Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    phaleesy: I'm not meant to be there anytime soon, actually (I'd cleared my schedule and re-booked into KUL next weekend) - and I know TG flights on 3/5th Sept all the way up to the 24th ex-SIN on the last Fri flight are all booked out. Let me check if I can bring myself to book on SQ instead Sat AM... will get back to you, but no promises just yet. Perhaps if you bribe me somehow...
    Don't worry about it, kyo+. I think I'd need my beauty sleep in BKK, so I'd stay put at the airport.

Any other recommendations for airport hotels in BKK? The Novotel is coming up at 95 pounds that night. SGS is 30 pounds cheaper but I don't think I can be bothered about getting into town and coming back to the airport after a few hours.

I'm now thinking of arriving into BKK past 1 am, so staying at the airport hotel seems like the most sensible choice.

Comment

• And that's exactly what they're counting on - you having no alternatives.

Staying at the airport is going to cost you dearly for not a very amazing hotel experience at all (other than the lobby). Apparently there are a few 'hostel'-style places, but nothing else has opened/compares to the Novotel currently.

I had my first stay there two weekends ago and I only did that because I knew my travel dates and booked during the Accor crazy sale many months back at 50% off (still a whopping $130SGD... and don't bother with their executive floors as they only mean you get a room on level 5, and you get an LCD TV instead of a CRT TV). What a rip-off.

And 500THB for a bowl of 20THB fishball noodles is also daylight robbery. It was as basic as you can get.

Comment

• IMO, it's not the cost of the airport hotel (albeit a bit expensive) which is a problem but missing out on all that Bangkok has to offer!

phaleesy can have her overpriced zero taste fish ball noodles in the Novotel whilst I will look for cheaper better food (particularly if I get the promised pad thai recommendation )!

Comment

• St. Regis Bangkok

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          It says opening 1 December but I can't see that as not only is this Starwood and Thailand (which usually means delays...), but it was in the middle of the red shirt camp so that will have delayed things as well.
          True to form, the SPG website is now posting a "January 1, 2011" opening.
          HUGE AL

Comment

• I bumped into some of the ex-BarSu girls on Friday night. In BarSu, funnily enough. Two of them are going to be working at the new Four Points around the corner from the SGS. I just went and had a look this morning and it's clearly not far off but I will be impressed if it is open before the end of October.

It's on Soi 15 literally around the corner from the Westin.

Comment

• 4P Bangkok has an opening promo, but although THB2500 is good, with the SGS available at THB3200 at the moment it's not going to be of interest yet.

Thailand’s first Four Points by Sheraton hotel has launched a special introductory rate valid between 15 November 2010 and 31 March 2011.

Now available for booking, the “4 Feel Good Reasons to Choose Four Points” offers rooms from Baht 2,500++ and includes:

- Daily breakfast for 2 persons
              - 4 Best Brews (coffee or beer)
              - 4 pm late check-out
              - Double SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) frequent stay points

The Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 15, scheduled to open in November 2010, will feature 249 guest rooms, eight junior suites and 11 executive suites. Each room includes the Four Points by Sheraton Four Comfort bed with feather-down pillows and a cozy duvet. Additionally, high-speed wireless Internet and complimentary bottled water will be provided.

Dining options for guests at Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 15 include The Eatery, an all-day dining restaurant, offering a buffet as well as a menu that includes an array of home-style favorites for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wrapped, a café-deli, serves coffee, daily handmade gourmet sandwiches, panini and desserts. Additionally, BeerVault, the Beer Bar provides guests with local and international hand-crafted brews from Four Points by Sheraton’s Best Brews program, or guests can choose to sip specialty cocktails with panoramic views of Bangkok and the Sukhumvit area from Cielo, the hotel’s rooftop bar.

The hotel also features 400 square meters of event space that can be divided into two rooms, each accommodating up to 160 people, and is fully equipped with the latest in meeting technology.

Other facilities include an outdoor swimming pool and a state-of-the-art fitness center.

The Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 15 is just a five-minute walk from the Asoke sky train station and near the business districts of Silom and Sathorn roads.

Comment

• BarSu just upped the ante:

The after work chill-out just got cooler at BarSu

Kick back after work every weekday at 17.30 – 20.30 hours at BarSu’s new and exciting Happy Hour, drink.eat free. Simply order from the extensive selection of beverages at just Baht 250 per glass and you can savour an array of complimentary temptations including succulent cold cuts, delicious dips such as baba ganoush, bruschetta, olives, cheeses, freshly made sushi, and much more. It’s the perfect way to forget about the office and relax with friends in style.
                Last edited by HUGE AL; 17 September 2010, 01:15 PM.
                HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  4P Bangkok has an opening promo, but although THB2500 is good, with the SGS available at THB3200 at the moment it's not going to be of interest yet.
                  4P has THB1900++ available at the moment so I've replaced my SGS stay at the end of December (currently THB5600++ flexible or THB4000++ prepaid) with the 4P. I registered also for the promotion (stays at a 4P count double towards elite status) but I probably won't need it.

Until I read MAN Flyer's post above again, I didn't realise the 4P is literally round the corner from the Westin! The 4P sounds great for a mattress run - not quite as easy as going from the SGS to the Westin but at this sort of rate, I can manage wheeling my luggage a hundred metres!

Comment

• I might also be tempted to have a mattress run at the 4-Points BKK, with either the SGS or WGS (since both hotels are just within walking distances) in between the 2 stays that I am planning in BKK.

One problem will be to decide I should travel directly to 4-Points despite arriving around midnight BKK time (is it safe to travel on taxi to the city during those times?) or to stay one additional night at the airport hotel (which apparently is not that recommended according to the posts here).

Comment

• Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                      One problem will be to decide I should travel directly to 4-Points despite arriving around midnight BKK time (is it safe to travel on taxi to the city during those times?) or to stay one additional night at the airport hotel (which apparently is not that recommended according to the posts here).
                      You could get an AOT car (more expensive than a taxi) - have a look at the thread here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...2&postcount=69

but others on here will no doubt tell you to take a taxi. It's up to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        You could get an AOT car (more expensive than a taxi) - have a look at the thread here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...2&postcount=69

but others on here will no doubt tell you to take a taxi. It's up to you!
                        Thanks for the tips.

But seriously, is taxi safe to take at those hours?

Comment

• Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                          Thanks for the tips.

But seriously, is taxi safe to take at those hours?
                          well i have taken a taxi at almost every hour of the day and i managed to live. I could tell you it's perfectly safe and then you could get robbed, or I could tell you it's incredibly dangerous and then you have a good run?

I could tell you what I would do: take a taxi!

that's about the best I can offer. Traffic should be pretty ok after midnight too!
                          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Bangkok: Novotel or Holiday Inn?

This is kinda last minute (for me, at least). I'm off to BKK for 4 nights beginning 26 Nov, and I'm deciding between the Novotel and the Holiday Inn (Ploenchit Rd). I was told that both are located in convenient locations.

Which one has nicer rooms and is closer to a SkyTrain station?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Comment

• I do know that the Holiday Inn in Silom is top notch ! Stayed there 5 nights earlier in the year . It was conveniently located with great food around and not too far off from the BTS station .
                              I've stayed at the Novotel too and i think that the Holiday Inn Silom beats it .
                              I am not too sure about the Holiday Inn at Ploenchit Road though .

Comment

• The Holiday inn silom that soarbeyond describes is nice, and very good value -

but personally I like the holiday inn ploenchit (near platinum mall - sorry boys, you'll never understand why) . Right outside the BTS too, not far if you want to get a live view of a protest

Sometimes when you're lucky (happened to me a few times), if they're full, they'll walk you over to the Intercontinental just opposite.

Comment

Working...
                                X