No announcement yet.

New Budget Terminal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not build it next to the 3rd runway?

Comment

Looking at that picture, it seems they have more than enough space for a mega BT.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

If that runway is to be used for commercial airliners, then where is the Airshow is going to be held? Another disadvantage, the 3rd runway and the 2 main runways/terminals and even the Control tower is far apart. Even so, they will need to clear a long stretch of park connector joining Changi Beach and East Coast. I'm sure by then, you will see tons of many unhappy cyclist.

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
          If that runway is to be used for commercial airliners, then where is the Airshow is going to be held? Another disadvantage, the 3rd runway and the 2 main runways/terminals and even the Control tower is far apart. Even so, they will need to clear a long stretch of park connector joining Changi Beach and East Coast. I'm sure by then, you will see tons of many unhappy cyclist.
          I'm sure Changi is more interested in expansion and maintaining its hub status rather than worrying about Air Shows and angry bikers.

And they'll need to expand the runway if and when they open it up for commercial use.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
            Wherever the aircraft are parked it's just a matter of coordination to tow them in on time.
            It's easier said than done. Ground control gives last priority to aircraft on tow and you've to wait quite a long time( up to an hour) just to get clearance to tow. And adding in the actual process of towing and " hold shorts" will drag it to an hour to two. If TR was allowed to park its aircraft at bays 103 and 104, there will be no traffic to obstruct it and towing could be done in a matter of minutes. A few early morning TR flights have been delayed due to towing.

LOL. True. But she's not there @9 this AM. That lot's empty. Do you know where she's gone?
            It's parked at Changi West airbase with KC 135s and F50s. It's parked close to SAESL facility. Thought it must be some clandestine USAF aircraft when I saw an all white B747 there. Till I saw its logo this evening

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
              in the past, i don't always agree with your views but this is something i fully endorse. I previously posted the Budget terminal was never part of the master plan. And till now, i see no evidence to discredit that view.

The master plan allowed for a full service terminal to be built and fully operational every 10 to 12 years.
              No one could have foreseen the rise and proliferation of low cost travel way back in the 70s when the airport master plan was drawn up. It has taken every one by surprise. Even now ! The budget terminal was built as more of an afterthought and is currently bursting at its seams.

Comment

the 3rd runway designated as 02R /20L is used by the navy and air force exclusively. But in any case CAAS must look into building a new and much better Budget terminal asap and get it ready within the next 3 years or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  IIRC, there's a plot of land next to the BT which used to be a sand dump during the T3 construction period. It has since been reinstated to a grass patch. Wonder why this plot has yet to be converted to tarmac, will probably address the lack of stands around the BT.
                  The area was cleared a few months ago and I saw a piling machine there this morning. Right adjacent to BT.

Confirmed. Wonder how i missed this piece of news.

http://www.greatnewplaces.com/c564-B...minalExpansion
                  Last edited by boing; 1 October 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Estimated to cost $25 million, the impending works include:

-Constructing two new boarding gates for departing passengers - adding to the current 10;
                    -Building two more aircraft parking bays;

They would need more than just 2 additional bays!
                    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

With this news, it is almost certain that SQ LCC would not start operating from BT.
                      Last edited by sealalula; 1 October 2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

$25 million just to build 2 boarding gate and 2 new aircraft parking bays? Remember then the whole cost of building the budget terminal was like S$40 million only. And just adding 2 parking bays is definitely not enough - it would be better and saving this $25 million and to build a new better Budget terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

That's were T4 is supposed to be going. They now need to also think about what to do about the LCC growth.

Even though I am sure they could sort something out for ther air show, I don't think a one week event every two years and cyclists would be enough to prevent required growth at Changi in order to keep it as one of the worlds main/best hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                            $25 million just to build 2 boarding gate and 2 new aircraft parking bays? Remember then the whole cost of building the budget terminal was like S$40 million only. And just adding 2 parking bays is definitely not enough - it would be better and saving this $25 million and to build a new better Budget terminal.
                            Besides the 2 gates and aircraft bays, the $25 million also goes toward (quoting from the link):
                            - Extending the 400m-long corridor from the tarmac to the arrival hall to serve the new gates;
                            - Adding a fourth baggage claim belt;
                            - Fitting new tiles for the toilets as well as the linkway from the departure to arrival block.

If Changi doesn't give a hoot about unhappy spotters when they put up the double glassed viewing malls at T2 and T3, they're not going to bat an eyelid for a couple of cyclists - especially when they don't contribute to Changi's revenue in any way.

Furthermore, before 20L/02R was put up, the Asian Aerospace was held on the grounds of Changi itself and aircraft used Changi's runways. No problem there.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                              Furthermore, before 20L/02R was put up, the Asian Aerospace was held on the grounds of Changi itself and aircraft used Changi's runways. No problem there.
                              You mean Changi Airport itself?

Comment

You mean Changi Airport itself?
                                Asian aerospace, as it was called then, was held at changi airport's ground till 2006.

Comment

Working...
                                X