Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    Fabulous info kapitan
    Just to add:
    Kopi Swa: 2 cups of coffee
    Kopi Gao: stronger coffee

All applicable to 'teh', Milo and Horlicks as well
    I was part time kopi kia before.....

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

HUGE AL, similar SR level hotels that are nearer to Maxwell would be MO, Fullerton, RC at the Marina Bay area. These are about 1/2 the distance.
      Thanks, 9V-JKL! Spoke with taipeiflyer earlier. He HIGHLY recommended the SR despite the strange decor and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere.
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        Thanks, 9V-JKL! Spoke with taipeiflyer earlier. He HIGHLY recommended the SR despite the strange decor and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere.
        Presuming the SR is the St Regis, where do you get the idea it's in the middle of nowhere from ?. It's around the corner from Orchard Road!!.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          Kopi - would mean coffee with evaporated milk
          Kopi peng - ice coffee with evaporated milk, add the words "siew tai" after means less sugar
          Kopi Si - coffee with condensed milk
          Actually...

Kopi - Coffee with condensed milk
          Kopi C - Coffee with evaporated milk and sugar

If you want tea, it's Teh.

Or Yin Yang for a concoction of 50% Kopi & 50% Teh.

At some places, you can order Nescafe coffee as well. Just tell the guy you want a cup of Nescafe

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Presuming the SR is the St Regis, where do you get the idea it's in the middle of nowhere from ?. It's around the corner from Orchard Road!!.
            Hey, that was via taipeiflyer, not me.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Is this on the same level as the St. Regis? How far is the SR from Maxwell? How far is the Hyatt to there?
              Definitely SR for you And besides Singapore is so small that it will not take you more than 15 minutes(unless there is a traffic jam) to get to either the hawker centres that you are looking at.

If I remember correctly, most of the stalls in Maxwell operate in the day(mainly lunchtime business) and it can get really hot and stuffy there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                Actually...

Interesting! Thanks.. that I didn't know

Comment

- Chomp Chomp
                  - Changi Village
                  I second Chomp Chomp and Serangoon Gardens Food Market.
                  Maxwell is good too.
                  Other hawker centres and food centres in Chinatown are good too.
                  Tiong Bahru is good too.

Newton is quite ex and caters mainly to the tourists.

Katong has a lot of good eateries. Adam Road hawker centre has good Nasi Lemak.

Well, it would be easier if the OP has an idea on what he wants to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by LampStack View Post
                    As a side note, I just watched a youtube video comparing the "famous" versus "ordinary" for three popular Singapore food dishes. (Xiaxue's guide to hawker food.)
                    I would rather trust a food guide written by an eskimo.

Do take any 'review' by this infamous bimbo with a very large grain of salt.

You can search for Xiaxue's iPhone Review to see what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      I would rather trust a food guide written by an eskimo.

Do take any 'review' by this infamous bimbo with a very large grain of salt.

You can search for Xiaxue's iPhone Review to see what I mean...
                      Yes I agree.

I pretty much figured that she was not any sort of culinary expert at all, but it was a little bit entertaining anyway.

At least now I know what Hokkien Mee is.

Comment

Yin Yang is actually much more common in HK than in Singapore. But the funny thing is if you say "yin yang" at a soya bean drink stall, they serve you soya bean (which is white) mixed with chinchao (grass jelly, which is black)!
                        At some places, you can order Nescafe coffee as well. Just tell the guy you want a cup of Nescafe
                        This tends to be more common in stalls run by Malays or Indians.

And to add on, Milo is often called "Tak kiu", which is "kick ball" in hokkien!

It is also possible to specify if you wish to have the drink thicker or thinner, which are "kao" and "poh" respectively. The word is usually added as the suffix, so it goes like:

- Kopi-O Poh
                        - Milo Peng Kao

Etc!
                        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

To me, the best chicken rice in SIN is the Boon Tong Kee. They have outlets in Balestier and River Valley. I wouldn't miss it everytime I visit SIN, just like the past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by LampStack View Post
                            BTW, taxi prices seem to be a bit more in Singapore than I am used to in Hong Kong. Is this the case, or am I missing something here?
                            Taxi fares have increased quite considerably in the past 1 year. In my last visit just last weekend, the starting fare is S$3 (used to be $2.30), then add on the holiday surcharge (S$1) since I arrived on a public holiday (1 Jan), and the usual S$3 airport-surcharge.

The fares to my place in Newton was S$19.60, much much more exp than the usual $14-15 I used to pay a year ago.

And if you are trapped in the city area with lots of ERP gantries, good luck to u....your ERP fees will cost you more than the taxi ride itself. I experienced this during my trip from Newton to the Esplanade in July 2008.

It's still cheaper than taxi rides here in HKG, although they just increased fares here just before the Christmas holiday. You will pay more for short distance and less for long distance ride.

Comment

Food Republic @ Vivo City.
                              Yup....not a bad place....visited this place again last Saturday. One of the stall is the famous Hokkien Mee and Char Kuay Teow stall.

Comment

The Zi Char at Commonwealth is sexual.

Maxwell and Tiong Bahru are good too.

Newton as mentioned is a tourist trap and don't care for LPS. East Coast Laguna is overrated since the renovation. Pre-renovation was great.

Jago Close in East Coast and its opposite stalls (like Mei Yuen) used to be pretty good.

Not hawker centres but the Teochew Muay at Henderson is tops.

There's more variety and taste in a S'pore food court than in all of Middle East cuisine.

Comment

Working...
                                X