Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business class in a Singapore Airlines plane that flys from Singapore to New York?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business class in a Singapore Airlines plane that flys from Singapore to New York?

Not flown the previous non-stop SIN-EWR route before, but I don't remember seeing pictures of it looking like this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43453264
    Last edited by reddevil0728; 24 March 2018, 11:20 AM.

This was indeed the Spacebed on the Airbus A345 deployed on SQ20 (later renamed SQ38) and SQ22. I recognise the control panel and the awkward recline. To be honest, this bed wasn't entirely comfortable and I recall not sleeping well on SQ25 (JFK-FRA-SIN), where the same equipment was provided. Let's see what will be offered on the A359ULR.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post

Not flown the previous non-stop SIN-EWR route before, but I don't remember seeing pictures of it looking like this. Did BBC quote unreliable source?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43453264
      The A345s were originally delivered with the Spacebeds as you see in the picture, with a small Executive Economy class section in 2-3-2 layout at the rear.

Later on they were reconfigured to the 100-seat all J cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
        Later on they were reconfigured to the 100-seat all J cabin.
        Were the seats on the all-J flights also the Spacebeds or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
          Were the seats on the all-J flights also the Spacebeds or something else?
          2006 J

Comment

SQ flew to JFK and EWR with the 747 prior to the direct flights. Seats were like that.

The description attached to the image did not claim it to belong to a non-stop flight.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
              SQ flew to JFK and EWR with the 747 prior to the direct flights. Seats were like that.
              article talks about non-stop flight so i believe they are referring to A340-500.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
                article talks about non-stop flight so i believe they are referring to A340-500.
                The article does refer to a non-stop flight but the image did not. As far as I remember (and I may be quite wrong), the A345s had lie flats even before the all J conversion. I may be wrong and apologise if I am. I can't find my old personal photos to check.

Comment

The article does refer to a non-stop flight but the image did not. As far as I remember (and I may be quite wrong), the A345s had lie flats even before the all J conversion. I may be wrong and apologise if I am. I can't find my old personal photos to check.
                  You can see the pictures of the old Business Class cabin on the A340-500s here:

http://airplane-pics.blogspot.sg/200...-a340-500.html
                  Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                    You can see the pictures of the old Business Class cabin on the A340-500s here:

http://airplane-pics.blogspot.sg/200...-a340-500.html
                    Indeed you are right! I stand corrected.

Comment

My colleague who flew on those inclined lie flat seats complained much about them - that she would keep sliding downwards during her sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                        My colleague who flew on those inclined lie flat seats complained much about them - that she would keep sliding downwards during her sleep.
                        That's what happened to me too.

Comment

I had flown the A345 only in the old config (both J and Y+) so can confirm they were the Spacebeds and Executive Economy Class. As a teenager i thoroughly hated the flights LOL. 19 hours was mind-boggling. Also the weird layout of the main gear bogeys meant that landings were always harsh.

Comment

SQ has been extremely unlucky with their A345s.

When first introduced, it was a mix Business ( Spacebed ) and Premium Economy layout.

I use to fly Premium Economy.

In those days, stock markets were booming and J class was often full but Y+ was not

So the decision to switch to all J class was made

Just after it's introduction, the Global Financial Crisis of 2008 happened

And the planes were more empty

Fuel prices went above $100 per barrel and the decision was made to terminate the flights

After they stopped, oil prices fell to $40 per barrel!

I wonder if they could have continued till the A359ULR replaced them....

Comment

I really wish i could have flown this beautiful rare quad jet in the 2008-13 period.....the seats were the better biz class, the flight as long as possible, fantastic sq service.... what more could an aviation geek ask for? unfortunately its too late and i was broke back then too lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X