The SQ 787-10s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SQ 787-10s

Hello there! I thought it was appropriate to create a thread dedicated to the 787-10s that will be introduced in 2018. This is basically a discussion thread, so just post any information or thoughts you have.
    Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

First thing to wonder: will SQ go 3-3-3 or 2-4-2 in Y on their 787s?

Comment

We know they'll have an all-new business class seat from Stelia which some expect will be adopt a staggered configuration, I'll be interested to see if SQ squeezes in a compact first class cabin and drops premium economy for economy. Either way, for economy I'd not be surprised to see 3-3-3.

Comment

Does anyone know how far the first one has come in production?

Comment

Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
          Does anyone know how far the first one has come in production?
          According to the unofficial B787 Blog, the first B787-10 (ZC003, line number: 622) to be delivered to a customer, which is also the first SQ B787-10, should begin its Final Assembly this month. Delivery is expected in May 2018.
          Last edited by SQKevin; 4 September 2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I think what I want to ask is are we sure B787-10s will be delivered to SQ rather than TR?

A350-900 will be replacing A330-300, B777-200 and B777-200ER with 7 ULRs to grow for US Routes.

What's left is 5x B777-300s. So we still left with 25 B787-10 for SQ, which will be net growth.

The question is, do we really see such areas of high demand/growth for SQ that they'll need 25 new planes for?

Or we might see some end up in TR?

Comment

I'd think its more likely for the 787-10s to end up with TZ rather than TR. TR has always run an all-narrowbody fleet. Not sure what it'll be like for them to start adding widebodies. Flight and cabin crew training and all will be a pain, and it makes more sense to add them to TZ, which already operates 787s so won't have to train crews additionally.

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                I'd think its more likely for the 787-10s to end up with TZ rather than TR. TR has always run an all-narrowbody fleet. Not sure what it'll be like for them to start adding widebodies. Flight and cabin crew training and all will be a pain, and it makes more sense to add them to TZ, which already operates 787s so won't have to train crews additionally.
                TR and TZ has merged and the code TZ is no longer in use. That's why I suggested TR.
                Last edited by Metropolitan Airlines; 4 September 2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                  Scoot and Tiger have merged, using the name Scoot and designator TR. So technically, TR does operate widebodies now.

Comment

I also can't really see why SQ would need so many planes right now, but they are working on new cabin products right? So it would kind of be a waste now if SQ doesn't get them in the end.

Comment

I am convinced we won't see any regional configured A350s. The 787's will be used on all the regional work (replacing the 777-200, 777-300 and A330s). I think the A350s will be used for long haul and eventually replace the 777-200ER, 777-300ER plus a few extra for more capacity. The 777X will replace the A380. The delivery schedule of all these new aircraft is over a number years and the figures and dates seem to fit with my predictions.

Although we still may still see long haul A350s on regional routes like we do now.

My bet is that the 787 will have a flat bed J and will deployed to BNE first freeing up an A350.
                      Last edited by FN-GM; 5 September 2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Don't forgot that the second batch of19 x 787-10 as well as the 20 x 777-9 is only letter of intent to purchase not actually a firm order.

Although this article claims it has firmed up
                        https://seekingalpha.com/article/408...order-critical

I am not actually seeing any evidence of it elsewhere, even the boeing website only lists 30 firms orders from Singapore for the 787-10.

This is just a guess but I think they will just stick with the 30 787-10 for regional flights, A350 for medium-long haul largely replacing the 777 fleet and the will have a larger order (30ish) for the 777-9 replacing the A380 and some of the 77W flights that don't suit the A350.

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
                          Scoot and Tiger have merged, using the name Scoot and designator TR. So technically, TR does operate widebodies now.
                          My apologies, i didn't know this. Then yes, its possible that some 787-10s go to TR.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                            I am convinced we won't see any regional configured A350s. The 787's will be used on all the regional work (replacing the 777-200, 777-300 and A330s). I think the A350s will be used for long haul and eventually replace the 777-200ER, 777-300ER plus a few extra for more capacity. The 777X will replace the A380. The delivery schedule of all these new aircraft is over a number years and the figures and dates seem to fit with my predictions.

Although we still may still see long haul A350s on regional routes like we do now.

My bet is that the 787 will have a flat bed J and will deployed to BNE first freeing up an A350.
                            Totally agree with you. I think that perhaps we will never get to see SMA in the fleet at the same time as the last A350 being delivered to SQ, similar to how we never quite had the entire A330 fleet in SQ at the same time, or all 77 777s that SQ ordered back in the 90s...

I also think that similar to the current regional J seats, the new one will be a lower-cost off the shelf option that is flat bed but of higher density than the long-haul J seats. Staggered seating such as QF's seem to be the best compromise between density, direct aisle access and still offering a flat bed. I personally do not like the other type of staggered seating that EK (A380s), TG (A380s and 77Ws) use.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                              I also think that similar to the current regional J seats, the new one will be a lower-cost off the shelf option that is flat bed but of higher density than the long-haul J seats. Staggered seating such as QF's seem to be the best compromise between density, direct aisle access and still offering a flat bed. I personally do not like the other type of staggered seating that EK (A380s), TG (A380s and 77Ws) use.
                              I hope they don't have seats like the BA J. I can't stand flying backward!

Comment

Working...
                              X