What's Myanmar like to live in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Myanmar like to live in

Well after three and half years in exile in the Middle East I have accepted a new job in Myanmar. I probably should have asked these questions before I accepted the position as I know nothing about Myanmar but too late now.

So does anyone have experience of living in or visiting Myanmar (I will be based in Yagon). In particular any do's or don'ts that I should be aware of, places to go to, where to eat, where to live.

Any information gratefully received.

Hopefully now being back in the region I might be able to make it to the occasional Do.

Myanmar is actually quite a nice place, I go there once or twice a year. We can have a DO there?

Mobiles phone lines are very expensive (Few hundred USD for a SIM card), no roaming there.
    International phone services(IDD) are very poor and very expensive.
    Internet coverage is poor (I always tell people that the internet connection will drop whenever a flock of birds fly over the satellite dish)
    I usually stay in Kandawgyi Palace in Yangon so not sure about housing for long term.
    Going out for a meal usually involves taking a stack of money. Largest note is a 1000 kyat which is about 10 dollars.

Don'ts :
    No talk about democracy there unless you know every individual in the vicinity. (Supposedly there are people who will report you to the government that you are pro democracy)

Comment

Congrats on the new assignment, Lobster.

Although never been to Myanmar, I have heard it is a very nice place and believe you will enjoy your time there.
      Last edited by N_Architect; 5 February 2010, 09:17 PM. Reason: made the word 'Lobster' in bold font

Comment

Congratulations are in order

Comment

Welcome to the region! It'll be... different, no doubt!

Comment

Congratulations, Lobster!

When you're settled down, perhaps some investigation is in order whether any local TAs have any nice fares ex-RGN!

Comment

Physically a beautiful country.......for 95% of the population it is a different story!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                Don'ts :
                No talk about democracy there unless you know every individual in the vicinity. (Supposedly there are people who will report you to the government that you are pro democracy)
                A German friend was talking to her friend over her hotel's phone, and then a voice chimed in, 'Please speak in English'. At least the government spies are polite.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  A German friend was talking to her friend over her hotel's phone, and then a voice chimed in, 'Please speak in English'. At least the government spies are polite.
                  No kidding! Now I know why I will continue to call it Burma.....

Comment

What happens if you comply but with a wicked accent?

'BBC English please?'

Comment

I never tried or heard that before. Maybe I should call home and speak in Mandarin or some chinese dialect.

But its the same for all emails in and out of Myanmar, someone actually reads the email before it is allowed thru. I wonder if they have a huge compound where everyone is just reading emails every day.

Comment

I never tried or heard that before. Maybe I should call home and speak in Mandarin or some chinese dialect.

But its the same for all emails in and out of Myanmar, someone actually reads the email before it is allowed thru. I wonder if they have a huge compound where everyone is just reading emails every day.
                        I wonder what would happen if you "accidently" encrypted the mail
                        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

When do you start in Burma (it' still called that here... ), I need to get out there on a business trip myself but keep putting it off. Not sure about a RGN do, but BKK aint far away.

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                            I wonder what would happen if you "accidently" encrypted the mail
                            It just never reaches the destination. I know of many emails that go "missing".

Comment

Don'ts :
                              Too much democracy and we might not get any work done!

Comment

Working...
                              X