Disaster trip to Singapore - Baggage Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster trip to Singapore - Baggage Saga

On Monday the 3rd August while flying from Corfu (Greece) to Singapore via Istanbul all my luggage was lost. Details below edited for privacy. I have already called Singapore PPS club and have reported the baggage missing at Changi when we arrived, the baggage is listed on https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/ but is showing nothing. We know the luggage got as far as the Turkish Airlines check in desk in Athens. Does anyone have any clever ideas as to how else we might trace this luggage?

Passenger Name:
    Mad Wombat

To: Singapore

Airline: Turkish Airlines
    Flight: TK 1846

Airline: Singapore
    Flight: SQ 391

Has Singapore Krisflyer gold tag on the handle in the name of my partner with his Singapore frequent flyer number. Suitcase contains items belonging to both me and my partne, including medical equipment that we were unable to take on board as Aegean are enforcing one piece of cabin baggage, as well as medication needed for our stay in Singapore.

Aegean booking reference 69Uxxx from Corfu to Istanbul via Athens, followed by Singapore Airlines booking reference 69Txxx, Istanbul to Singapore.

Flight originated in Corfu to Istanbul via Athens. Suitcase was checked to Athens only as the agent in Corfu was convinced that Aegean and Turkish didn't cooperate even though the ticket was booked via Aegean and the flight was code-share with Turkish. The bag was collected from the arrivals hall at Athens airport and checked into the Istanbul flight on Turkish Airlines (TK 1846) possibly with the baggage tag TK4618091. Again the agent at the Turkish Airlines desk was unable to check the bag through to the final destination, Singapore, but assured us that there was plenty of time to collect the bag and recheck it at Istanbul. On arrival in Istanbul due to flight delays there was no time to collect the bag and recheck it to Singapore so we went to the Singapore transfer desk where the agent at the priority/business class desk took the baggage claim tag and sent someone to collect the bag and put it on the Singapore flight, with a new baggage tag numbered 0235 TK 063459 and issued us both with boarding passes for flight SQ391. The bag hasn't been seen since, possibly it is in the arrivals hall in Istanbul and maybe never left Athens.

After checking in the suitcase in Athens, I have contacted the PPS phone line in Istanbul to advise them of the inability to check the baggage through to Singapore. The agent I spoke to assured me that the bag ought to have been checked through. However, as I was passed security and passport control at Athens it was not possible to go back to the check-in desk of Turkish airlines.
    Last edited by Stripakis; 8 August 2015, 08:53 PM. Reason: title change

If i were to hazard a guess, the bag is likely in Istanbul lost and found, without the new tags for SQ391, but still bearing the tags from TK1846.

That you got two new bag tags from the transfer counter doesn't mean someone went to the arrivals carousel for TK1846, picked it up and retagged it. He or she may have meant to, but probably forgot. (how long did you have to wait for those new baggage receipts? Long or suspiciously quickly? This isn't a very quick process)

i suggest tracing using the OLD tag numbers from TK1846 also, and not the new one you got for SQ391 - as I suspect the new tag may not necessarily have been attached to the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      If i were to hazard a guess, the bag is likely in Istanbul lost and found, without the new tags for SQ391, but still bearing the tags from TK1846.

That you got two new bag tags from the transfer counter doesn't mean someone went to the arrivals carousel for TK1846, picked it up and retagged it. He or she may have meant to, but probably forgot. (how long did you have to wait for those new baggage receipts? Long or suspiciously quickly? This isn't a very quick process)

i suggest tracing using the OLD tag numbers from TK1846 also, and not the new one you got for SQ391 - as I suspect the new tag may not necessarily have been attached to the bag.
      Thanks for this advice. Have asked SQ to consider tracing with the old ticket tag for TK8146. The new tag was given to us on the spot, at the same time the old tag was removed from the used TK boarding pass. I saw the agent leaving his desk holding in his hand the old tag and the new tag (the part that goes around the suitcase handle). As we were running to make the gate (which was 20 minutes walk) we cannot know what the agent actually did. It may be that, as you say, the bag is in the lost and found at Istanbul.

Maybe asking PPS in Istanbul to check the lost and found area.

Comment

Apparently found bag

Thank you for your suggestion. We wrote directly to the lost and found department in Istanbul and recieved the following within the hour.

Which we assume means it has been found.

Stripes

DEAR PASSANGER ;

TK will fwd your baggage to SIN by tk54/06aug .

MR01 WM FWD ISTTK

- AHL SINSQ88816

- FO TK0054/06AUG

- FW SINTK/ISTTK

- TN 0235063459

- XT 0235063459

- AG ENDER

- FB 1

- FS IST

- HC N

- NM JOANNA

- RL 50

- TX SINBLXH

-

UPDATE ONLY UPDATE AND PAGE NEXT

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by Stripakis View Post
          Thank you for your suggestion. We wrote directly to the lost and found department in Istanbul and recieved the following within the hour.

Which we assume means it has been found.

Stripes

DEAR PASSANGER ;

TK will fwd your baggage to SIN by tk54/06aug .

MR01 WM FWD ISTTK

- AHL SINSQ88816

- FO TK0054/06AUG

- FW SINTK/ISTTK

- TN 0235063459

- XT 0235063459

- AG ENDER

- FB 1

- FS IST

- HC N

- NM JOANNA

- RL 50

- TX SINBLXH

-

UPDATE ONLY UPDATE AND PAGE NEXT

Best regards

There you go

Comment

Doesn't sound like a TR. Should this be moved to the All About Singapore Airlines section?

Comment

Sounds like the thread title should be renamed Disaster Averted! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                Sounds like the thread title should be renamed Disaster Averted! :-)
                Indeed. Not sure how to change the thread title!

Comment

Working...
                X