Entering Australia - Grrrrr !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    The have a new Novotel right next to the international terminal and it's just too handy when you have a load of domestic flights over a period of days to stay there rather then schlep into the city and back. I like Auckland, but I've been there a few times so I just couldn't be bothered going backwards and forwards for three days.
    But it (and the airport)'s in the middle of nowhere (unless you're visiting people nearby)...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      But it (and the airport)'s in the middle of nowhere (unless you're visiting people nearby)...
      Exactly. I wasn't visiting anyone nearby, or anywhere around Auckland. All my trips were flights to CHC, IVC, WRE (which got cancelled when they grounded the Beech 1900's and I had to hire a car and drive there and back) so there was no point staying in the city as an hour each way at the beginning and end of the day. I'd rather have an extra hour in bed, and I'd stay there again next time I was going to the same places.

Of course, the fact there is no longer a Starwood or Hyatt property in the city and just an uninspiring Hilton helps the Novotels case.

Comment

Exactly. I wasn't visiting anyone nearby, or anywhere around Auckland. All my trips were flights to CHC, IVC, WRE (which got cancelled when they grounded the Beech 1900's and I had to hire a car and drive there and back) so there was no point staying in the city as an hour each way at the beginning and end of the day. I'd rather have an extra hour in bed, and I'd stay there again next time I was going to the same places.

Of course, the fact there is no longer a Starwood or Hyatt property in the city and just an uninspiring Hilton helps the Novotels case.
        last time i stayed at the auckland hilton i got a bow suite upgrade from the cheapest room as a HH diamond, it was lovely
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

I'm with sqdazz on this one... I was extremely happy with my room at the Hilton and I'd do it again (almost exactly a year on and I still remember it fondly)

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
            last time i stayed at the auckland hilton i got a bow suite upgrade from the cheapest room as a HH diamond, it was lovely
            I'm with sqdazz on this one... I was extremely happy with my room at the Hilton and I'd do it again (almost exactly a year on and I still remember it fondly)
            OK, I was probably being a little harsh on the Hilton. But having stayed there half a dozen times I had no desire to bother with the hour each way to go back there. The last couple of stays (granted 2 or 3 years ago now) I recall very indifferent staff and the nice views being ruined by the big crusie ship outside my window.

I used to quite like the Westin but that's gone now, as has the Hyatt and the Sheraton where I also stayed a couple of times.

Comment

Thumbs up for the ex-Westin Viaduct! Nice property also, poor location though!

Comment

Thumbs up for the ex-Westin Viaduct! Nice property also, poor location though!
                Should help you being a Le Club Plat Kyo - as it's now a Sofitel...

Comment

Gunnar, thanks for the tip, no trips to AKL planned unfortunately and Hilton treated me so well I am inclined to return

Comment

I have to agree with Man Flyer on this one. Staying in city central is a waste of time if there isn't a need to. Traffic in Auckland can also be unpredictable. Trust me, I battle this almost everyday!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sqakl View Post
                      I have to agree with Man Flyer on this one. Staying in city central is a waste of time if there isn't a need to. Traffic in Auckland can also be unpredictable. Trust me, I battle this almost everyday!
                      oh i do agree with that. Was only saying the Auckland Hilton isn't a bad property. I quite enjoyed my stay there. Of course I am nowhere NEAR as experienced as our MAN Flyer!

Comment

• Just picked up this thread after a while off this site. Back to the original premise of this thread, I think Aussie immigration (from an Aussie's perspective) have got their act together with the new Smart Booths. My last arrival from India had me in a taxi from Tullamarine roughly 25 mins after stepping off the plane. Long may it last!!

Comment

• I had a great experience with smartgate a few months ago and today also a good entry into the country at MEL this afternoon after flying in from BKK, and that was with a custom officer. I think aircraft to landside was 15 minutes.

they have changed to a new navy blue uniform too

Comment

• Sydney on Wednesday morning with all the red eyes from Europe was fantastic, a very small Q for immigration (5min wait) and then I basically walked straight through customs/quarantine.

I was landside and in my lift home within 30mins which was pretty good I thought.

Comment

• will there be long queues on weekday mornings about 11-12nn arrival at sydney?

Comment

• Flew in to PER last week and was literally entering my Room in the Hyatt 45-50 minutes after disembarking SQ215.

Comment

Working...
                                X