Had my second glass of Red Label there and hooked myself up to the net. Chatted with friends from Vienna and a Singapore friend who once again was Intoxicating, Entertaining and just Loveable again ... did not want to miss my flight, ate a few gummy bears and off to my next flight I was. I was right there, had to wait a few minutes at the First/Business security line and again at the gate area when I was finally let in.

Very minimalist design.

They have Sony Vaio computers there with Vista. I prefer my own hardware! xD

Flight: LX 1850
    Departing: ZRH - Zürich Kloten
    Arriving: SKG - Thessaloniki
    Reg/Name: HB-IJS - Kloten
    Seat: 3A

My ride for the next three flights: HB-IJS "Kloten"

The Economy Class cabin was packed full, whilst I was almost soloing in Business Class. A couple from the francophone part of Switzerland and I were the only guests in C this time. The flight attendants were friendly but not really attentive nor careful. The one FA almost spilled 7UP over my MacBook Pro and just said "Oops". I bet she did not know that this thing was essential to me and cost me over 2000 Euros with insurance etc... she wouldn't just say "Oops" but apologize if she knew. Anyway, she was very friendly and when I told her that I will be seeing her again 3 hours after our landing in Thessaloniki, she was curious and asked why I did this route. Hehe.

The food on this flight was stunningly delicious. Probably even better than that one meal I always counted as my favorite of airline meals ever: I flew from GVA to VIE on Lauda Air and had chanterelle-cheese casserole. Yumm. This time it was even better. I don't quite get this: on the ground I don't really like mushrooms but in the air, I seem to love them.

Mains: Cordon bleu, mushrooms and rice with cheese. Yummmmm.

Salad with olive oil & aceto balsamico. Yummmm.

Cheese platter and desert were rather uninteresting, so no pics ... xD

We made our way through a thick soup of either very low hanging clouds or fog and landed safely in Thessaloniki, where we were picked up by a bus that took us to the terminal building. There are only remote gates in Thessaloniki and when I entered the bus, I wanted to snatch a photo of the Airbus 320, a grim security lady forbade me to do so.
    Last edited by flo; 11 November 2008, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Thessaloniki
      I went for a quick stroll outside the terminal and watched some Aegean planes, re-entered the building and looked for a power outlet for about 15 minutes before I could hook my laptop up one. I watched an episode of "Life" and went to the check-in desk. There I picked up my 8 Euro voucher as the lounge was not open yet. I exchanged my voucher for a Tirapita with cottage cheese, a cuppa Greek coffe, a bottle of still water and a packet of gums before I felt seriously ill because of just eating too much.

Small but nice airport.

I thought Macedonia was a country. Now I know that Makedonia is also a Greek province xD

Boarding was handled very chaotically and again, me and a woman with a baby were the only J-pax. All the people going to the back of the plane looked estranged at me as if they did not believe a youngster like me in tshirt, hoodie, jeans and kicks sat in Business Class whilst suit wearing Greeks had to sit in the back. Seriously, this one guy even asked me if I just tried out my luck by taking this seat and that they would not notice and asked me if he should do the same thing ... weird, weird. He was not successful btw.

Flight: LX 1851
      Departing: SKG - Thessaloniki Makedonia
      Arriving: ZRH - Zürich Kloten
      Seat: 2F reserved, 1A on the ticket and in fact I was in 2A

Same crew, same aircraft. We took off into the early morning and I asked the Maitre D if he could wake me up half an hour before our landing and serve me brekkies then, which he did.

2 1/2 passengers: me, a woman and her baby

For all of those who seriously doubt spinach is an appropriate breakfast dish, don't fly SWISS. I had a platter of some potato wedges, a sausage and some kind of a spinach omelet muffin, a fruit platter and a black tea before landing and finally was on my way back again.

Brekkies. Yumm.
      Last edited by flo; 11 November 2008, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Flight: LX 1574
        Departing: ZRH - Zürich Kloten
        Arriving: VIE - Vienna International
        Seat: 3F

Same machine but way more Business Class passengers. Half the plane was designated for J-pax and it was pretty cramped there. I skipped second breakfast as I felt like I am going to burst and went straight to my dreamland again.

Woke up when the plane touched down in VIE again, made a quick run for the passport checks and off I was.

The train home was already there as if it was waiting for me and at 9:15, I was already home... ! This is amazing, given that I deboarded the plane at 8:35.

Conclusion
        So.... I thought flying was fun. Yes, it definitely was but still, I cannot imagine living in the US doing crazy backtracking routings to complete mileage runs. This trip was so exhausting and I was still flying Business Class and only had four moderately short flights! Man, I am still so dead after fulfilling this stroke of wickedness I had. Next week, it's off to Athens with a way longer layover... just to squeeze out a few more miles. I was crazy booking all those tickets without knowing if my body could handle this. Apparently it can but it is still extremely exhausting and I fear I won't be able to recover fast enough ....

Anyway, another note to myself: don't book row 1 on those SWISS short haulers ... because of the wall in front of you, nobody can recline in front of you, yet your legroom is very limited. Rows 2 and 3 are better.

And just for fun: some more airport art.

Last edited by flo; 11 November 2008, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Part II: I only used to transit here...

The second part of this TR - to be due this weekend - LX C again to Athens!

Comment

... ! ...

Comment

... !! ...

Comment

... !!! ...

There will be a third one too, but this one might become a bit bigger. Not confirmed yet, tough.

Comment

Ah, a mileage run! phaleesy and I were looking only yesterday at your flights and wondering whether it was.

Comment

haha yes ... did you look at my BA97? i even put "BD Gold Run" there in the info box

Comment

Excellent report I took this same route on LX when it was still Crossair some years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                        haha yes ... did you look at my BA97? i even put "BD Gold Run" there in the info box
                        Whoops! We must have missed the info box as we were so mystified by what you were doing. Flo, Flo, Flo, you're mad! All the way to a nice interesting city like Thessaloniki and you turn around ?

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                        There are only remote gates in Thessaloniki and when I entered the bus, I wanted to snatch a photo of the Airbus 320, a grim security lady forbade me to do so.
                        Indeed. Google "Greek plane spotters" for an idea of what can happen!

Comment

Dude, that C Class is looking an awful similar to a whY. What's up with SWISS? Scary.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Dude, that C Class is looking an awful similar to a whY. What's up with SWISS? Scary.
                            Pretty standard for intra Europe C.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Pretty standard for intra Europe C.
                              Still scary, nonetheless...
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X