No announcement yet.

SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=zvezda;21613]Are you kidding? The 747-8I SuperJumbo has been outselling the WhaleJet during the time both have been available to order. /QUOTE]

Err.. do you mean 787? All I see are 5 orders for the 747 family as of June 20, 2007. 787 has 186 orders. Whalejet has 160 confirmed orders.

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm

http://www.airbus.com/en/corporate/o...nd_deliveries/

Maybe I am looking at the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
      Okay, how stupid of me.
      Don't sweat it.

Comment

[QUOTE=solitaire;21641]
        Originally posted by zvezda View Post
        Are you kidding? The 747-8I SuperJumbo has been outselling the WhaleJet during the time both have been available to order. /QUOTE]

Err.. do you mean 787? All I see are 5 orders for the 747 family as of June 20, 2007. 787 has 186 orders. Whalejet has 160 confirmed orders.

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm

http://www.airbus.com/en/corporate/o...nd_deliveries/

Maybe I am looking at the wrong place.
        There have been net 4 WhaleJet orders (24 gross (9 SQ, 8 QF, 4 EK, 3 QR) minus 20 cancellations) since the 747-8 SuperJumbo became available to order. There have been 24 747-8I orders (20 for LH plus 4 for VIPs).

A more fair comparison would be 87 net 747-8 SuperJumbo orders (including 63 freighters) against 4 net WhaleJet orders.

Comment

The 744 will always be unmatched in the premium cabins for one simple reason:

In the nose section (F) and upper deck (J), the galleys are in the back. This means that the pax are subject to far less crew/pax movement and galley noise, and hence the best privacy.

The nose section is just perfect as there is nothing in front. No cockpit, and the toilets and galley are further distanced from the pax by the doors.

We don't know yet the final layout of the A380, but I suspect that this will not be the case.

Compare this perfection with the 777/77W layout. Pax and crew constantly walk up-and-down the cabin, plus galleys and toilets are just adjacent to the pax, separated by just curtains....

Comment

Deleted
            Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Which destinations does the 744 still serve?
              BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

Comment

the 744's are brilliant aircraft for Raffles and F Class travel, I'll always remember my upgrade to the top deck on MEL-SIN, the view into the cockpit, the view from the windows, and the good food that you don't get on the 772 flight! Economy is a different story though, I reckon I'd prefer the 777 for comfort in Y, even if the 744's are guaranteed to have AVOD. But such a beautiful aircraft to see disappear, I'm saddened to see it go as well

Comment

Originally posted by IanDeYoung View Post
                  Which destinations does the 744 still serve?
                  At the top of my head:
                  - LHR
                  - FRA
                  - SYD
                  - MEL
                  - AKL
                  - LAX
                  - SFO
                  - JFK
                  - NRT
                  - HKG

and soon - BKK.

I must have missed a few places...
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

That list seems right to me

Comment

Originally posted by Megatop View Post
                      hmm...747-8I has 87 firm orders.
                      In less than two years.
                      Originally posted by Megatop View Post
                      A380-800 has 163 firm orders.
                      In seven years.

If you're going to compare all seven years, then you should include the 747-400 also, which brings 747 orders above 200 since the WhaleJet has been on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        At the top of my head:
                        - LHR
                        - FRA
                        - SYD
                        - MEL
                        - AKL
                        - LAX
                        - SFO
                        - JFK
                        - NRT
                        - HKG

and soon - BKK.

I must have missed a few places...
                        Great. Thanks alot.

Comment

[merged] SQ 744 withdrawal thread

Hi Folks,

I know the last B744 that SQ withdrew was -SMP in May and it's presently undergoing BCF conversion destined for Dragonair Cargo, but do they have any plans in the near future to withdraw any more Megatops?

They seemed to withdraw a heap in quick succession, but even with the recent 773W's delivered withdrawals appear to of stopped.

-SMS is the the oldest I have listed but any other info muchly appreciated.

rgds

Tom/PER

Comment

doubt it. The A380's have yet to be delivered and the 744's must surely still turn a good profit on the Australian routes, and the younger planes surely would still have a bit of use in them

Comment

believed also that SQ sold off some of its 744s in anticipation of the original planned A380s - which was delayed b some 2 yrs. Hence SQ finds itself shrt of 744s and therefore even have to lease on short-term 2 ex-MAS 744s.

Comment

See this thread http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588

And welcome to SQtalk, Tom/PER

Comment

Working...
                                X