HSBC Elite: A Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBC Elite: A Try

Okay, I got invited to HSBC Elite Traveller and was already sitting on an award ticket from SIN to BKK to pick up my 6,000 SGD error-fare in Suites to London.

Calling the HSBC Elite line works like a charm, the agent confirms all three services (Mercedes to Changi, Jet Quay departure, and meet&greet in BKK). I am promised SMS and e-mail confirmation around 24 hours into departure.

The e-mail confirmations for Jet Quay and meet&greet are first, followed by the SMS for my limo transfer.

8am and my Mercedes is waiting for me - well mannered and educated driver is opening the back door for me and the computer shows "HSBC" as the requestor for the trip. Chatting with the driver he is guessing that I am a top executive of HSBC (which I am not) and obviously this program is not yet known among the drivers.

Arriving at Jet Quay, the security guard is trying to find my name on his clipboard. A quick glance and I can see at least 15 other people with the remark "HSBC" - seems to become a quite popular service...

The lady at the entrance of the Jet Quay Terminal is confirming that I am on SQ to BKK and I am entering this really huge terminal. I thought the First Class terminal in FRA is big but this is even bigger.

Turns out, this place is a huge let-down. I can live with the fact that the air condition is ways too cold and that they are playing very tacky music ways too loud but those are not the only things that spoil the VIP proposition:

The breakfast buffet is beyond belief: in terms of quality, I think any second-rated Business Class lounge has more on offer than this. Very limited offerings, poor quality and presentation. Care for a juice? From concentrate and orange and apple only. Dishes are also just cheap and tacky - I am don't like this place at all. Pretentious wanna-be, this is no First Class at all.

It gets worse when the lounge agent shows up 40 minutes into the departure and wants me to leave - I had clearly indicated that I do not wish to stop anywhere and wanna get to the plane as late as possible. In the end I can stay another 15 minutes and get my buggy ride to the gate.

Terminal 2 might be the only terminal where it is worth going through Jet Quay - but after this experience I am not sure whether I am going to use them again although it is free of charge.

Arrival in Bangkok and a lady holding up my name is driving me to the fast track immigration in BKK. Not sure how much this service is but as part of the experience very nice and much appreciated. They usually call the hotel driver so that your car is waiting when you are getting out of this airport but this lady didn't have the number for the Sukhothai Hotel...

Bottom line: Mercedes to the airport is the only feature that I will use going forward - might save HSBC some money. Jet Quay failed big times to convince me that their service is worth the money.

Thanks for this detailed report!

I recently got this Elite Travellers Card through HSBC Premier as well. Seems like Limousine Service + Meet&Greet Services are useful. I would probably save the Jet Quay for Y travel only then.

Comment

In that case I would prefer to ask them take me to the terminal straight after check-in.. By the way, what breakfast do they serve?

Comment

I too was very underwhelmed by Jetquay. Aside from the fact it is a CIP terminal, it just feels a little cheap to me.

I found the staff to be a little unprofessional as well ; I was on a conference call and the staff were all around the reception desk in fits of laughter for a long time until I had to ask them on two separate occasions to keep the noise down and didn't even mutter an apology.

Food offerings are truly awful, although the free parking in a bonus I suppose

Comment

I lost my *G a couple of months back so for me the Elite program came at the right time at least to get some kind of lounge access.

I've been through it one time so far and agree the food is an utter waste of effort to walk and get. If you want alcohol, tea or coffee it seems like no problem! Appears to be a fully serviced experience but it does require requests to the 'kitchen' from time to time because they didn't quickly top up empty bottles.

I was underwhelmed by the whole lounge visit. It started from a rather curt greeting at the door (maybe it was my jeans and t-shirt) and didn't really improve from there. There wasn't the level of friendly service I had expected and certainly after receipt of the first drink that was about all I saw of any staff except in taking my passport.

Departure was good, I had a different member of staff lead me upstairs and the chat was civil and jovial. A breeze through the immigration counter and onto the buggy to T1, with a stop at a Currency Exchange en-route (Note to Self: Take a jacket cause the buggy ride is brass monkeys).

I arrived at the gate at a good time with no queue through security and a straight walk onto the plane, but yeah, it did maybe mean leaving the lounge 30-40min before departure but that part i don't remember.

I was thinking the same thing about the limo as you...... the driver thought I was some kind of hi-flyer from HSBC. I didn't have the heard to tell him the truth.

I just filled up a HSBC survey about the whole thing and did leave comments (re: food & service etc.) and I would advise all to do the same to see if we can kick these CIP guys into line. HSBC ran Premier/Platinum lounges I've been too are fully loaded so I do believe that with some notice they might be able to improve the offerings. It certainly will hurt HSBC more than the CIP terminal itself.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post

Bottom line: Mercedes to the airport is the only feature that I will use going forward - might save HSBC some money. Jet Quay failed big times to convince me that their service is worth the money.
            I also did not so impress with JetQuay service. I only like to ride. It was cool and "cold" (literally). I think I will only make use of the Fast Track service for the HSBC Ellite.

Called them this evening to arrange for the Fast Track for my 19-Jul BKK trip. But the line was busy and was picked up by someone and told me some one will call me tomorrow

SMK77 did you get the 5,000 rewards points?
            visit my blog

Comment

My friend just got his HSBC Premier status in Singapore and he is non too happy to continuously use the service despite the fact that they send him a normal taxi and will not pay for the 50% surcharge if the pick up is before 6am!

I met him at Jet Quay and yes, I was shocked at the half picked offerings at the lounge and the arctic blast airconditioning!

Really, is the fact that the JetQuay all that there is to show for? I'd rather just check in at the normal check in counters...

Comment

I got the Elite card and I was asked to pay $12 for a recent trip as my taxi was booked at around 5.15am!
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                  I got the Elite card and I was asked to pay $12 for a recent trip as my taxi was booked at around 5.15am!
                  Midnight charges mah=p

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                    My friend just got his HSBC Premier status in Singapore and he is non too happy to continuously use the service despite the fact that they send him a normal taxi and will not pay for the 50% surcharge if the pick up is before 6am!

I met him at Jet Quay and yes, I was shocked at the half picked offerings at the lounge and the arctic blast airconditioning!

Really, is the fact that the JetQuay all that there is to show for? I'd rather just check in at the normal check in counters...
                    i don't think i will ever use that JetQuay again.. The only thing I like is the bungy (??) ride
                    visit my blog

Comment

Am I right to say that if my flight is departing from T3, the buggy from JetQuay is going to take me on a 10-ish minute ride through the entire U-shaped route (T2, then T1, then T3)?

Comment

Originally posted by eriond View Post
                        Am I right to say that if my flight is departing from T3, the buggy from JetQuay is going to take me on a 10-ish minute ride through the entire U-shaped route (T2, then T1, then T3)?
                        They can actually do it in 5-7 minutes, depends on pax traffic/congestion

Maybe 8 mins if you're at the farthest gate in T3...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          They can actually do it in 5-7 minutes, depends on pax traffic/congestion

Maybe 8 mins if you're at the farthest gate in T3...
                          Kyo has answered it. Yes, it is long way from T2-T1 then T3. I did it before in May...... Very shiok!
                          visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post

Wait..... you're complaining about having to pay $12 instead of the $36 (plus booking fee) it probably would have cost you by doing it yourself? The point is not to complain about the $12 but be grateful for the $24-26 saved.

I've kept booking through JetQuay knowing I don't get to (or need to) eat anything. Last week I drove to JQ and parked the car free for four days though it meant I also had to get picked up and taken back to my car which, from T3 takes much (muuuuuuuch) longer than simply jumping in a taxi but in the end I was glad I did.

My SQ flight from HKG was cancelled after being sat on board with no a/c for two hours. We got transferred to UA but our bags didn't so the JQ people did a good job trying to hunt them down and in the end had them delivered (inc. mine) to the concierge of my colleague's hotel at 3:30am with strict instruction NOT to wake the guest..... and all went well.

Added to that is the fact we landed close to midnight instead of 7pm and if I hadn't taken the car the taxi price would have been scary when adding the two trips for me and my colleague.

I went through departure again last Sunday and all went fine even though the Merc arrived 5-min later than booked.

And...... HSBC still have not charged me the $90 I was advised at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                              Wait..... you're complaining about having to pay $12 instead of the $36 (plus booking fee) it probably would have cost you by doing it yourself? The point is not to complain about the $12 but be grateful for the $24-26 saved.
                              i think his point, there should be "free" limo service at the first place.

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post

And...... HSBC still have not charged me the $90 I was advised at the beginning.
                              yeah they have not charged me also.

anyway, i only use the Fast track service.

Will use next week in CGK. CMB is no more hence last month I can't use
                              visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X