Flying UA Domestic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying UA Domestic

Just wondering if others have experience flying UA domestic and can advise.

I'll be flying UA CMH-ORD-SFO in April. I decided to go the safe route and avoid anything branded as "United Express" or "Operated by..." and only book real UA flights, specifically operated by UA.

Their website is a sea of fine print that goes around in circles, so I thought I might check what I think is right after reading it all.

Luggage Allowance: As a *A Gold, I should get an extra piece of luggage on a domestic Y ticket (I'll be making sure it doesn't exceed 20kg though).

Lounge Access: I will not gain access to United Club lounges as my ticket is not part of an international itinerary.

Earning Miles: I assume I should earn miles for a W Economy ticket on UA flights.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered!

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Lounge Access: I will not gain access to United Club lounges as my ticket is not part of an international itinerary.
    IIRC that rule only applies to UA's own elites. You should be able to access the lounges. Someone do correct me if I remember incorrectly.
    Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

I'll be flying UA CMH-ORD-SFO in April. I decided to go the safe route and avoid anything branded as "United Express" or "Operated by..." and only book real UA flights, specifically operated by UA.
      No issue with miles or status on mainline or express flights. Some people believe that mainline pilots are more experience and mainline planes get better maintenance.

Luggage Allowance: As a *A Gold, I should get an extra piece of luggage on a domestic Y ticket (I'll be making sure it doesn't exceed 20kg though).
      Yes, there is 0 allowance for domestic Y that is not part of international itinerary, and you get 1 extra, for a total of 1 piece free.

lcpteck is right. This rule only applies to UA *G and not to the other
      *G members, so as KFEG, you should get access.

Where polaris lounges are available, you would only get access to the clubs and not the polaris lounge (like *G lounge and SKL in SIN).

Earning Miles: I assume I should earn miles for a W Economy ticket on UA flights.
      Yes, you earn 100% miles on W fare on UA for Krisflyer.

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
        No issue with miles or status on mainline or express flights. Some people believe that mainline pilots are more experience and mainline planes get better maintenance.

Yes, there is 0 allowance for domestic Y that is not part of international itinerary, and you get 1 extra, for a total of 1 piece free.

lcpteck is right. This rule only applies to UA *G and not to the other
        *G members, so as KFEG, you should get access.

Where polaris lounges are available, you would only get access to the clubs and not the polaris lounge (like *G lounge and SKL in SIN).

Yes, you earn 100% miles on W fare on UA for Krisflyer.
        Thank you so much Icpteck and fone!

This is the first time I've headed into the US and it's a different world from Aus/NZ and Europe. With the lounge situation, the wording is tricky, but reading it again I see how it does indicate what you both say. I only want to use it for an hour or so while changing at ORD anyway.

Biggest thank you- I actually had not realised that UA domestic has 0 luggage allowance! I will now make sure to buy 1 piece as I will be travelling with two larger-than-cabin size suitcases.

Comment

As many know my absolute love for United, your best bet would be to never fly them. That said:

I decided to go the safe route and avoid anything branded as "United Express" or "Operated by..." and only book real UA flights, specifically operated by UA.
          Most of the time, you will get a larger jet by opting for this route.

Their website is a sea of fine print that goes around in circles, so I thought I might check what I think is right after reading it all.
          We don't call it Dot-Bomb for nothing.

You are fine for one checked bag up to 23kg.

As mentioned above, you WILL have access to the United Clubs…not the rebranded Polaris Lounges.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            As many know my absolute love for United, your best bet would be to never fly them. That said:

Most of the time, you will get a larger jet by opting for this route.

We don't call it Dot-Bomb for nothing.

You are fine for one checked bag up to 23kg.

As mentioned above, you WILL have access to the United Clubs…not the rebranded Polaris Lounges.
            Thanks for the extra info!

Trust me, the only reason I'm flying with them is to get the *A perks. A friend who moved from Melbourne to Ohio left some boxes with me and I'm taking as much of his stuff as I can with me for when I visit him.

Comment

Biggest thank you- I actually had not realised that UA domestic has 0 luggage allowance! I will now make sure to buy 1 piece as I will be travelling with two larger-than-cabin size suitcases.
              Sometimes they enforce the 1 cabin bag as well as size. Also, depending on the aircraft you are taking and/or your boarding order, there might not be space for larger-than-cabin suitcases. If check-in allows you through, then you should be able to gate-check the bags for free.

Think of it this way, the domestic flights are usually regional jets or narrow bodies, with everyone trying to save on the baggage fee, thus bringing big carry-ons. You might be forced to check more bags (for a fee), or even gatecheck them.

Trust me, the only reason I'm flying with them is to get the *A perks. A friend who moved from Melbourne to Ohio left some boxes with me and I'm taking as much of his stuff as I can with me for when I visit him.
              The only perks you get is the 1 free bag, priority baggage and lounge access (upgrade won't really happen with complimentary upgrades to UA elites) and lastly the priority waitlist etc for irrops. I do find the bags to be quite fast for domestic and the lounge is only good for the chairs and power socket (you cannot bring outside food in, so if you are looking to eat during that time, then lounge is not a good option). Also, sometimes the lounges are so far away, you'd not want to waste the trip down. My last time at ORD was just to visit some restaurant for lunch, then walk down to the gate (to find the flight delayed by 30 mins). UA club was like 10 mins walk away, which I choose to wait at the gate instead of going there.

Comment

Hi SQ228! I just flew several US domestic sectors on UA on standalone tickets, and as lcpteck, fone and HUGE AL have said, as KF Gold (Or other Star Gold except UA's own program), I had access to United Clubs, priority security lanes (where available), priority check-in and also Group 2 priority boarding. For luggage I also had one piece of check-in luggage free, although I didn't check any.

On my domestic sectors, I had a laptop backpack and a large rollaboard as hand carry, and did not have any issues bringing them on, although I would recommend boarding early, as almost all my domestic flights were full, and by the end, folks were were having to gate check their bags.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  ...Group 2 priority boarding...although I would recommend boarding early, as almost all my domestic flights were full, and by the end, folks were were having to gate check their bags.
                  A VERY IMPORTANT point I forgot about. By the time Group 2 has finished boarding, 85% of the plane will be filled. Get with the herd early if you want bin space.

When flying international F, you should also make sure to be at the gate EARLY or you will also have no bin space on those 744s!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    A VERY IMPORTANT point I forgot about. By the time Group 2 has finished boarding, 85% of the plane will be filled. Get with the herd early if you want bin space.
                    Ahh yes, I've learnt that from so many comedy shows!

Luckily one of my aims when travelling is to fly with the absolute minimum of cabin luggage as is feasible. Walking about the concourse with nothing but a small backpack is a small pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      Hi SQ228! I just flew several US domestic sectors on UA on standalone tickets, and as lcpteck, fone and HUGE AL have said, as KF Gold (Or other Star Gold except UA's own program), I had access to United Clubs, priority security lanes (where available), priority check-in and also Group 2 priority boarding. For luggage I also had one piece of check-in luggage free, although I didn't check any.

On my domestic sectors, I had a laptop backpack and a large rollaboard as hand carry, and did not have any issues bringing them on, although I would recommend boarding early, as almost all my domestic flights were full, and by the end, folks were were having to gate check their bags.
                      Thank you, my fellow Y flyer!

I now definitely feel confident in booking a generous layover at ORD after so many confirmations of lounge access. I'm setting aside a full day for the travel so I don't get too stressed.

Comment

I now definitely feel confident in booking a generous layover at ORD after so many confirmations of lounge access. I'm setting aside a full day for the travel so I don't get too stressed.
                        My hometown is vying on the award of the Murder Capitol of the USA…or perhaps the globe:

http://heyjackass.com

That said, when in ORD, get over to Tortas Frontera Grill by Rick Bayless and enjoy a Chicago favorite. Still hungry, swing by The Publican.

Before you jump on a plane, grab a Gold Coast Chicago Hot Dog for the flight.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

I think I'm picking up on a theme here from a number of you... United Club lounges might make the food offering in Changi T3 KFG Lounge appear sumptuous by comparison?

I will arrive into ORD at lunchtime so I'll go for a good meal somewhere in T1 then to the lounge to relax. Might try out the the tortas as you suggest HUGE AL

Comment

I think I'm picking up on a theme here from a number of you... United Club lounges might make the food offering in Changi T3 KFG Lounge appear sumptuous by comparison?
                            What food? You mean the Snack Towers of Sadness???

Might try out the the tortas as you suggest HUGE AL
                            You won't regret it. Their guacamole is also very good.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

And be aware that UA domestic flights have a higher than normal chance of being late (or worse cancelled) especially flights at the end of the day. They have mucked up my schedule more than a few times, including not loading my luggage on a connection in IAH to ATL.

Having said that, I've to confess that these observations mine alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X