New Budget Terminal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Budget Terminal?

According to sources, Changi is looking into closing the current Budget Terminal and moving all the current flights operating there to the main terminals. I guess they want to build a new and bigger budget terminal to rival KLIA2?
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
    According to sources, Changi is looking into closing the current Budget Terminal and moving all the current flights operating there to the main terminals. I guess they want to build a new and bigger budget terminal to rival KLIA2?
    I wouldn't be surprised. I thought I was in boleh land the last time I stepped into the BT.

Comment

If that's the case, I think we can expect AirAsia and JetStar to move to the new BT..

If TR moves to a Main Terminal, i sincerely hope it's not T1

Comment

guess the need to have a better n larger Budget terminal and hopefully with covered walkways - and also the current budget terminal tarmac cannot accomodate the bigger aircraft than the current A320s, as few LCCs have bean to use larger planes like the A330s and even the upcoming SQ's "Scoot" using ex-SQ 772s.

Comment

They better build fast! Looks like SIN is almost packed to the max already, especially during peak hours...

Comment

They have to do something as the BT is all but full, and TR have a number of additional aircraft due. Having aircraft towed in is already beginning to cause frustration now, so that will only get worse.

I believe moving TR to T2/T3 was suggested/offered but wasn't favoured as that means a hike in charges. This issue may also speed up the proposed T4.

Comment

I thought they were expanding BT with the empty land to the east ?
              Last edited by boing; 17 September 2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

This can only be a good thing. BT is a hopeless Terminal that truly epitomes its name. Budget!
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                  This is a welcome move. We simply has too many terminal for a small island.

Comment

Initially without the Budget Terminal, CAAS should then have extended T1 and perhaps have say 2 piers for budget n "niche" airlines; and it seems odd that when designing n buidling T3 which has actually fewer aerobridges for planes than T2.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                      I thought they were expanding BT with the empty land to east ?
                      That was the intention and at the moment apparently still is. However, SQ are not the only organisation based in Singapore that has been surprised and caught out by the rapid expansion of LCC's so a rethink is currently underway.

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post

What has the number of terminals go to do with it ?. Would it be better if they just had one terminal with a capacity of 180 million ?. And what on earth has the size of Singapore got to do with how many terminals there are at Changi ?!.

This sounds like it may come as a bit of a shock to you, but Changi is not there just to fly Singaporeans around. It is what is know as a 'hub' for people to 'connect from one flight to another'.

Google it, it should help you understand how airports work. Although coming from someone who thinks Suvarnabhumi is a good airport I am not sure it will.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Although coming from someone who thinks Suvarnabhumi is a good airport I am not sure it will.
                        Hey, it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Hey, it is!
                          I suppose it is, if you like badly designed poorly thought out airports built on swamps.

Comment

I suppose it is, if you like badly designed poorly thought out airports built on swamps.
                            Me thinks good airports are comparative in nature. I would think BKK is a good Airport by many means, especially after going through the nonsense that is CDG
                            Life's A Bitch,
                            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

They have to do something as the BT is all but full, and TR have a number of additional aircraft due. Having aircraft towed in is already beginning to cause frustration now, so that will only get worse.

I believe moving TR to T2/T3 was suggested/offered but wasn't favoured as that means a hike in charges. This issue may also speed up the proposed T4.
                              I did mention months ago that the rate the LCCs and other airlines are rising would push the need to open T4 earlier. There is increased cost to TR due to having aircraft in and out, not to mention unnecessary delays.
                              This is something Changi and Singapore should be proud of. For a country so small to have a such a big airport, a world class and multiple award winning one at that.

Initially without the Budget Terminal, CAAS should then have extended T1 and perhaps have say 2 piers for budget n "niche" airlines; and it seems odd that when designing n building T3 which has actually fewer aerobridges for planes than T2.
                              Personally, I find there is currently no room for T1 to be expanded. It has high speed taxiways and remote bays to the east and west of it. North cross and cargo complex to the north. There's very little space left. This goes to the airport as a whole. The only room left is the vast, barren reclaimed land to the east.

I was told that the reason why T3 has less aerobridge bays compared to T2 or even T1 is because it was built with wide body aircrafts, namely A380 in mind. Every bay in T3 is able to accommodate at least a 777. Compared to T2 and T1, which have some bays that can only accommodate narrow bodys saving on space. And speaking of aerobridges, the old ones in T2 are starting to get replaced, starting with F50.

Comment

Working...
                              X