NH802 (SIN-NRT) Economy Class Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NH802 (SIN-NRT) Economy Class Trip Report

Hey everyone! I've finally figured how to properly upload photos using Flickr here. Apologies for my previous posts. Anyway, today I present to you a trip report of NH802!

It has been a long while since I last flew to Japan. And so I was super duper eggcited about today’s flight because I’d be flying ANA’s Boeing 777-300ER and I’ve not reviewed ANA before. My flight home in a few days time will be from Haneda and it’ll be on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. So stay tuned for that review! I’ve read so much about ANA’s recently updated Economy Class and so I was looking forward to reviewing the seats, the inflight entertainment and of course, the food onboard this flight.

NH802 departs Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 2 at 0550 so that means the check-in counters open at 0250. Such an ungodly timing! This is a sure-fire way to mess-up one’s internal body-clock. Lol. #firstworldproblems

Though I spent some time at the Singapore Airlines Star Alliance Gold Lounge prior to the flight, I decided not to review it as there was nothing much to write about (mainly because there was nothing to eat at the lounge sans cornflakes and coffee heh). That being said, I’ve reviewed the Silverkris Lounge at Terminal 2 before and you can read more about it here.

Anyway boarding at the gate was conducted in a typically Japanese fashion i.e. very orderly. I made sure that I was one of the first to board the plane as I wanted to get a good shot of the Economy Class cabin:

I was seated at 30C for this flight.

First impressions of the seat was pretty good! I found the width of the seat okay and the padding, alright. The seat recline, though, was very weird! Instead of reclining backwards, the seat slides forward to create an illusion of recline. Haha! In its fullest recline mode, I didn’t find the seat too comfortable. Instead, I consistently felt as if I was sliding off the seat (and I hadn’t drunk anything alcoholic yet)! Heh.

However, because 30C was an emergency row bulkhead seat, I had AMPLE legroom:

So even if I did slide off the seat, I had enough space to cushion my fall. Heh. #tryingtobefunny

But seriously speaking though, the legroom for this seat was fantastic and made a 7+ hour flight very comfortable for me! I highly recommend this seat!

Take off was smooth albeit a tad noisy due to the mighty might GE90s. Soon we were airborne. YAY!

Whilst waiting for meal service to begin, I spent some time playing around with the inflight entertainment (IFE):

The screen size was okay but the overall user-experience was merely average. Compared with Emirates and Singapore Airlines, ANA’s selection of movies and television sitcoms were definitely limited. However, I found it very interesting that the IFE had a “Sky Shop” catalog function for passengers to peruse products on sale for this flight.

Menus were soon distributed (and taken away very quickly) and I chose the “Chinese-style rice porridge”. The other option was “scrambled eggs” which didn’t look too appetising. Heh.

Here’s a photo of my food-tray which was served to me shortly after orders were taken:

The white-box on the left of the picture was the main breakfast dish i.e. the rice porridge. I liked how soba, pickled vegetables and fruits were served alongside breakfast. A small cup of Orange Juice and a bottle of “Kirishima Mineral Water” was presented on my food-tray as well.

The soba was a refreshing treat and I enjoyed it very very much. The fruits and pickled vegetables were okay.

The main dish of breakfast i.e. the porridge was merely so-so. The porridge tasted bland though it improved a bit after I added a few drops of soya sauce. Though it kept me full throughout the flight, it was nonetheless mediocre and forgettable. The soba was wayyyyyyyy better and I would’ve gladly traded in my porridge for more servings of the soba. Haha!

After my food-tray was cleared, I proceeded to devour some of the books that I had on my Kindle. I have this strange tendency of being super productive on a flight and I tend to read especially fast with rapt attention whenever I’m flying. Hmmmmmm … Maybe it has something to do with the pressure/temperature/air of the cabin. Heh.

Anyway, cabin-crew service throughout the flight was top-notch! I found it interesting that all of them assumed that I spoke Japanese and always spoke Japanese to me first before switching to English after they saw my horrified frantic bemused look. I tried speaking to them in Japanese at times but my Japanese is very broken and my vocabulary is very limited, limited to one word, really: sumimasen. Heh. (I’m your typical obnoxious Japanese tourist who says sumimasen this, sumimasen that, sumimasen for just about anything and everything … ) That being said, I had no difficulties communicating with them in English and every request was granted with graciousness and a friendly smile — a hallmark of Japanese hospitality.

Soon, the Captain informed us that we’d be beginning our descent into Tokyo Narita Airport and we got ready landing. And shortly after, we landed safely and arrived at our hanger. I managed to snap this quick photo of the plane once I deplaned:

Flying with ANA was a pleasant experience. The cabin-crew was top-notch and service was very good. The food and the IFE, though not on par with Singapore Airlines and Emirates IMHO, was nonetheless acceptable. The seat, apart from the unusual (and fairly uncomfortable) recline, was alright as well. All in all, I found this flight quite value-for-money and perfectly acceptable given its heavily discounted price (at least during the time in which I purchased my tickets). 7.5/10!
    Last edited by Chrisflyer89; 14 September 2015, 09:34 PM. Reason: Photos not showing up!

Thanks! Er...pictures still not showing up. Is it a permissions issue? Are the pictures set to public?

Comment

OH goodness. Yes! The pictures are all set to public! I don't know why this keeps happening. �� Hmmm ... I'll re-upload the photos and edit my post accordingly. Hopefully it'll work this time. (And thanks for your patience, yflyer.)

Comment

The pics are not showing because the links you have are not the direct link to the photos themselves but probably the page that contains them. The link should end with a ".jpg".

Originally posted by Chrisflyer89 View Post
        Hey everyone! I've finally figured how to properly upload photos using Flickr here. Apologies for my previous posts. Anyway, today I present to you a trip report of NH802!

It has been a long while since I last flew to Japan. And so I was super duper eggcited about today’s flight because I’d be flying ANA’s Boeing 777-300ER and I’ve not reviewed ANA before. My flight home in a few days time will be from Haneda and it’ll be on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. So stay tuned for that review! I’ve read so much about ANA’s recently updated Economy Class and so I was looking forward to reviewing the seats, the inflight entertainment and of course, the food onboard this flight.

NH802 departs Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 2 at 0550 so that means the check-in counters open at 0250. Such an ungodly timing! This is a sure-fire way to mess-up one’s internal body-clock. Lol. #firstworldproblems

Though I spent some time at the Singapore Airlines Star Alliance Gold Lounge prior to the flight, I decided not to review it as there was nothing much to write about (mainly because there was nothing to eat at the lounge sans cornflakes and coffee heh). That being said, I’ve reviewed the Silverkris Lounge at Terminal 2 before and you can read more about it here.

Anyway boarding at the gate was conducted in a typically Japanese fashion i.e. very orderly. I made sure that I was one of the first to board the plane as I wanted to get a good shot of the Economy Class cabin:

I was seated at 30C for this flight.

First impressions of the seat was pretty good! I found the width of the seat okay and the padding, alright. The seat recline, though, was very weird! Instead of reclining backwards, the seat slides forward to create an illusion of recline. Haha! In its fullest recline mode, I didn’t find the seat too comfortable. Instead, I consistently felt as if I was sliding off the seat (and I hadn’t drunk anything alcoholic yet)! Heh.

However, because 30C was an emergency row bulkhead seat, I had AMPLE legroom:

So even if I did slide off the seat, I had enough space to cushion my fall. Heh. #tryingtobefunny

But seriously speaking though, the legroom for this seat was fantastic and made a 7+ hour flight very comfortable for me! I highly recommend this seat!

Take off was smooth albeit a tad noisy due to the mighty might GE90s. Soon we were airborne. YAY!

Whilst waiting for meal service to begin, I spent some time playing around with the inflight entertainment (IFE):

The screen size was okay but the overall user-experience was merely average. Compared with Emirates and Singapore Airlines, ANA’s selection of movies and television sitcoms were definitely limited. However, I found it very interesting that the IFE had a “Sky Shop” catalog function for passengers to peruse products on sale for this flight.

Menus were soon distributed (and taken away very quickly) and I chose the “Chinese-style rice porridge”. The other option was “scrambled eggs” which didn’t look too appetising. Heh.

Here’s a photo of my food-tray which was served to me shortly after orders were taken:

The white-box on the left of the picture was the main breakfast dish i.e. the rice porridge. I liked how soba, pickled vegetables and fruits were served alongside breakfast. A small cup of Orange Juice and a bottle of “Kirishima Mineral Water” was presented on my food-tray as well.

The soba was a refreshing treat and I enjoyed it very very much. The fruits and pickled vegetables were okay.

The main dish of breakfast i.e. the porridge was merely so-so. The porridge tasted bland though it improved a bit after I added a few drops of soya sauce. Though it kept me full throughout the flight, it was nonetheless mediocre and forgettable. The soba was wayyyyyyyy better and I would’ve gladly traded in my porridge for more servings of the soba. Haha!

After my food-tray was cleared, I proceeded to devour some of the books that I had on my Kindle. I have this strange tendency of being super productive on a flight and I tend to read especially fast with rapt attention whenever I’m flying. Hmmmmmm … Maybe it has something to do with the pressure/temperature/air of the cabin. Heh.

Anyway, cabin-crew service throughout the flight was top-notch! I found it interesting that all of them assumed that I spoke Japanese and always spoke Japanese to me first before switching to English after they saw my horrified frantic bemused look. I tried speaking to them in Japanese at times but my Japanese is very broken and my vocabulary is very limited, limited to one word, really: sumimasen. Heh. (I’m your typical obnoxious Japanese tourist who says sumimasen this, sumimasen that, sumimasen for just about anything and everything … ) That being said, I had no difficulties communicating with them in English and every request was granted with graciousness and a friendly smile — a hallmark of Japanese hospitality.

Soon, the Captain informed us that we’d be beginning our descent into Tokyo Narita Airport and we got ready landing. And shortly after, we landed safely and arrived at our hanger. I managed to snap this quick photo of the plane once I deplaned:

Flying with ANA was a pleasant experience. The cabin-crew was top-notch and service was very good. The food and the IFE, though not on par with Singapore Airlines and Emirates IMHO, was nonetheless acceptable. The seat, apart from the unusual (and fairly uncomfortable) recline, was alright as well. All in all, I found this flight quite value-for-money and perfectly acceptable given its heavily discounted price (at least during the time in which I purchased my tickets). 7.5/10!

Comment

Working...
        X