Tiger loses left engine cowling during flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger loses left engine cowling during flight

And now we have a Tiger A320 losing its left engine cowling on its way to Chennai on fri 16 Oct. TR 2638 returned to Changi and landed safely after declaring an emergency at 1120pm after departing at 846pm.
    Looks like another maintenance oversight issue as the cowling must not have been securely closed. This comes just shortly after a SIA A330 front gear retracted whilst at the gate.

This recently happened on a Sky Airline A319 as well: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=694_1444975730

Comment

Maintenance issues again. I think SIA Engineering Company really need to ramp up their quality assurance process to make sure their planes are properly fixed before they can go back to service...

Comment

Apparently this is something of a known problem with A320-series aircraft - it happens relatively often with them. The cowlings can appear to be closed even if they are not latched securely into place.

Comment

Article: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/....html?cid=fbsg

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
            Apparently this is something of a known problem with A320-series aircraft - it happens relatively often with them. The cowlings can appear to be closed even if they are not latched securely into place.
            I can confirm this. It was mentioned in the BA incident report.

Comment

yes it does appear that the cowling looks ok but isnt latched on securely. In the BA incident, it was found that the mechanic did not securely locked it in place

Comment

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                I AGREE

I'm very concerned with the ATC after hearing this

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post

I'm very concerned with the ATC after hearing this
                  That was frustrating just to listen to - especially the pilots repeating info two and three times over. Flight crew planning their next move whilst having to juggle spelling out C-O-W-L-I-N-G to ATC and correcting them on which gear was problematic.

One would expect ATC at an exclusively international airport to have sound command of English as well.
                  The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                    Since this is a known problem. There must be a technical alert letter issue on how to double check before hand over for flight departure.

Comment

C O W L I N G
                      B O W L I N G
                      D O W L I N G
                      F O W L I N G
                      H O W L I N G

Aiyo this ATCO ah...

Not only that, very uncertain operation by Departure - a lot of forgetting proper protocol (not calling Go Cat 2638 at the beginning of many messages), getting lost in middle of sentences, etc. Pilots too a bit frantic at some times as well. Oh, and the lack of coordination between engineers, Control and Departure ugh, not to mention repeated confirmation of the gear unsafe warnings... Plus the ATCO really needs to cut down on the Singlish accents. It's no wonder TGW2638 pilots could not hear them properly a lot of times.
                      Last edited by shikhargpt; 21 October 2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

This is how you do it - an entertaining 3 mins.

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                        No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                        I AGREE
                        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Anyone got a mirror for the TGW2638? YT link set to private!

Found a mirror!

https://www.facebook.com/Temasek0Rev...3779109675405/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyG4...ature=youtu.be
                          Last edited by shikhargpt; 27 October 2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X