X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still not letting it go, are ya, jjpb3?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      Actually, in the "oriental selection" for the specific Y menu I was reading, the appetizer and light bites both had the word "Chinese" in the description. The main course was "stir fried chicken in oyster mushrooms ...", along with a footnote about being exclusively created by Yeung Koon Yat of Hong Kong. So potential confusion between Western and non-Western courses would seem like a non-issue.

But my question was also about the use of the word "Oriental". When shi quan shi mei was introduced in F, it was billed as: Shi Quan Shi Mei – “A complete and perfect Chinese culinary experience”. That's a lot more precise adjective rather than the vague, old-fashioned "Oriental". Given the focus on modernizing the brand (Raffles --> Business), I'm surprised by the use of "Oriental".

Totally AGREE that the term ORIENTAL is vague and old-fashioned. Derogatory??....I *** think so anymore At least it doesn't bother the people living in ASIA.

Comment

Originally posted by mechinois View Post
        Totally AGREE that the term ORIENTAL is vague and old-fashioned. Derogatory??....I *** think so anymore At least it doesn't bother the people living in ASIA.
        Did I miss something in my previous posts? I don't think I used the word "derogatory" (or a word with a similar connotation), did I?
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Did I miss something in my previous posts? I don't think I used the word "derogatory" (or a word with a similar connotation), did I?

Sorry, I *** mean to say that you used the word derogatory or having said anything that associated Oriental with it.

However, I just wanted to be sure if there's an issue with ORIENTAL and looked up the dictionary.

Fully functional word especially in the use of cuisine.

Here's an excerpt :

Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental—meaning "eastern"—is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

Comment

Thanks for the research and the clarification.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
            X