Hawker Centre Food Poisoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawker Centre Food Poisoning

Can't believe 2 people have died as a result of this.

SINGAPORE: In Singapore, more than 110 people came down with severe food poisoning over the weekend after eating the local salad dish “Indian rojak” from a popular hawker stall in Geylang Serai.

The incident has claimed at least two lives so far, including that of a two-month-old foetus after its mother fell ill and miscarried.

The other victim, 57-year-old canteen worker Aminah Samijo, was put on life support last Friday and died on Monday morning.

Police have classified the case as one of unnatural death and are investigating.

After Madam Aminah was admitted to Changi General Hospital, she was given antibiotics and other medication. But still the infection spread to her kidneys and she suffered from acute renal failure.

Doctors said dialysis was out of the question because she was already suffering from low blood pressure.

Madam Aminah's husband is still warded for food poisoning. Relatives who declined to appear on camera said he will be given hospital leave to attend his wife's funeral on Tuesday.

The highly popular stall in Geylang Serai is under investigation.

One man said: "There was only a slight smell, so I thought it was nothing and I just ate (it). But it affected my mom, niece and auntie."

Said one patient in the hospital: "My wife noticed that the gravy tasted quite funny. After she told me, I found it to be salty and I stopped eating it."

The hospital is still testing blood and stool samples. While the cause has yet to be confirmed, the hospital said it could have been due to the food being left out too long.

Associate Professor Helen Oh, senior consultant, Infectious Diseases, Changi General Hospital, said: "If you look at the way rojak is prepared, it is kept at room temperature for prolonged periods and then just deep fried or fried very quickly just prior to being served to the person.

"If they took a large quantity of that contaminated food, that means... the load of the bacteria is higher. So the symptoms will be much more severe."

Out of the 77 patients who have sought treatment at Changi General, 16 are still hospitalised. Another 11 are warded at other hospitals.

A 59-year-old woman is critically ill. 24 others received outpatient treatment at various other hospital emergency departments.

The Health Ministry said all these cases started experiencing symptoms between last Thursday and Saturday. - CNA/vm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...420416/1/.html

That's some SERIOUS poisoning!
    HUGE AL

Comment

that's not good!

my guess is Listeria monocytogenes

Comment

For those not in Singapore, there was a food poisoning case at a hawker centre here last week has sent shocked wave around the country. It has left two dead, a pregnant woman miscarried and about a hundred others sick.

It is easily the worst food poisoning case here. Hygience standards in Singapore are usually good with strict regulations from the National Environmetn Agency so all the more this incident came as a shock.

Investigations on the cause of the poisoning are on-going but in the mean time the hawker centre where this incident happened has under-taken a preemptive major clean-up now.

impresta: according to the papers today, all victims have tested positive for vibrio parahaemolyticus
        Last edited by concept|infinit; 9 April 2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria identified in 2 cases of rojak food poisoning

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...420838/1/.html

Preliminary lab results show two of the Geylang Serai food poisoning cases have tested positive for the bacteria Vibrio parahaemolyticus.

Vibrio parahaemolyticus - which comes from the same family as the bacteria which causes cholera - causes watery diarrhoea and abdominal cramps in nearly all cases, usually with nausea, vomiting, fever and headache.

Comment

Condolences to the deceased...And hope that the remainder of the affected will recover soon...

Makes me think twice about eating outside nowadays, but most of us don't really have a choice I guess...

Comment

What a pitiful death I heard about the news only today. Such a shame for so many to have to go through this, and also this being one of my favorite hawker centres in the country.

The ST also reported that over 61(!) rats have been found running around the air and also some serious deep cleaning is being done.
              Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
                The ST also reported that over 61(!) rats have been found running around the air
                I didnt know rats can go airborne , but anyway, I have seen rats bigger than cats in a coffeeshop in AMK central, so they are not that uncommon actually.
                Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by Kac View Post
                  Makes me think twice about eating outside nowadays, but most of us don't really have a choice I guess...
                  lazy to cook ?

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
                    lazy to cook ?
                    Most of the time, we have to eat outside food for lunch (unless workplace very near home)....Sometimes, too tired to cook for dinner...

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
                      I didnt know rats can go airborne , but anyway, I have seen rats bigger than cats in a coffeeshop in AMK central, so they are not that uncommon actually.
                      are you serious? I sometimes eat and food courts but I've never encountered rats anywhere in this country!

Comment

Very serious indeed! Sometimes it is more a matter of being observant...I myself did not notice their existence for the longest time until the past few years or so.

Comment

Very serious indeed! Sometimes it is more a matter of being observant...I myself did not notice their existence for the longest time until the past few years or so.
                          Gosh. Well now this incident has sent a shockwave around the country and NEA has prompted a major clean-up of the Geylang hawker centre so I'm sure the rest will get a major clean up too.

Comment

I personally consider it a slight over-reaction. Our hawkers has been in this state for donkey years, and in fact, they have never been cleaner. All it takes is one serious case and the witch-hunt begins. Then again, NEA has no choice, cause the people are watching and expecting serious action taken.

Comment

I personally consider it a slight over-reaction. Our hawkers has been in this state for donkey years, and in fact, they have never been cleaner. All it takes is one serious case and the witch-hunt begins. Then again, NEA has no choice, cause the people are watching and expecting serious action taken.
                              I did some research. Food courts like those in malls rarely have such rodent problems. It is the old school hawker centres (those with adjoining wet markets) because of the sewer lines below.

Not all of those do either, its usually the temporary ones like this Geylang one and Ang Mo Kio hawker centres- presumably not much was invested in draining systems for them since they are temporary.

I dont see it is as an overreaction. Hundreds falling sick and 3 deaths from one incident should be a lesson that hygiene standards is something you can never compromise on.

I say NEA should invest heavily to ensure hawker centres around abide by the strictesy hygiene standards and the rodent problem must be gotten rid off completely even if means extensive renovation of drainage lines.

The squeeky clean-Singapore image is something I'd prefer to this.

For now I'm boycotting all hawker centres. Little difference though, I rarely ever ate at them before lol

Comment

Working...
                              X