This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
    The fleet info in the March issue of SilverKris magazine lists only 8 retrofitted 777-200ERs, down from 9 in February. Sounds like SVE has definitely exited. This was not included in the fleet plan section of the mid-year results briefing.

On the other hand, the A333 fleet remains at 22. The briefing suggested one more will exit the fleet by end March.

Perhaps SQ has decided to retire an older aircraft at the expense of renewing an A333 lease.
    Agreed, this definitely goes against what we were expecting from the briefing. Possibly SVE was due for a major maintenance check and the lessor of the A330 might have offered an extension that was assessed as good value in comparison?

It's certainly a good move for passengers on regional flights which is where most of the 772ERs are flying to these days. That is also a cost to take into account- while the retrofitted 2006 77W J seat is no doubt enjoyed by passengers on 2-3 hour flights, they're not really needed from an economic point of view. The A330 products are acceptable for such short haul destinations and both cabins can accommodate more passengers compared with the SV-series 772.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      It's certainly a good move for passengers on regional flights which is where most of the 772ERs are flying to these days.
      Tell me about it. I was on SVI serving SQ981 last night. I was flipping through SilverKris precisely because crew had to restart the IFE several times in order to get it working.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
        Tell me about it. I was on SVI serving SQ981 last night. I was flipping through SilverKris precisely because crew had to restart the IFE several times in order to get it working.
        Urgh and I'm sitting around in MNL because SRP has gone tech. I hope I can even land before midnight... These old 772s really need to go.

Comment

• The Y seats on the old 772s are about as comfortable as a park bench. Even when the IFE is up and running it's got a very limited selection and the pic quality is as fuzzy as a muppet.

Hoping you make it back soon pokfur!

(Have to admit though that the only plane I've been on that has gone tech was an A350...)

Comment

The Y seats on the old 772s are about as comfortable as a park bench. Even when the IFE is up and running it's got a very limited selection and the pic quality is as fuzzy as a muppet.

(Have to admit though that the only plane I've been on that has gone tech was an A350...)
            I have flown on an RAF plane with benching and yes it is just as bad as those Y seats!

Comment

The Y seats on the old 772s are about as comfortable as a park bench. Even when the IFE is up and running it's got a very limited selection and the pic quality is as fuzzy as a muppet.

I did, thankfully, but 2 hours later. We landed at 0035hrs! Urgh.

Have to be honest that it was my first time in Y in those aircraft in many years (J was full when i booked!!!) and I snagged 31A bulkhead and it was surprisingly quite a good flight for me!

Chief steward walked me halfway down to my seat, apologizing for delay, and introducing himself and flight time. Got a cup (not glass) of champagne with compliments before take off. Received socks and slippers without asking. And later on some decaf Illy coffee from Biz class. All crew serving me addressed me by name. I'm guessing it's because i'm PPS and not because I'm cute

The seat was hard but still functional for me. Not in a hurry to be back there, though hehe!

Comment

• It would seem that 9V-SVE wasn't a trade for the one remaining A333 we were expecting to leave the fleet before the end of this month.

STF last flew from MEL to SIN as SQ248 on 26FEB. It has just reached the 9 year mark, having been delivered in April '09.

This would mean SVF, SRL and STF have completed the announcements for aircraft leaving in FY17/18. If SVE has also left the fleet, then this is in addition to that. Not having flown since 28JAN, that's getting a little long to be installing some ex-77W seats and an IFE system. Planespotters has shifted it to the historic fleet.

Comment

It would seem that 9V-SVE wasn't a trade for the one remaining A333 we were expecting to leave the fleet before the end of this month.

STF last flew from MEL to SIN as SQ248 on 26FEB. It has just reached the 9 year mark, having been delivered in April '09.

This would mean SVF, SRL and STF have completed the announcements for aircraft leaving in FY17/18. If SVE has also left the fleet, then this is in addition to that. Not having flown since 28JAN, that's getting a little long to be installing some ex-77W seats and an IFE system. Planespotters has shifted it to the historic fleet.

SVL hasn’t flown since 28 Feb also.
                  SilverKris March edition lists 8 x 772ERs.
                  SVB,C,G,I,J,L,M,N should count as 8... meaning SVE isn’t in that count. So not quite sure what’s going on there.

The SV series 772s seem a little useless at this stage actually...and correct me if I’m wrong, they incur higher landing fees don’t they? So it’s a little less economical to be flying them on short haul routes as opposed to using the SQ/SR 772s.

Do we have any SQ inside staff on this forum privy to such info btw?

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                    SVL hasn’t flown since 28 Feb also.
                    SilverKris March edition lists 8 x 772ERs.
                    SVB,C,G,I,J,L,M,N should count as 8... meaning SVE isn’t in that count. So not quite sure what’s going on there.

The SV series 772s seem a little useless at this stage actually...and correct me if I’m wrong, they incur higher landing fees don’t they? So it’s a little less economical to be flying them on short haul routes as opposed to using the SQ/SR 772s.

Do we have any SQ inside staff on this forum privy to such info btw?
                    I think I'd agree that SVE seems to have been withdrawn from use and no longer counted as part of the fleet. I am fairly sure that this is the first non-leased plane fitted with 2006 J products that we have seen depart the fleet, however.

I'm not sure on the landing fees, so I can't confirm that.

Two further factors I can think of are: firstly that they are fitted with long-haul J seats, which are unnecessary on short-haul flights (although no doubt appreciated) but using them to replace A330s, for example, if the ticket price is the same, they are able to sell less tickets, and the revenue per sq.m on the plane is somewhat lower. Compared with SRL, considerably lower.

Secondly, their value in some aspects may be different to the SQ/SR series 772s, given that since they have been used mostly within their history for longer flights, the number of take-offs and landings they have performed is lower, which I have read here referred to as "cycles". I suspect this is of little value in their day-to-day use, but might make their resale or transfer to another SQ operation easier/better etc. Anyone looking to sell an old 772 right now needs all the help they can get!

Unless SQ plan in the next couple of years to a) return significant numbers of A330s to lessors, b) significantly increase capacity to current destinations or launch new ones or c) both of these options, then it is a little hard to see why they need to maintain so many different 772 variants for much longer. The 78Js seem to be planned to arrive fairly quickly over the next 12 months and after 21 A359s arrived, they have removed far less than 21 planes from their fleet, so things already seem a little saturated.

Comment

• 9V-SVE operated SQ972 | 24MAR18

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post
                        9V-SVE operated SQ972 | 24MAR18
                        Noticed that too! So this raises a few new questions....
                        1) 2006Y fitted inside SVE? And SVL gonna get that too?
                        2) so which is the mystery SQ 772 I saw with its nose covered up in the hanger? It’s not SRL...not SVE....SQK being repaired? (An airport staff I met told me SQK was being repaired btw, not sure how legit) can’t think of any other 772 that’s out of service right now and still sitting around Changi.

Comment

• I'm just cautiously waiting for a second flight. SVE is definitely listed across fr24, flightaware and iCargo as having flown SQ972/5 yesterday. There's some conflicting info on iCargo about corresponding arrival/departure flights among the SV-series though. If SVE heads of to HAN later on today as is indicated, then I'd say it's back.

I'm just always conscious that were are basing all these observations on data, not visually witnessing the plane sitting at the gate or taking off, and no data is ever 100% accurate. We're currently in the middle of the schedule changeover- higher chance for error, but then also possibly a point in time where SQ planned to pull SVE back into service.

Comment

I'm just cautiously waiting for a second flight. SVE is definitely listed across fr24, flightaware and iCargo as having flown SQ972/5 yesterday. There's some conflicting info on iCargo about corresponding arrival/departure flights among the SV-series though. If SVE heads of to HAN later on today as is indicated, then I'd say it's back.

I'm just always conscious that were are basing all these observations on data, not visually witnessing the plane sitting at the gate or taking off, and no data is ever 100% accurate. We're currently in the middle of the schedule changeover- higher chance for error, but then also possibly a point in time where SQ planned to pull SVE back into service.
                            Yup, 9V-SVE is operating the SQ176/175 rotation.
                            Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Yes, SVE is on its way to HAN as predicted by iCargo and now confirmed by fr24 and flightware. It's quite curious to bring this plane back as I've just done some in-depth research into the 772ER SV-series, detailed below.

Current use of the SV-series over the past week

The following destinations & flight pairs consistently received SV-series 772:
                              BKK SQ972/5 & SQ978/81
                              BNE SQ265/6
                              CHC SQ297/8
                              HAN SQ176/5
                              IST SQ392/1 (4x weekly)
                              PER SQ213/26 & SQ215/6
                              SYD SQ251/2 (5x weekly)

The SV-series 772s were not used on any other flights over the past week. SVE and SVL were both out of service, but SVE has just returned to service. (Double-checking, flightaware does not list any other destinations for the past fortnight.)

Future use of the SV-series until at least mid-May

The following flight pairs will no longer be flown by an SV-series 772:
                              BKK SQ972/5 will have a mix of A330 & 78J effective from now
                              SYD SQ251/2 (5x weekly) changes to 77W effective from now

The following flight pairs will soon lose the SV-series 772:
                              PER SQ215/6 will have a mix of A330 & 78J effective from 01MAY
                              HAN SQ176/5 changes to A330 effective from 01MAY
                              BKK SQ978/81 changes to A330 effective from 01MAY

The following flight pairs will remain with an SV-series 772:
                              BNE SQ265/6
                              CHC SQ297/8
                              IST SQ392/1 (5x weekly)
                              PER SQ213/26

In addition:
                              BKK SQ970/3 which had been A330 will gain the 772ER for just one week, followed by the 78J, and then return to A330 from 03MAY. There does seem to be some interesting use of the 78J- they must be receiving a second one before 10APR, as the same plane can't be flying both SQ973 & SQ975 on the same day.

Also of note:
                              MEL SQ247/8 (3x weekly) terminates at the end of April, losing the A330.
                              MEL-WLG SQ247/8 (4x weekly) will get the SQ/SR-series 772 off the terminating CBR-WLG route, not the B772ER, which I confirmed by performing a dummy booking and seat selection.

Conclusion
                              With the 772ER reduced to BNE, CHC, IST & PER, these flights could easily be covered by a fleet of only 5. With SVE rejoining the active fleet, and assuming SVL has not been withdrawn, they have a fleet of 9. Can anybody identify any new possible 772ER destinations? Could it be the later SV-series depart to say, Vistara, which is why the 2006 77W refitting has happened to SVB, SVC and possibly now SVE?

Comment

Yes, SVE is on its way to HAN as predicted by iCargo and now confirmed by fr24 and flightware. It's quite curious to bring this plane back as I've just done some in-depth research into the 772ER SV-series, detailed below.

Current use of the SV-series over the past week

The following destinations & flight pairs consistently received SV-series 772:
                                BKK SQ972/5 & SQ978/81
                                BNE SQ265/6
                                CHC SQ297/8
                                HAN SQ176/5
                                IST SQ392/1 (4x weekly)
                                PER SQ213/26 & SQ215/6
                                SYD SQ251/2 (5x weekly)

The SV-series 772s were not used on any other flights over the past week. SVE and SVL were both out of service, but SVE has just returned to service. (Double-checking, flightaware does not list any other destinations for the past fortnight.)

Future use of the SV-series until at least mid-May

The following flight pairs will no longer be flown by an SV-series 772:
                                BKK SQ972/5 will have a mix of A330 & 78J effective from now
                                SYD SQ251/2 (5x weekly) changes to 77W effective from now

The following flight pairs will soon lose the SV-series 772:
                                PER SQ215/6 will have a mix of A330 & 78J effective from 01MAY
                                HAN SQ176/5 changes to A330 effective from 01MAY
                                BKK SQ978/81 changes to A330 effective from 01MAY

The following flight pairs will remain with an SV-series 772:
                                BNE SQ265/6
                                CHC SQ297/8
                                IST SQ392/1 (5x weekly)
                                PER SQ213/26

In addition:
                                BKK SQ970/3 which had been A330 will gain the 772ER for just one week, followed by the 78J, and then return to A330 from 03MAY. There does seem to be some interesting use of the 78J- they must be receiving a second one before 10APR, as the same plane can't be flying both SQ973 & SQ975 on the same day.

Also of note:
                                MEL SQ247/8 (3x weekly) terminates at the end of April, losing the A330.
                                MEL-WLG SQ247/8 (4x weekly) will get the SQ/SR-series 772 off the terminating CBR-WLG route, not the B772ER, which I confirmed by performing a dummy booking and seat selection.

Conclusion
                                With the 772ER reduced to BNE, CHC, IST & PER, these flights could easily be covered by a fleet of only 5. With SVE rejoining the active fleet, and assuming SVL has not been withdrawn, they have a fleet of 9. Can anybody identify any new possible 772ER destinations? Could it be the later SV-series depart to say, Vistara, which is why the 2006 77W refitting has happened to SVB, SVC and possibly now SVE?

wow that's a good effort!

looking back, SQ did spend money to refurbish Y class and install PEY into the A380s SKA-SKE even though they had merely a year or so remaining before they knew they were returning them to lessors.

from that, it appears SQ's priority may simply be in offering a consistent feel across its aircraft. in which case, the remaining lifespan of the aircraft doesn't matter in the decision to refurbish with 2006Y.

according to a captain i had a chat with, the few 772s were refitted with 2006Y at random..when it was convenient (i.e. during one of their major checks)..and apparently there arent plans to refit any other 772s.

will be interesting to see what their upcoming FY briefing will say about their fleet plans for the year ahead. i can only see that there are at most 13 A330s which could be returned to lessors.... in which case if the 772s & 773s are still being kept, may be for this reason (and until SQ receives sufficient 787-10s).

Comment

Working...
                                X