No announcement yet.

JS: PEK-FNJ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics, SQOZflyer. Thanks for sharing.

Any Korean speakers/readers on the board? I'd love to know what the exhortations in the metro (above the clock) and on the posters say.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      Great pics, SQOZflyer. Thanks for sharing.

Any Korean speakers/readers on the board? I'd love to know what the exhortations in the metro (above the clock) and on the posters say.
      With my crappy Korean I can understand the words: 21st century, Kim Jong Il and "long live!" above the clock ... don't understand the meaning of the rest... so I guess it could mean something like: Together with Comrade Kim Jong Il we march towards the 21st century... or Comrade Kim Jong Il leads us towards the 21st century... but that's a VERY VERY vague guess

The word at the end (man-se!) means sth like "long live!" so could also be Long live Comrade Kim Jong Il in the 21st century...!?
      Last edited by SQOZflyer; 24 June 2007, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Fortunately I have a North-Korean dictionary: There's also the word "tae-jang" which means "Sun"... So I think the text above the clock virtually means: "Long Live Kim Jong Il, the Sun of the 21st century"

Not modest the guy
        Last edited by SQOZflyer; 24 June 2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Fascinating!
          If only I'm half as intrepid as you, SQOZFlyer.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Fascinating!
            Intrepid!? For posting the pics here (after all DPRK's secret service has a reputation for abducting people abroad) or for going to DPRK?
            Last edited by SQOZflyer; 24 June 2007, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQOZflyer View Post
              Intrepid!? For posting the pics here (after all DPRK's secret service has a reputation for abducting people abroad) or for going to DPRK?
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Fortunately I have a North-Korean dictionary: There's also the word "tae-jang" which means "Sun"... So I think the text above the clock virtually means: "Long Live Kim Jong Il, the Sun of the 21st century"

Not modest the guy
                No, definitely not modest. It makes me wonder if dictators ever know how ridiculous their propaganda sounds.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, SQOZFlyer. It was interesting to take a glimpse into DPRK.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for Sharing! Hope to visit the place one of these days!

Check-In: Efficient and by one of the most attractive Korean ladies I've seen so far... (did not dare to take a pict of her though)

Service: : Lovely FA's , all female, spoke very good English... as good as SQ or any other top carrier in Y.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      Fascinating!
                      I'll settle for a quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        I'll settle for a quarter.
                        A quarter? You of all people?

Reading your numerous trip reports, I think I'll be lucky if I'm even 10% as intrepid as you or SQOZflyer.

Comment

How could I miss this thread ? SQOZflyer, thank you very much for the photos - it was fascinating!

I read about the DPRK a few years ago - BBC article, e.g.

Pyongyang is very modern in some respects, but completely alien in others, said Mr Willoughby.

"There's absolutely no reference to the outside world - no adverts, no symbols," he said.

"At night, because of the energy shortages, there are no lights and it's absolutely silent. You can hear babies crying from the other side of the river."

[...]

There is a road called Restaurant Street, which has several food outlets, all of which are empty," he said.

"There are no menus, as you get what there is in stock. The best restaurant in town served us a burger with a fried egg."
                          and I have thought of visiting (using the UK travel company mentioned in the BBC article and which I think SQFAN was referring to) but haven't found the time so far. Definitely one of those places (like Havana) to visit before it changes!

Comment

Awesome report, SQOZFlyer !

I love the photo of the giant Kim statue.
                            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Is there a reason that people faces are blacked-out for all your pictures ? Was that self censorship?

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                                Is there a reason that people faces are blacked-out for all your pictures ? Was that self censorship?
                                Probably because SQOZflyer would prefer not to (potentially) incriminate North Korean citizens, in case being in a picture that is publicly posted would be taken negatively by the regime?

Comment

Working...
                                X