MEL-SYD-MEL on DJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEL-SYD-MEL on DJ

Popped by to Sydney for a few days and flew via Virgin Blue (DJ), and I managed to get cheap(er) tickets for the MEL-SYD portion ($70) as there was some promotion going on. SYD-MEL was too close to Christmas I think for promotional rate, and so the fare was $112 or something.

Shall start first with the MEL-SYD portion on DJ845, 16th Dec 2008. Had a long time to view planes after checking in at Terminal 3 (Virgin Blue Terminal), as the incoming plane for DJ845 was delayed by 30 minutes. This did not bother me much as I managed to get my fill of Virgin Blue planes.

VH-VBA "Brizzie Lizzie" - Boeing 737-700.

VH-VBT "Launie Lass" - Boeing 737-700, with an NZ124 (B747) to Auckland in the background.

VH-VBY "Virginia Blue" - Boeing 737-700, the only Virgin Blue plane actually painted blue.

VH-VON "Scarlett Blue" - Boeing 737-800.

VH-VUG "Jasmine Tasman" - Boeing 737-800.

My flight was DJ845, and I had planned for this particular flight because instead of the usual B737, DJ has just purchased a few Embraer 170s and 190s last year, and I wanted to try out one of the small E-jets. So checking the schedules back in October, I booked to fly on this particular Embraer 170. I was actually very excited about flying in this small single asile 2 x 2 configuration aircraft!

VH-ZHC "Irresista Blue" - Embraer 170.

As previously mentioned, VH-ZHC came into T3 as a 30 minute delayed DJ834 from Sydney.

DJ834 comes in late from Sydney.

DJ845 Refueling and uploading luggage.

Another DJ flight taxiing for takeoff behind.

Climbing...

Among the clouds!

Comment

In the cabin, I managed to jump into a window seat 7A (which was not assigned to me)

DJ receipt boarding pass.

Very good leg room, considering it is a budget flight!

Cabin view from the rear.

Cabin view from the front.

The only real noticable difference between the seats of the usual 737 and the E170 is that the E170 does not have the pay-per-use in-flight entertainment system which DJ has on most (all?) of their 737s. This is not an issue as the flight time is very short only.

V-Licious menu, but I did not have anything on this flight.

After a very short one hour and thirty minutes, we have arrived in Sydney! Overall it was a very good flight, and the engine noise was not loud at all. Will definitely recommend trying out the Embraers for short haul flights.

Over NSW already?!

That was fast!

Comment

SYD-MEL on DJ852

My return trip was on DJ852 (737-700), as I was not able to find another E-jet which flew at an acceptable timing. The Sydney T2 in my opinion is less conducive for picture taking. This time the best place for me to plane watch after checking in was from the cafe. This allowed me to try out a relatively new lens I bought (Canon EF 70-300mm DO IS), which is a pretty crap lens even when stopped down (especially at the tele-end), as the pictures will show. It is really not hard to spot which pictures were taken with this lens.

VH-ZHB "Braziliant Blue" - Embraer 170 and VH-VBH "Spirit of Salty" - Boeing 737-700.

Row of Virgins.

I would be flying today on VH-VBQ "La Blue Femme". I cannot remember if the flight came in late and caused me to be delayed, but I think it did.

VH-VBQ "La Blue Femme" - Boeing 737-700 coming in.

VH-VBQ at gate 33.

Comment

First time I have had to step on the tarmac to board a flight.

Pretty decent seat pitch, but I think there was an inch or two more on the Embraer 170. In theory both are supposed to be 31 inches, so go figure. Might have put on some weight in Sydney?

Seat pitch.

IFE (Foxtel) beamed directly by satallite, which you pay for by swiping your credit card. IIRC it was $4.50 for a flight under two hours. Did not need this.

Unavailable at intervals due to turbulance.

The one thing I liked about flying out of Sydney was the amazing view. As those of you in Sydney may know, you can constantly see planes flying by the city everyday.

Sydney harbour bridge can be seen!

Comment

I was seated in seat 18A. Pretty disappointed when 18B and 18D got filled up by a brother and sister (parents were in 18E and 18F) just as the doors were about to close, as there were a few empty rows around, but I would not have access to them until the plane started cruising! Lucky for me, the moment the seatbelt sign went off, I was able to jump in front into seat 17A, and have all three seats in that row to myself...

Ahhh, above the clouds once again.

Got a bit peckish, so I decided to order a snack from the menu. I do not know what made me order $4 Nissin cup noodles (craving perhaps? do not remember), must not have been thinking straight.

$11 snack.

View of the cabin from the rear. I think 50% of the flight had a one side of a row to themselves!

Upon reaching Melbourne, disembarkation was through the rear onto the tarmac again.

The flight was generally ok again this time round. I prefered the Embraer 170 flight ex-MEL (maybe because of the novelty?) but generally both flights were comparable. Highly recommend DJ for budget conscious travelers, as you can often get good deals for flights like with Jetstar. While the cost difference with Qantas is not that much, flying short haul, dollar for dollar it is still a cost saving for similar level of service.

The end. Full series of pictures available here.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, jn82! The next time I am around, I will definitely opt for Virgin Blue instead of flying Qantas. Those Embraers sure are pretty....
              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I miss the blue virgins! Thanks for the reminder

Comment

Working...
                X