Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSJ: "SQ one of the best airlines for award seat availability"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...232316730.html

Quote: "Among international airlines, Star Alliance carriers Singapore, Lufthansa and Air Canada scored highest in award-seat availability"

I almost spat out my coffee over my laptop

Apparently they checked "standard" awards for the airline's top 20 routes. This begs the question: who in their right mind would be so stupid as to redeem "standard" awards (and presumably in economy class)?

Hilarious. One really wonders. The WSJ must have some reporters who understand FFPs and the ins and outs of award redemption to write a comprehensive article no? Well entertaining after all, even though the conclusion is laughable in the case of SQ.

Heck for 200% of regular miles I think several airlines are happy to convert remaining revenue seats into award inventory and offer them up for grabs.

Comment

Hilarious results. Wondering if they really queried 'SQ Standard Awards' aka the 200% rip off awards . Also in Eco SQ award space can be quite decent so for the normal redeemer it may be true. Just us 'whiners' who want premium cabins at saver levels are unhappy

Comment

Air Canada is great for rewards as far as points needed to travel...availability is just OK....but definitely you need fewer points to travel the same distance compared to Krisflyer. I love SQ, but have switched to Aeroplan for mileage.

Comment

I don't know what is the fuss really. I've been burning miles like crazy over the past year and there is only this 1 time which I didn't get my upgrade for the forward sector. And that is for SIN - MNL which is almost always full.

Otherwise, I've done 4 pax x J to PVG, TPE, PER, plenty of single or 2 pax to MNL, BKK, some BWN and even CEB. Personally, I think SQ's redemption availability seems to be pretty decent, as long one plans decently in advance. I've even booked 5 x Y for CDG to SIN and even that wasn't a problem.
          Last edited by inix; 8 June 2011, 09:05 PM.
          Life's A Bitch,
          Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

The availability is decent for intra-asia but for places such as sin-aust routes or other places, availability can be iffy and J seats normally are hard to find unless within 3 days. I'm referring to * alliance awards of course.

This explains the fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
              The availability is decent for intra-asia but for places such as sin-aust routes or other places, availability can be iffy and J seats normally are hard to find unless within 3 days. I'm referring to * alliance awards of course.

This explains the fuss.
              No idea if its *Alliance awards. But for KF Awards, never found an issue. I did several SIN - AU routes on J and never had a issue. Some are 1 week ahead, others 3 months ahead. Some are on Saver, and only a few are on Standard (77W). Even got 4J in 1 booking several times.
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

So far, it has been quite easy to redeem savers on Aussie and Kiwi routes. They release up to 4 seats on flights like SQ 237. And most of the routes are already using lie-flat J seats. So no complaints.

What i would complain about is the lack of F saver seats. Excepting Jakarta flights, only one seat is released on the last 747 route and that's all. And they seem to have blocked all other 773 routes in anticipation of new retrofitted first class.

Comment

Working...
                X