Kuching Weekender by MH and AK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuching Weekender by MH and AK

This will just be a short report on a long weekend trip I took over the recent public holiday to Kuching, which was only an hour's flight away from Singapore. The tickets (going up on Malaysia Airlines and return on Air Asia due to the favourable flight timings), booked barely 3 weeks prior, were very affordable, but prices rose quickly after more travellers also booked their weekend trips.

Proceeded to the Changi Terminal 2 after performing my duty as a SG citizen by casting my vote in the recent election. MH counters were rather empty even though the flight ended up full. Flight was retimed from 1250hrs to 1340hrs because of late arrival due to haze conditions in Kuching, which briefly hampered landings in the morning.

Boarding pass.

Courtesy of Priority Pass, I visited the SATS Premier Lounge in T2, which is also used by MH and a few other airlines' premium passengers. Lounge was of average size with acceptable catering (tasty hot dishes but variety of selection rather limited). Had lunch and some dessert.

Plane arrived at 1320hrs.

MH642 would flying to Miri via Kuching. However most passengers were headed to Kuching, with only a few continuing up to Miri.

View from gatehold room.

11 September 2015
    Malaysia Airlines
    MH 642
    Singapore (SIN) - Kuching (KCH)
    B737-800
    9M-MXT
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 1H11M

Boarding commenced and was orderly despite the full flight.

Greeted by friendly crew members at the door. Passed Business Class cabin.

Economy Class seats.

Last edited by ycp81; 15 September 2015, 11:55 PM.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Seated at 24F. The seats are fitted with all the latest gadgets, but legroom is tight, just slightly better than the budget carriers.

SilkAir B738 beside at E2.

Boarding in progress.

Inflight magazines and more.

Full selection of IFE is available, but no headsets were handed out. Use your own headsets if you want to enjoy the IFE.

Doors closed and we were good to go. Safety video was shown.

Only a short taxi to Rwy20C.

And take off at 1418hrs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV_NqKf2tr0

It was rather hazy as we climbed out.

Above the haze.

Switched to flight map.

Last edited by ycp81; 15 September 2015, 11:55 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Seatbelt signs switched off and service immediately started. No time to waste on this short flight. To start, crew came down the aisle and handed out peanuts from baskets. Surprised that they even did this on such a short and full flight.

Kacang Masin to start.

After peanuts were distributed, special meals were handed out and the meal carts came down the aisle. 3 crew were serving us in economy, and all were very friendly and efficient. 2 choices of meals were offered, along with a selection of drinks. Unfortunately halfway through the meal service, mild-medium turbulence was encountered and hot beverage service was suspended when the seatbelt signs came on.

Meal was served in a box, which also contained a dessert cake.

Roti Canai with fish curry. The fish had the very "fishy" taste which I didn't like.

The other choice was Dry curry chicken with steamed rice and vegetable. This was much better than the fish curry. I had an orange juice to go along.

Dessert was a cling-wrapped Kek Lapis (traditional layered cake), which was rather dry. Meal boxes were cleared and more beverages were offered.

Bouncing through the clouds for most of the flight.

Caught an episode of Glee using my own earphones. Descend started very soon after.

A short break of smooth weather while we were approaching Kuching.

Descending into the haze. Kuching is adversely affected by the haze caused by forest fires in Kalimantan, with air quality in the unhealthy level.

Last edited by ycp81; 15 September 2015, 11:53 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Touchdown on Kuching International Airport Rwy25 and taxied to the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNb4rAI3jE

Disembarking.

9M-MXT in the Kuching haze.

Thoughts: Cabin crew were friendly and efficient and displayed no signs of stress in serving the full load within a short hour. Catering was acceptable though the fish choice was not to my liking. Aircraft was clean and new, more than acceptable for the short hop. Delay was not MH's fault but due to weather conditions. Overall, I am very satisfied with Malaysia Airline's service on such a short flight.

Immigration was swift and with no check-in bags, I was out at the taxi stand 10 minutes after disembarkation. Advantages of flying into small airports.

Stayed at Kuching Hilton, which must be one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, Hilton chain in the world.

The view from the room is supposedly to be great, if not shrouded in haze...

Of course, what is Kuching without all the great food the small city offers!

During the period, the 3rd International Orchid Show was being held at the Kuching Orchid Park, which is across the river banks. The park is definitely worth a visit.

Last edited by ycp81; 15 September 2015, 11:52 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

More orchid showcases at the Orchid Garden by various countries.

2 nights stay and time to return home. The return flight would be an evening departure on Air Asia.

MH ads at the entrance of Kuching airport.

With pre-printed boarding passes and no bags to check-in, it was straight to the verification desk at the entrance to the sterile area, followed by immigration and security.

Departure hall.

FIDS. The flight would be retimed to depart 35min late, again due to the morning haze which disrupted flight landings, causing mounting delays to later schedules.

Nothing but Air Asia, MH and Malindo.

Holding area at Gate 8.

Finally the aircraft arrived from Miri.

My Travel Map

Comment

13 September 2015
            Air Asia
            AK 771
            Kuching (KCH) - Singapore (SIN)
            A320
            9M-AHD
            Economy Class
            Flight Time: 1H05M

9M-AHD is in a special "Tune Insure" livery.

After a very quick turnaround, boarding commenced. As usual, the tight budget seat pitch at 19A.

View out of window.

Boarding in progress. Crew were proactive in assisting with bags and settling passengers down.

Seat pocket stuff.

Taxi to runway.

Departure from Rwy25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJI1zygZnU

Pre-ordered a festive special meal, Nasi Dagang with Chicken curry and dodol, and a satay wrap. Came with cups of water.

Satay wrap is warm and served as a satisfying snack.

Nasi Dagang with chicken curry, and dodol for dessert. Rather tasty dish this is.

Not forgetting the obligatory Pak Nasser's Nasi Lemak, which remained as delicious as before. Meals on AK, though payable, generally tastes better than the catering on MH short-haul flights.

A short flight and we landed back on Singapore soil, on Changi's Rwy20R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9MnMqyRPU

Parked at the gate at Terminal 1.

A short and pleasant flight on Air Asia, with efficient and reliable service.

Thanks for reading this short report. All comments are welcomed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
            X