Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what will get you back on board ?

And what will stop you ?.

It seems as though the world is opening up again, slowly but surely, and airlines are now talking about reinstating flights. Will simply restarting flights be enough for you to get on board, or are you wanting assurances about certain things before you will even consider it?. Will you just travel regionally initially or happy to go long haul ?.

Cleanliness of the aircraft (and airport) is obviously vitally important and I trust them to do that properly (but will still take my own wipes with me...) but as someone who is travelling long haul this week has just pointed out, the airport can be more of a concern/danger than the aircraft. elays and 'hassle' at airports are a concern as well. Some of them are bad enough at the best of times but throw this thing in and extra checks and places like MAN, LHR, FRA, CDG etc are bound to a real bundle of fun. I am not concerned about Changi but some of the others....

I would also like full flexibility on any tickets booked to avoid all the hassle everyone has had getting refunds.

It would also be nice if some F and J saver award tickets were released to help encourage people back in the air...….

Unless its really absolutely urgent to travel on more personal or family basis rather than work. It will take another 2 months to see if the coast is really clear for business travel.

Comment

My biggest consideration would be whether the destination has the disease under control. It appears cases outside dorms (which now are separated from the rest of the country) are under control in Singapore. The list of places I would travel to is short: Taiwan, HK, most of China, New Zealand, Vietnam. But it has to wait till they will accept me without a quarantine on arrival.

I'm a little less concerned about the risk of contracting the disease onboard/in the airport as long as my travel starts and terminates in "safe" countries. In as much as I would like to add places like Iceland to my list, I won't transit in any of the European hubs.

Comment

Any long haul would be to LHR or CDG so it will be a question of what awaits me on arrival, and how bad will departing from those airports be? LHR probably OK but CDG will be a nightmare. If there is 14 day quarantine then there is no point anyway. If I can avoid that by getting a health certificate then fine.

Then what happens when I get home?

If it's 14 days SHN here, I can probably live with that.

I am thinking September at the earliest whatever scenario.

Short haul, perhaps Oz July / August.

Comment

Quarantine rules will do it for me. 14 days out and 14 days back not ideal.
          Health certificates - I am not sure they are worth it?

Onboard - normal"ish" service and clean seats, trays, armrests screens etc. I dont want to be flying long haul in rubber gloves!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            It would also be nice if some F and J saver award tickets were released to help encourage people back in the air...….
            I would like to go one step further and that is open all seats for awards, forget about limited availability at this point.

Originally posted by FlyingDobber View Post
            I'm with you, this will be the primary point of getting back in the air.

Comment

I will fly with SQ again as soon as SIN is opened for flight transfers again and when they fly again to FCO.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDobber View Post
                Health certificates - I am not sure they are worth it?

Onboard - normal"ish" service and clean seats, trays, armrests screens etc. I dont want to be flying long haul in rubber gloves!
                Quarantine is the main one, whereby the doubling of ticket pricing will make me think whether those meetings are as important as they used to be when prices were low.

I need to get from SIN to HKG in the coming months (I just missed getting there in March by ~48hrs) and I still have a ticket to Amsterdam that was supposed to be for early June. A combination of work and heading to Scotland to meet/check up on my parents, I will try to use that only for to/from Edinburgh if a) the airline is a bit flexible on routing etc., b) we have this so-called Air Bridge in place to negate quarantines either end and c) there is a plan to sort out differences between direct and transit flights on said Air Bridge.

Other than that, the flight itself doesn't scare me so long as there is a bit of service and the long haul doesn't require a mask 100% of the route - I mean, how are we supposed to eat and drink otherwise on a 10-14hrs flight?

Comment

Well, my government won’t let me out of my country, so until that changes it’s pretty pointless asking for anything else. I have miles I need to use up and can only use them at peak times (Australian school holidays) but would I risk now making a redemption booking not knowing when I can leave my country?

I used to have the option of using miles on SQ’s domestic partner down under but yeah, that’s not an option looking so great right now either...

To anyone thinking of travelling, don’t book anything to Australia. (I don’t think you could find a flight to book anyway!) We have one state premier threatening to keep interstate borders closed for another 4 months and another using insulting language at a third premier and also refusing to open an interstate border. Given we can’t even move around our own country, forget knocking on our front door. Everyone’s confined to their own bedroom right now.

Comment

Not surprising that quarantine rules figure at the top for most if not all. If you are going to be stuck somewhere for two weeks on arrival then why would you bother, unless going home.

Interesting to see many seem to trust the airline(s) to have everything on board OK, SQ in particular as that is what we mainly discuss on here. They are currently asking people for feedback on this, possibly in advance of a questionnaire coming out about it.

I personally don't fancy spending 10, 12 or 14 hours in the air being looked after by people in a Hazmat Suit. You'll feel like you are in an ICU ward. I see QR have just announced their crew will be wearing them, which is a shame as their Q Suites are ideal for the current situation.

Originally posted by scooby5
                    Other than that, the flight itself doesn't scare me so long as there is a bit of service and the long haul doesn't require a mask 100% of the route - I mean, how are we supposed to eat and drink otherwise on a 10-14hrs flight?
                    Yes, agree the service is an issue for long haul flights. You don't want a wrapped sandwich and a bottle of water thrown at you when you board and then the crew disappear until you are on short finals.

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                    Short haul, perhaps Oz July / August.
                    Only a frequent flier would call Singapore to Australia short haul.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      Not surprising that quarantine rules figure at the top for most if not all. If you are going to be stuck somewhere for two weeks on arrival then why would you bother, unless going home.

Interesting to see many seem to trust the airline(s) to have everything on board OK, SQ in particular as that is what we mainly discuss on here. They are currently asking people for feedback on this, possibly in advance of a questionnaire coming out about it.
                      I agree with much of this. Not having to undergo quarantine is a sine qua non for me, and I am relatively confident/sanguine about the cleanliness on board as it will have to be a massive priority for any airline.

I personally don't fancy spending 10, 12 or 14 hours in the air being looked after by people in a Hazmat Suit. You'll feel like you are in an ICU ward. I see QR have just announced their crew will be wearing them, which is a shame as their Q Suites are ideal for the current situation.
                      There's the other side of this as well, which is the requirement to wear masks. I could tolerate it on a short flight, but I would not want to do long haul being forced to wear a mask the whole way. I am not sure I could sleep like that.

Yes, agree the service is an issue for long haul flights. You don't want a wrapped sandwich and a bottle of water thrown at you when you board and then the crew disappear until you are on short finals.
                      This too. For short haul I am willing to tolerate a lower standard of service, but on long haul I want my BTC and a semblance of full service... until and unless that returns, I am not at all keen to return to flying. So realistically it's going to be while before that happens.

My last flight was late January, and by now this has become the longest stretch without flying for me in perhaps a quarter century. I feel old.

Comment

This is an interesting thread.

For me, my main concern are the quarantine rules on the outbound and the inbound. As long as these are in place, very hard to justify why we should still travel unless it's absolutely essential and that criteria is getting very stringent.

The other thing is the price. As long as the fares are matching what it has been recently, probably ok. But if fares are 50% higher and above, will probably reduce frequency and go longer trips each time.

Refundability and flexibility is important too and prefer to book direct with airlines and hotels and not go through OTAs for easier liaison if things change for the worse at the last minute.

On the flight itself, compulsory mask wearing above 2 hours is not attractive. and in any case, prefer business class travel and above for medium and long haul. This in itself already reduces contact.

For 2020, i still have an uncancelled booking to Maldives in late September and a cancelled with a credit voucher QR Suite booking from Europe. The more and more I feel that these might not happen....

For work trip, I don't foresee anymore trips until 2021. And instead of the usual monthly, i think it will only be quarterly.

Overall, it's really a very sad time for SQ. I don't think they will be able to recover all the traffic again. And that means route reduction, aircraft reduction, and saddest of all reduction of staff. They really can't remain at this size for the foreseeable future and as their stocks are showing it in the last few days, they seriously need to do the axe for investors to gain back confidence.

Wishing SQ all the best. Many airlines have fallen casualty. Now only the fittest will survive. And i think customers will be the end loser. No more cheap fares!

Comment

Originally posted by maestro View Post
                          I will fly with SQ again as soon as SIN is opened for flight transfers again and when they fly again to FCO.
                          Your wish is 1/2 fulfilled.
                          https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...jun-2-12753104

Singapore will gradually allow travellers to transit through Changi Airport from Jun 2, announced the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) on Wednesday (May 20).

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            Great! Now for the other half Need to travel for work, FCO is my next stop from SYD. So... just waiting )) As soon as SQ announce an updated schedule with flights there, I will book. And... if they don't, looks like I'll have to fly with QR.

Comment

To me, the overall condition of the city, including availability of safe public transportation and accommodation at the destination is most important.
                              The hassles to travel also plays a big role of whether or not to travel.
                              I am (hopefully) finally traveling back home soon, after 7 cancellations by airlines/governments/personal reasons. A seven day trip turned into ten, 15, 30, then 2 months.
                              If travelling requires me to come a few hours earlier for additional health procedures and some more hours upon arrivals for checks, I would avoid it for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X