A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
    This report on mainlymiles suggests that the A380 will not return for commercial services in 2020 and some more A380 being moved to storage.

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/06/07/g...class-for-now/
    That's a depressing read!

I am (was) still clinging to the hope of Europe in Sep or Oct in First Class...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bytor View Post
      That's a depressing read!

I am (was) still clinging to the hope of Europe in Sep or Oct in First Class...
      I lost hope that we are allowed of any (close to normal) business travelling until late autumn, not even dreaming about leisure travel this year. I really hope that iam wrong with that prediction.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
        I lost hope that we are allowed of any (close to normal) business travelling until late autumn, not even dreaming about leisure travel this year. I really hope that iam wrong with that prediction.
        I believe we'll see regulated business travel in the next few months, requiring application and with measures in place, and limited to specific "air bridges" between countries. Unfortunately there is concern of a spike of COVID-19 in the northern winter months when flu season hits. What's concerning is the poor or lack of effort on the part of numerous jurisdictions that slow down efforts to curb the virus globally. Leisure travel might then come back in spring/summer 2021. It's going to be a long ride...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          I believe we'll see regulated business travel in the next few months, requiring application and with measures in place, and limited to specific "air bridges" between countries. Unfortunately there is concern of a spike of COVID-19 in the northern winter months when flu season hits. What's concerning is the poor or lack of effort on the part of numerous jurisdictions that slow down efforts to curb the virus globally. Leisure travel might then come back in spring/summer 2021. It's going to be a long ride...
          If the agreement with China is the blue print for further negotiations with other countries i fear that this would rather discourage business travel. There must be something with super high priority and really not doable online to make someone trying to overcome all the hurdles to travel somewhere and accept a 14 days SHN on return. My guess is that even so more "Green Lane Agreements" are being made that only a few of us would be back travelling.

Comment

• AirFrance announced, mid-May, retirement of their A380s.

Reuters now has an article around the very last A380 under assembly;
            https://www.reuters.com/article/airb...-idUSL8N2DV045

It's a pity, I like the aircraft a lot.

Comment

• I think SQ will still be able to make the A380 work, even if not on a scale that they used to.
              an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Meanwhile, Lufthansa is retiring half its A380 fleet. The remaining aircraft are unlikely to fly again until 2022, and will be based in Munich instead of Frankfurt.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ramseyq.../#4e7869855489

Maybe this would help fill SQ's A380 from Singapore to Frankfurt, and New York JFK by extension in due course?

Comment

• Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                  I think SQ will still be able to make the A380 work, even if not on a scale that they used to.
                  Yes, if we look at the routes they use them on, very few are single daily flights- they are mostly high traffic routes with several daily flights. The routes SQ have struggled to fill the A380 on are the likes of CDG. Some of the airlines that have been so quick to remove the aircraft have often been using them on routes that don't have the same demand as SQ has for the likes of SIN-SYD/LHR/MEL

Comment

• Air France has ended A380 operation officially. Rumour mills has it British Airways will do the same soon. Emirates started retiring its A380 as well with A6-EDB. I wonder what will be installed for SQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                      Air France has ended A380 operation officially. Rumour mills has it British Airways will do the same soon. Emirates started retiring its A380 as well with A6-EDB. I wonder what will be installed for SQ.
                      AF had planned to retire the A380s early even before the current crisis, and LH was also going to cut their fleet. It never really worked for them, and they're merely accelerating those plans. The only BA rumours recently is that they might retire all their Boeing 747-400s, heard nothing about their A380s. EK's first A380 retirement is as expected at the end of a 12-year lease (EK's first A380 was delivered in 2008), and more will be retired as their leases end.

As for SQ, I believe the A380 will still serve a purpose but we may see a smaller fleet.

Comment

• Yes do believe SIA will reduce its number of A380s from 19 presently to 14 or 15 by 2021.
                        The remaining older 380s will likely to be used till they are 12 - 13 years old and SIA would probably run a fleet of 12 A380s only.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          Yes do believe SIA will reduce its number of A380s from 19 presently to 14 or 15 by 2021.
                          The remaining older 380s will likely to be used till they are 12 - 13 years old and SIA would probably run a fleet of 12 A380s only.
                          What is this speculation based on?

Comment

• 9V-SKU went on a short air test this morning after almost 3 months on the ground at Changi.

4 more A380s heading to ASP this weekend I heard.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
                              9V-SKU went on a short air test this morning after almost 3 months on the ground at Changi.

4 more A380s heading to ASP this weekend I heard.
                              SQ8898 (9V-SKU) was reflected on the arrival board at T3 and it state that it is from seletar.
                              Last edited by sbs2716g; 23 June 2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                                SQ8898 (9V-SKU) was reflected on the arrival board at T3 and it state that it is from seletar.
                                It definitely didn't do that!

SIA8898

Comment

Working...
                                X