Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restricted BTC options for ALL breakfast flights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricted BTC options for ALL breakfast flights?

While logging in to select my BTC option for the morning flight SQ176 (ETD 9.20am) to Hanoi I was horrified to see only seven rather sad options on offer. I've flown this route constantly since 2016 and the full list has always been on offer. I've also noticed that while in the past it was 'Lunch', the meal is now classified as 'breakfast'.

To satisfy my curiosity further, I logged into my booking for SQ178 (ETD 9.45am) to Saigon and sadly the same has also happened. The interesting part is that SQ178 has always been classified as a 'breakfast' flight but previously I could always select from the full list, but now it's just that 7 options.

Furthermore, the black angus beef burger is missing from the list despite it supposedly being available for 'breakfast' flights.

If I'm not wrong, in the past, the restricted list only applied to breakfast flights before 9am (with some flights like PEK being exempted?) but it seems like they have now applied this restriction to breakfast flights that depart later as well.

My SQ910 to MNL remains as 'brunch' and the full list is still available.

In my view, just another cost cutting measure. Anybody else noticed a change in their morning flights?

Yes. I was on SQ1 from SFO, both breakfasts had nothing much to choose from the BTC.

Comment

It seems like they have started restricting the BTC options depending on destination you are traveling to. And not just on the breakfast flights. I fly on SQ982/ 972 regularly and have a couple of choices that I order on rotation. To my horrors on my recent trip a couple of weeks ago, all these choices did not appear in the BTC list anymore.

Upon calling the call centre, I was informed that certain items are not available on certain routes but are available on others. This is true as those same items were available on SQ608 and SQ638 which I also took recently.

Comment

Nasi Briyani
        Nasi Lemak
        Pancake
        and one local chinese dish that i never ordered.

these are my BTC option for my SQ930 flights.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
          While logging in to select my BTC option for the morning flight SQ176 (ETD 9.20am) to Hanoi I was horrified to see only seven rather sad options on offer. I've flown this route constantly since 2016 and the full list has always been on offer. I've also noticed that while in the past it was 'Lunch', the meal is now classified as 'breakfast'.

To satisfy my curiosity further, I logged into my booking for SQ178 (ETD 9.45am) to Saigon and sadly the same has also happened. The interesting part is that SQ178 has always been classified as a 'breakfast' flight but previously I could always select from the full list, but now it's just that 7 options.

Furthermore, the black angus beef burger is missing from the list despite it supposedly being available for 'breakfast' flights.

If I'm not wrong, in the past, the restricted list only applied to breakfast flights before 9am (with some flights like PEK being exempted?) but it seems like they have now applied this restriction to breakfast flights that depart later as well.

My SQ910 to MNL remains as 'brunch' and the full list is still available.

In my view, just another cost cutting measure. Anybody else noticed a change in their morning flights?
          Yes. I am flying CAN. Odd mix of usual breakfast items but no burger and local fare like Bak Chor mee and laksa which are not usual breakfast items are available. But the usual meats and lobster are not available. They are going big on the healthy choices it seems. It keeps appearing first thing on my app. I picked the red rice and fish porridge. Yikes. I just hope they don't start restricting champagne for early flights. LOL
          Last edited by Trent1000; 15 December 2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
            Yes. I am flying CAN. Odd mix of usual breakfast items but no burger and local fare like Bak Chor mee and laksa which are not usual breakfast items are available. But the usual meats and lobster are not available. They are going big on the healthy choices it seems. It keeps appearing first thing on my app. I picked the red rice and fish porridge. Yikes. I just hope they don't start restricting champagne for early flights. LOL
            I tried the red rice and fish porridge recently and it’s not nice. Quite bland and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
              I tried the red rice and fish porridge recently and it’s not nice. Quite bland and boring.
              Healthier choice is all about calories. Would you rather to have 2 pieces of kitkat or 1/2 dozen of soda biscuits?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                Healthier choice is all about calories. Would you rather to have 2 pieces of kitkat or 1/2 dozen of soda biscuits?
                And not forgetting that the tastebuds are dulled at 30,000 ft so the healthy (and appropriate) measure of sodium will definitely be bland.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
                  It seems like they have started restricting the BTC options depending on destination you are traveling to. And not just on the breakfast flights. I fly on SQ982/ 972 regularly and have a couple of choices that I order on rotation. To my horrors on my recent trip a couple of weeks ago, all these choices did not appear in the BTC list anymore.

Upon calling the call centre, I was informed that certain items are not available on certain routes but are available on others. This is true as those same items were available on SQ608 and SQ638 which I also took recently.
                  That's some really disappointing news. And to think that SQ still proudly displays the entire list of options on their website. They need to start putting *** on all of them to denote what's available on which flights to give a more realistic view of what passengers can expect.

Personally I find it quite sad that SQ is cutting so much from regional flights. I know many pax are there by virtue of transiting from a long-haul flight, but some of us based in Singapore really do spend 95% of our time flying regionally! Are we to be less valued or receive poorer service/offerings?

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                    And not forgetting that the tastebuds are dulled at 30,000 ft so the healthy (and appropriate) measure of sodium will definitely be bland.
                    Healthy food does not have to be bland and they do have some nice, tasty wholesome dishes in the BTC menu which taste perfectly fine in 30k ft.

Comment

This has also been documented on The Shutterwhale blog:

Singapore Airlines Limits Book The Cook Breakfast Options in Business Class to Just Seven Items on Regional Flights

Comment

more likely is some cost cuts as it limits the choices and looking at the items available.

Comment

So I wrote in to SQ before this thread was started and after a long long wait, I finally got a reply from them.

Dear Mr PPSFlyer,

We are very sorry to learn that of your disappointment that you were not able to request for the Seared Black Cod Fillet 'à la Niçoise on your Singapore to Bangkok flight.

Our investigations reveal that our Inflight Services Dept had recently revised the dishes that are deemed to be unsuitable for pre-plating in Business Class in conjunction with the shorter flight time. Unfortunately, this is one of the dishes identified.

Nonetheless, we have shared your disappointment with our Food and Beverage Manager for his further review.
                          Trying to sugar coat their cost cutting intentions?

Comment

I also wrote in to SQ when I started this thread and just got the reply as well!

Dear Mr Pokfur

Thank you for your feedback on the range of Book-The-Cook meals available on our website.

Inflight meal is one of our key features on board our flights; therefore, we make a great effort in planning the menu. We assure you that there was no conscious attempt to cutback on budgets and meal offerings. We have taken note of your remarks and shared them with our Inflight Services Manager for her ongoing review and improvements. We will also review what we have planned with what information was published in the website, and take the necessary corrective action. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
                            Agree that it’s just cost-cutting. Also I don’t get why they can pre-plate it for years and suddenly decide that it’s no longer able to be pre-plated.

This, along with other cut backs in the second half of this year has made it a rather bitter ending for 2019.

Comment

Working...
                            X