The Final SQ Boeing 747-400 flights - 06 April 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
    I can't imagine LHR and MAN devoid of BA and VS 747s, and probably absent any other passenger 747s. A sad reality that the airports, and others around the world, will be filled with functional, cookie-cutter twins.
    Indeed, even as the 747 became an aging and expensive gas-guzzler, there has always been something special about it for me, standing out from others I see at airports. A350s and 787s may make much better economic sense, but they also feel a bit boring now.

Comment

• Feeling awfully nostalgic today...

Comment

• Incredibly it will be a decade since these fabulous flights in April next year. Even more incredibly, the way things are going that might be about when Singapore actually reopens. To that end a few of us are in the very early stages of planning a 'reunion' to celebrate the event, and try and remember parts of it. It was an interesting few days to say the least, with events in the days leading up to the flights themselves.

So just a heads up to anyone who fancies a meet up/drink/reminisce about the event. Please pencil in the weekend of 9 April. We'll start looking into it in more detail closer to the time. You didn't have to be on the flights to join in!.

Fingers crossed life will be getting back to 'normal' by then and it will actually be possible to have a meet up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Incredibly it will be a decade since these fabulous flights in April next year. Even more incredibly, the way things are going that might be about when Singapore actually reopens. To that end a few of us are in the very early stages of planning a 'reunion' to celebrate the event, and try and remember parts of it. It was an interesting few days to say the least, with events in the days leading up to the flights themselves.

So just a heads up to anyone who fancies a meet up/drink/reminisce about the event. Please pencil in the weekend of 9 April. We'll start looking into it in more detail closer to the time. You didn't have to be on the flights to join in!.

Fingers crossed life will be getting back to 'normal' by then and it will actually be possible to have a meet up.

I wasn't on that flight, but would definitely want to do an in person meet up

Comment

I think, I still owe someone money for the commemorative polo shirt. I’ll go if all interest charges are waived

Comment

• A decade ago...where has that gone!.

Shame about the get together not being possible.

Comment

• 10 years really went by right? It was the shame that the get-together didn't work out. It crossed my mind that it was the only flight where I've shared my meal with strangers haha.

If an 11 year reunion happens I am all for it though - or I will be in Singapore next month if people are based there.

Comment

A decade ago...where has that gone!.

Shame about the get together not being possible.
                  Where indeed... Where indeed...

Comment

• Hard to believe that this final flight happened a decade ago, when it still seems like it was one week ago.

Came across this ad from 1989 about SQ launching the 744. Interestingly, the first services launched on April 9 that year, so the last flight was done just shy of 23 years after the launch:

https://youtu.be/GD13P1Inw6w

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                      Hard to believe that this final flight happened a decade ago, when it still seems like it was one week ago.

Came across this ad from 1989 about SQ launching the 744. Interestingly, the first services launched on April 9 that year, so the last flight was done just shy of 23 years after the launch:

https://youtu.be/GD13P1Inw6w
                      Thanks for sharing, SQGamespeed! Quite nostalgic, "...capable of flying, for the first time, from Singapore to London nonstop..."! I used to love flying in those Megatops! Countless times in Y, but did manage to check out Upper Deck J to SFO, and flew those wonderful Suites in the nose once, SIN to BRU vis ZRH, and then LHR-SIN on the way back...

Comment

Working...
                      X