No announcement yet.

Amex PPS Club Credit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes you wonder, with the thinning of the PPS ranks, how attractive of a market AMEX considers this. If you consider that many of the members are corporate travellers who often have a corporate credit card they must use by company policy, the group may be exclusive but may not necessarily be very 'high value'.

Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself and the colleagues I had in SG. So many PPS members, so little net worth

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
      I called this morning to cancel the card. I was put through a someone who wanted to know why. I said that the reasons are the high annual fees, and the inability to match the product offering of another new card in the market. She kept harping about the benefits and I still insisted on cancelling. Finally she offered to waive the fee, "on an exceptional basis, just for this year". So I agreed to keep the card, but the spending still will go to Citibank Premier Miles.
      My annual fee is due this month, and I called Amex to ask for a waiver, and after a few minutes reviewing my spending, another person spoke to me and said my request was granted.

Great, I'll get to use this card for at least another year then.
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Are there any perks for the 2nd year renewal, e.g. the 50% off upgrades thing?? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
          My annual fee is due this month, and I called Amex to ask for a waiver, and after a few minutes reviewing my spending, another person spoke to me and said my request was granted.

Great, I'll get to use this card for at least another year then.
          Hi Upright Man,

How did you managed to ask them for waiver? They mentioned to me that no waiver will be given.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            Are there any perks for the 2nd year renewal, e.g. the 50% off upgrades thing?? Thanks.
            Well, that's the problem......a voucher was sent to me earlier which gives 65% off economy tix redemption (up to 35000 miles) or 50% off an upgrade (up to 25000 miles) - however, the voucher says it can be used subject to payment of renewal fee of $150 - so I assume that since mine was waived, I can't use the voucher now.

My suggestion : when you receive the voucher, use it ASAP to enjoy the miles, then worry about the annual fee later.
            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Well, that's the problem......a voucher was sent to me earlier which gives 65% off economy tix redemption (up to 35000 miles) or 50% off an upgrade (up to 25000 miles) - however, the voucher says it can be used subject to payment of renewal fee of $150 - so I assume that since mine was waived, I can't use the voucher now.

My suggestion : when you receive the voucher, use it ASAP to enjoy the miles, then worry about the annual fee later.
              When did you get the vouchers? My card annual fees should be due this month or next and i have not recieved the vouchers.

Comment

Blimey,...I'd pay the renewal at the drop of a hat in order to save 25,000 miles on an upgrade! They'd cost US$1,000 to buy through KF! One would hope that your voucher is still be compatible with the waived fee, then you get the best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                  How did you managed to ask them for waiver? They mentioned to me that no waiver will be given.
                  They look at your spending on this card for the past 12 months. It appears the magic figure now is S$25,000. But then again the granting of waiver is discretionary.

I read a clause somewhere that next year in order to get this 25,000/35,000 miles renewal voucher, you must spend a minimum of S$25,000 and pay your annual fee.

Comment

You can still use the 25,000/35,000 miles renewal voucher even if you get the waiver. No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                      When did you get the vouchers? My card annual fees should be due this month or next and i have not recieved the vouchers.
                      You should receive this voucher in your mail not long after your see the annual fee reflected on your AMEX statement.

Comment

Originally posted by aerosmith View Post
                        They look at your spending on this card for the past 12 months. It appears the magic figure now is S$25,000. But then again the granting of waiver is discretionary.

I read a clause somewhere that next year in order to get this 25,000/35,000 miles renewal voucher, you must spend a minimum of S$25,000 and pay your annual fee.
                        Thanks for the feedback. I terminated my PPS Card in December 2006. I actually hit more than 25,000 SGD expenditure on the card. They must have changed the criteria to reflect market realities.

Comment

Originally posted by aerosmith View Post

Thanks ! That's great news.
                          Edit : I mean about my still being able to use the voucher.
                          J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                            I've have lots of lucky breaks with this card (Nickbot you will be jealous) :

- got it in Jan 07 and of course had 5000 KF mile first-use voucher.

- used the first voucher to redeem 2 SIN-NRT return Y tix for 60000 miles (bad choice I think).

- out of nowhere they mailed me a second voucher in Sept 07 (I thought it was a routine thing but have since realised it isn't) - used to get a return SIN-Guangzhou ticket for my Dad for 10500 miles.

- now lucky to get a second year fee waiver (note : I'm gonna lose my PPS status soon but Amex said it's OK), and if I can use this third voucher like aerosmith says, it'll be great.
                            J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                              I received this latest voucher in early Jan 08 (that's when you should use the voucher ASAP SuperJonJon) , and only received my paper statement today which charged me $150 for renewal - and promptly called them to ask for a waiver.

I think the main reason they waived the fee was that I was using this card heavily for most of 2007 (until I got the Citibank PremierMiles card).

Of course I obeyed the cardinal rules of begging when I called them ie asked to know the officer's name, made some small talk, then asked for it humbly. I also adopted a confident tone, like I expected them to waive it routinely (though I heard that this fee was previously 'strictly not waivable).
                              J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

(though I heard that this fee was previously 'strictly not waivable).
                                You are right, I was actually very surprised when they say they are waiving it. The previous year, despite my begging and threatening and highlighting how much I have charged through this card, AMEX did not waiver (no pun intended. ). When I call them this time round, I was simply trying my luck and thank goodness I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X