Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ's lost mojo - overdue for a good rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
    So why should we give SG assets to the Aussies?
    I think we need to consider what the objective is. If it is to shield SQ from competition, then of course that's the right thing to do - from the perspective that Temasek is the major shareholder. Or even to use it to barter for 5th freedom for SQ.

However, if QF hubs in SIN, there's potentially going to be an increase in traffic and hence also in transit pax, who in turn boosts the tourism industry and other indirect services. So from the country's perspective, it is my personal view that it is better to have an open hub. In 2011, Australia was 4th on the list of total visitors in Singapore, quite sizable (though when it comes to shopping spend, that seems to be another matter).

Comment

• small things matter

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
      To win a award is very subjective. These airlines know what the "rating" agent is looking for and who are their target (to hand over those survey forms).
      i try to fly sq because i am used to the pleasures of a certain level of comfort and service on board, so minor touches do matter

for example, i often fly on economy for intra-asian meetings and so bring along my jacket - its so pleasant to have it hung up on SQ rather than the blank stares i get on other carriers and often times denial of a courtesy which is apparently only extended to real business class passengers

hence it came as a bit of a shock when i waited for over 5 min to catch the attention of a flight attendant on a recent flight - there were other passengers coming in so I could not reach the nearest steward who had positioned himself several seats away. Eventually a ground staff person came in and assisted

i was annoyed and asked myself if i was just being a PITA but eventually i did complain to the chief steward that his young staff appeared to lack training and that if service standards are allowed to slide then its going to be a slippery slope down to budget airline or american standards

to his credit, the steward said that he would counsel the staff and i got an apology

which is fine because i hope to meet the young man again on another flight and have a normal high quality service experience for which this economy class passenger would be willing to pay more for

Comment

• Originally posted by cplh View Post
        i try to fly sq because i am used to the pleasures of a certain level of comfort and service on board, so minor touches do matter

for example, i often fly on economy for intra-asian meetings and so bring along my jacket - its so pleasant to have it hung up on SQ rather than the blank stares i get on other carriers and often times denial of a courtesy which is apparently only extended to real business class passengers

hence it came as a bit of a shock when i waited for over 5 min to catch the attention of a flight attendant on a recent flight - there were other passengers coming in so I could not reach the nearest steward who had positioned himself several seats away. Eventually a ground staff person came in and assisted

i was annoyed and asked myself if i was just being a PITA but eventually i did complain to the chief steward that his young staff appeared to lack training and that if service standards are allowed to slide then its going to be a slippery slope down to budget airline or american standards

to his credit, the steward said that he would counsel the staff and i got an apology

which is fine because i hope to meet the young man again on another flight and have a normal high quality service experience for which this economy class passenger would be willing to pay more for
        Well, recently SQ's standard has been decreasing alot, like on some flights, you can be ignored and smiles are very rarely seen

Comment

• Quite a damning and brutal commentary of SQ's management.

Comment

• I do believe this has been posted some time ago. Yes, painful. But I do think one has to compare it with the financial performance of other airlines, globally as well as in the Asia-Pacific.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              I do believe this has been posted some time ago.
              A more recent article referencing the older one...

http://mothership.sg/2013/10/bet-20-...ceos-googling/

Comment

• Honestly I am not sure how good the current CEO is.
                What I know is as a PPS member and passenger, many benefits stripped during CCS era is now being restored under his leadership.
                At least it is now moving to the right direction?

Comment

• But you won't know if that's the Board's decision or his...

Comment

• Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    Honestly I am not sure how good the current CEO is.
                    What I know is as a PPS member and passenger, many benefits stripped during CCS era is now being restored under his leadership.
                    At least it is now moving to the right direction?
                    I was very young during the CCS era, I'm not challenging you in any way but I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this point. What has been restored?
                    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      But you won't know if that's the Board's decision or his...
                      Likewise under Chew of course.

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                      I was very young during the CCS era, I'm not challenging you in any way but I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this point. What has been restored?
                      Off the top of my head the first thing they have restored is a feeling of being valued by SQ rather than under Chew when the message seemed to be ; 'we don't care how much you have spent with us before, the planes are all full so we don't need you anyway so show us your money or f*ck off'.

It feels a little different to that now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Off the top of my head the first thing they have restored is a feeling of being valued by SQ rather than under Chew when the message seemed to be ; 'we don't care how much you have spent with us before, the planes are all full so we don't need you anyway so show us your money or f*ck off'.

Fair enough. But is that an actual attitude change, or the hard reality that the planes "are all NOT full"?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                          viraj735, no worries.
                          As MAN Flyer said, it was the general feeling that we were not appreciated as much anymore -- we don't care what you have done for us so far thus just show us the money today type of thing.

The feeling that our business and loyalty are being appreciated is now returning although perhaps nothing will ever be the same.

What I remember of the CCS era was that cost cutting seemed to be the theme of SQ. Now, there are more listening, showing appreciation, etc.

Maybe I have exaggerated a bit by saying 'many', but the most significant benefit being restored is Saver availability in Premium classes. J and F (I and O) made me very happy already. Imagine my surprise when they made the 'holy' Suites available in O class.

LPP - It was axed just like that without any alternative system to reward frequent flying (not just borderline) PPS members. The current PPS Reserve Value scheme is a good attempt to at least do that.
                          They said that LPP is not sustainable. I don't know why not - isn't it just a matter of setting the right amount of PPSV?

If the news about SQ increasing baggage allowance across all classes (as someone has posted on another thread) is true, it will another of my example.

Comment

• While I agree with some of the complaints here ( eg culling of PPS numbers ), I feel the main reason SQ is in the difficulties they are because someone very influential had said that it was more important for Singapore to remain an air hub than for Singapore to protect SQ.

And with that pronouncement, changes began.

Like selling off the highly profitable SATS

And allowing QF is set up a hub in SIN which competes directly with SQ

Countless LCCs operate out off SIN

Interesting to see CX is trying very hard to keep QF out of HKG

Maybe they learnt their lesson from us!

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                              While I agree with some of the complaints here ( eg culling of PPS numbers ), I feel the main reason SQ is in the difficulties they are because someone very influential had said that it was more important for Singapore to remain an air hub than for Singapore to protect SQ.

And with that pronouncement, changes began.
                              You are correct about the policy but way out with the timing.

The policy of 'Changi first' has been the stated aim of him up top for a long time, way before Chew and the Gang decided they didn't really need their PPS pax.

Arrogance is what did for them, all to save themselves something like 10 million SGD a year apparently. During the discussions over this when it was pointed out how much upset the changes would cause, it was thrown back at them that they are so busy they are struggling for capacity even with people paying SQ's prices, so why do they need to worry about the loyalty programme.

It wasn't so much what they did, it was they ridiculously arrogant way it was handled. I know some serious flyers who have hardly set foot on SQ since, some who have never done so. It seems Chew and the Gang never read the saying 'be nice to people on your way up, because you never know........'.

Shortly afterwards, Lehman Brothers collapsed and the GFC followed........and then the other airlines started to catch up.....

Comment

• Originally posted by StarG View Post
                                viraj735, no worries.
                                As MAN Flyer said, it was the general feeling that we were not appreciated as much anymore -- we don't care what you have done for us so far thus just show us the money today type of thing.

The feeling that our business and loyalty are being appreciated is now returning although perhaps nothing will ever be the same.

What I remember of the CCS era was that cost cutting seemed to be the theme of SQ. Now, there are more listening, showing appreciation, etc.

Maybe I have exaggerated a bit by saying 'many', but the most significant benefit being restored is Saver availability in Premium classes. J and F (I and O) made me very happy already. Imagine my surprise when they made the 'holy' Suites available in O class.

LPP - It was axed just like that without any alternative system to reward frequent flying (not just borderline) PPS members. The current PPS Reserve Value scheme is a good attempt to at least do that.
                                They said that LPP is not sustainable. I don't know why not - isn't it just a matter of setting the right amount of PPSV?

If the news about SQ increasing baggage allowance across all classes (as someone has posted on another thread) is true, it will another of my example.
                                Some SQ staff told me Life members get priority over regular solitaires, even though they have less miles travelled. This is quite unfair for those that far exceeded it and how will PPSV help...

Comment

Working...
                                X