No announcement yet.

A350 Deliveries and Routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower thought: if 9V-SMU does indeed turn out to have the ULH seating configuration, where would it fly to upon delivery in Feb 2018? Would it debut on SQ31/32 while waiting for more ULH birds to arrive? Or would it commence a non-daily frequency to an as-yet unconfirmed US port?

Correction: I mistook SMU as the ULH bird. Whoops.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQKevin View Post
      9V-SMT has landed at Changi bringing the SQ A359 fleet to 20.

The next SQ A359, 9V-SMU, will be delivered most likely in February 2018.
      Yet no details about the frame have been updated on FR24, surprisingly. Wow, SMU for Feb 2018? We've come a long way of 20 A350's since March 2016. Time flies.

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
      Shower thought: if 9V-SMU does indeed turn out to have the ULH seating configuration, where would it fly to upon delivery in Feb 2018? Would it debut on SQ31/32 while waiting for more ULH birds to arrive? Or would it commence a non-daily frequency to an as-yet unconfirmed US port?
      If SMU was an ULH bird, it would definitely be flying SQ32/31, because like we read last year, they can fly the regular 359 with no problems, but there are weight restrictions (i.e. no duty free shopping on flights) and some payload restrictions. They only announced the 359 to test it out before they receive the ULH version.
      Last edited by SQfanatic; 30 December 2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• OK, again, SMU will not be in ULH configuration.

SQ will want two together in ULH to begin a new destination, most likely resuming EWR. Switching one A350 to another A350 doesn't make for an exciting press release, nor does it increase non-stop US destinations.

Another glaringly obvious concept– many people, including myself, have upcoming Y bookings on SQ31 or SQ32. There still has not been any press release regarding which two classes they intend to fit into their ULH craft. In fact SQ has specifically declared they will not yet reveal them or their respective products. While I'm sure those of us with long-term bookings would love to all be upgraded, their may be a few yield implications of doing that, should J and PEY be the decision, as is widely suspected.

The current SQ32/31 arrangement was a late decision in reaction to UA's announcement of direct SFO-SIN flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          The current SQ32/31 arrangement was a late decision in reaction to UA's announcement of direct SFO-SIN flights.
          Indeed, this was an almost knee-jerk reaction on SIA's part, just to catch up with UA's launch. I had a source tell me that during the inaugural flight (or one of the first flights), SIA actually offloaded cabin crew's bags (including this source's) to reduce the weight so the plane would be able to make the non-stop journey to SFO. The crew received their luggage much later, long after they had arrived at their hotel.

Given that it's been more than a year since SQ32/SQ31 started operating, I truly hope the airline has stopped this arrangement.

Comment

• Those who have been around for a while would remember that during the days when SIA operated the non-stop LAX and EWR flights, there were five aircraft in the fleet (9V-SGA to 9V-SGE). Four planes served the routes at any one time, with one in each direction. The last aircraft was a backup and deployed on daily SIN-CGK-SIN flights. Will we see a similar arrangement this time with the A350-900ULH?

Then again, let's remember that the A340-500 was a special fleet, separate from the B747-400 and B777-200 then. Since the A359ULH is a modified version of the A359, perhaps it's prudent not to expect any wow factor when flying this aircraft on a backup regional flight.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
              Those who have been around for a while would remember that during the days when SIA operated the non-stop LAX and EWR flights, there were five aircraft in the fleet (9V-SGA to 9V-SGE). Four planes served the routes at any one time, with one in each direction. The last aircraft was a backup and deployed on daily SIN-CGK-SIN flights. Will we see a similar arrangement this time with the A350-900ULH?

Then again, let's remember that the A340-500 was a special fleet, separate from the B747-400 and B777-200 then. Since the A359ULH is a modified version of the A359, perhaps it's prudent not to expect any wow factor when flying this aircraft on a backup regional flight.
              I believe SQ will fit the ULHs with a different cabin config (could be all-premium) from the regular longhaul and medium-haul A359s, so the same arrangement could be reborn. But we won't know for sure til they enter the fleet.

Comment

• I think SQ's Y product is more acceptable to customers on ULH routes than 10-15 years ago. I'd expect the ULR configuration to be more premium heavy, but don't think they'll be purely J and PE.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                  I believe SQ will fit the ULHs with a different cabin config (could be all-premium) from the regular longhaul and medium-haul A359s, so the same arrangement could be reborn. But we won't know for sure til they enter the fleet.
                  Oh yes, you're right about that. Thanks for reminding me. A mostly-premium configuration would sit very well with Indonesian travellers on the same Jakarta route.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
                    I think SQ's Y product is more acceptable to customers on ULH routes than 10-15 years ago. I'd expect the ULR configuration to be more premium heavy, but don't think they'll be purely J and PE.
                    I agree with you on that point, although IIRC a couple of people on here have offered the view that there are factors that would prevent that, e.g. passenger density creating physical weight vs yield on premium tickets. I'm guessing that the current SFO flights with permanently blocked Y seats were never intended to make much money, if at all, which isn't sustainable.

Comment

• did remember sometime last year a SIA senior execuive did mention that the new A350 ULR for the non-stop flights to US will be only in 2 classes ie J and PEY; and unlike the previous time when its A340s were in all J layout.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                        did remember sometime last year a SIA senior execuive did mention that the new A350 ULR for the non-stop flights to US will be only in 2 classes ie J and PEY; and unlike the previous time when its A340s were in all J layout.
                        The A345s had a similar 2 class (J/PEY) config before being converted to all-J. I suppose it wasn’t the best decision they’ve made...

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          The A345s had a similar 2 class (J/PEY) config before being converted to all-J. I suppose it wasn’t the best decision they’ve made...
                          The all J was never a good decision. All too quickly killed the route. I remember loads were as low as in the 20s, keeping in mind that the 2006 J seats were of a lesser density than the spacebeds. When they had executive economy, those sections were almost always full. They easily charged about S$2300 for a return, while Y to JFK is now what? S$1418 from SIN?

On another note, I sort of miss the executive economy seats. They seemed nicer and more comfortable than the current PEY (granted the 9" IFE was of a poorer quality).

On yet another note, I recall that they only served two full meals for the NYC flights. Maybe its payload again but that's really insufficient for an 18 hour flight

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                            did remember sometime last year a SIA senior execuive did mention that the new A350 ULR for the non-stop flights to US will be only in 2 classes ie J and PEY; and unlike the previous time when its A340s were in all J layout.
                            Yes, in an interview with ausBT about another launch, when asked about the ULH configuration, the answer was a 2-class layout, but refused to nominate exactly which 2 classes. Obviously the assumption from most of us is J and PEY but SQ specifically refuse to confirm that. J and standard Y seems unlikely. J and F far less likely. But perhaps they have something specific in mind for the Y/PEY product, unique to that fleet, and possibly they don't want assumptions made as to what it is. The announcement must be soon you would hope!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              Yes, in an interview with ausBT about another launch, when asked about the ULH configuration, the answer was a 2-class layout, but refused to nominate exactly which 2 classes. Obviously the assumption from most of us is J and PEY but SQ specifically refuse to confirm that. J and standard Y seems unlikely. J and F far less likely. But perhaps they have something specific in mind for the Y/PEY product, unique to that fleet, and possibly they don't want assumptions made as to what it is. The announcement must be soon you would hope!
                              Will they be using same seats as the A380 or the same ones as the existing A350s?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                                Will they be using same seats as the A380 or the same ones as the existing A350s?
                                I don't think anyone knows the details yet. SQ are good at keeping secrets!

My assumption is one day there will be a major press release with all the information and photos and they'll announce the new route that they first fly on, which I'd expect might be New York, but who knows- could be LAX for competition reasons.

When LAX does get the ULH, then there will be the obvious implications for the existing 2 flights. 2018 promises to be a year of change, although I'll keep my excitement down to 75% of what it used to be because apparently that's enough according to SQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X