Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrival at Milano Malpensa Airport

Hi all,

I am flying into Milano Malpensa Airport for the first time.

I intend to plan onward travel by train. Express into Milan, and then a train to most likely Venice.

I am flying in from SIN in First Class. Arrival is at 8 am Saturday morning on April 9.

Can someone please advise on typical delays to clear immigration etc.

Is their any priority lanes for F (or J) passengers?

Thanks.

This is Italy - so get set for total chaos and disorganisation!

I am Italian so I can say this...lol.

MXP though should be OK that time of morning but from memory like most airports don't expect priority lanes for arrival - it is just stand EU and non-EU lanes.

Just be thankful you are not flying in or out of Rome's FCO - total nightmare. Was there in October and it made be ashamed to be Italian - total disgrace.

I tend to compare everyhthing though to SIN' Changi - it's pretty hard for anyone to come close to that type of efficiency and organisation. Always a pleasure to arrive and leave from Changi.

Comment

Originally posted by SkySuites View Post

MXP though should be OK that time of morning but from memory like most airports don't expect priority lanes for arrival - it is just stand EU and non-EU lanes.

Thanks for the quick response.

I am non-EU (Australian Passport).
      When I flew into Manchester last July the non-Eu lane was very slow....took over an hour from the time one arrived in the queue to be checked by immigration. It wasa Sunday with lots of charter flights. My wife arrived the day prior and breezed through...

The English and EU lines by comparison despite say having 4 times the traffic had people passing through in say 15-20 minutes.

For MXP..does anyone want to hazrad a quess at the likely typical range of time from landing through to getting to the train station?

Comment

It should take you about 20 mins...I've got both EU and Aussie passport and last time I was at MXP the non-EU was quicker.

Also the good thing now is that MXP is directly linked with Milano Centrale Station as oppossed to to the less central Piazza di Cadorna station. It's a new train too so it should be nice.

Comment

OT: Is that the train they featured in the Johnny Depp/Angelina Jolie tourist promo/'excuse for a film'-movie The Tourist last month?

Very interested in this thread in general as planning something similar myself...

Comment

Also the good thing now is that MXP is directly linked with Milano Centrale Station as oppossed to to the less central Piazza di Cadorna station. It's a new train too so it should be nice.
            You have any more info/links on this rail service?

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
              You have any more info/links on this rail service?
              You can book Italian Trains via:
              http://www.trenitalia.com/ (Note: you need to use the Italian spelling for stations)

Looks for the Mini fares. Note that public trains in Italy have only just adopted (ie as of Jan 24!!!!!) a new set of fares, and classifications to be had.

There are some bargains to be had. ie Venice to Rome on the very fast train for only 27 Euro.

The Express is 11 Euro one way, or 14.5 Euro return.

Also for the Express see:

http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/index.php

The Malpensa Express connects the center of Milan (Cadorna station) to Milan Malpensa.
              Airport with trains travelling every 30 minutes in both directions. Trains leave every hour at 27 minutes and 57 minutes for Malpensa and at 23 minutes and 53 minutes for Milano Cadorna.

The trains stops at the following stations, with interchange options:

Busto Arsizio FN - Saronno - Milano Bovisa Politecnico
              ickets from and to the Malpensa Airport can be bought from all the ticket offices of the FERROVIENORD network (Milan branch only) from automatic self-service machines or from the Malpensa Express ticket offices located as follows:

Milano Cadorna station near quays n. 1 and 2.
              Open every day: from 4.30 to 23.00.
              Malpensa Airport Terminal 1 (floor -1).
              Open every day: from 5.30 to 00.20

You can also bus to a local station and then catch a 40 minute train trip to Milano Centrale.

ie

There are also rail links from Malpensa Airport terminals 1 and 2 via Trenitalia trains to Milan Central and Milan Garibaldi Stations via Gallarate. A local shuttle bus also connects the airport with Gallarate Rail Station every hour and costs 1.30 euros from Terminal 1 and €1.05 from terminal 2.

A free shuttle bus operates between the terminals every 15 minutes for twenty four hours a day. Telephone: +39.0331.258411

The trains depart from Gallarate to Milan Central starting at 05.54 until 23.24 and to Milan Garibaldi trains depart Gallarate from 05.30 until 23.00.
              To find out more visit the link at the start of this post.
              Last edited by lovetravellingoz; 25 January 2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hi guys - not sure if it's the same train as featured in The Tourist - have not seen it - has anyone??? lol

This is the official link for the MALPENSA EXPRESS TRAIN

http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/index.php

I hope it helps,

SkySuites

Comment

Also note that if you are getting an onward train that you still need to get to Centrale.

So if you take the Express to Cardona...you either have to:
                  *catch the Underground..lugging bags
                  *grab a taxi

Another option is to takea bus from the airport to Centrale.
                  Last edited by lovetravellingoz; 25 January 2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetravellingoz View Post
                    There are also rail links from Malpensa Airport terminals 1 and 2 via Trenitalia trains to Milan Central and Milan Garibaldi Stations via Gallarate. A local shuttle bus also connects the airport with Gallarate Rail Station every hour and costs 1.30 euros from Terminal 1 and €1.05 from terminal 2.

A free shuttle bus operates between the terminals every 15 minutes for twenty four hours a day. Telephone: +39.0331.258411

The trains depart from Gallarate to Milan Central starting at 05.54 until 23.24 and to Milan Garibaldi trains depart Gallarate from 05.30 until 23.00.
                    To find out more visit the link at the start of this post.
                    Playing around on the booking engine this looks best to me for my intentions:

Train: Eurocity 37 from Gallarate 11:04 to Venezia S. Lucia 14:40
                    Class: 2ª | Passenger/s: 3 | Mandatory reservation - Coach: 7 Seat: 54 , 55 , 56

..as I can get using the MINI fare to Venice from Galarate for only 15 Euro per person!!! Plus as it turns out it will be less hassle as I will only need now to board one train rather than 2 or 3

http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en...=come_arrivare
                    Departure from: Terminal 1- floor -1 Railway station
                    Timetable: 05.34 a.m.* 06.05 a.m.** 06.45 a.m. 07.15 a.m.** 07.56 a.m. 08.29 a.m.* 09.00 a.m. 09.30 a.m.* 10.30 a.m. 11.30 a.m.** 12.15 p.m. **S 12.50 p.m.**S 01.13 p.m.S 01.53 p.m.*S 03.30 p.m. 04.28 p.m. 05.38 p.m. 06.45 p.m.* 07.50 p.m.*
                    Every day
                    (*) from Monday to Friday
                    (**) from Monday to Saturday
                    (S) scholastic period
                    Duration Time: 25´
                    Tickets can be bought on the bus
                    Last edited by lovetravellingoz; 25 January 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I plan to fly in & out of Milan, would love to drive but the one way car hire prices are horrendous. Just need transport between Malpensa & Milano Centrale.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                        I plan to fly in & out of Milan, would love to drive but the one way car hire prices are horrendous. Just need transport between Malpensa & Milano Centrale.
                        From what I have read today. I think bus will be easiest. Bus departs every 20 minutes.

I think I will end up today this as to allow for the flight coming in late etc I will probably book a slightly later train.

Comment

New ? The Malpensa Express train has been around for many many years.

Besides the info above, you can get more by searching for Malpensa, e.g. a thread about a transfer from LIN to MXP.

Edit: I understand now! The Malpensa Express goes to Cadorna but you're talking about the (so I see now) new train to Centrale. For me, I wouldn't worry about Centrale or Cadorna - I've found the subway fine (even with luggage) and taxis are inexpensive.

Comment

try not taking the bus, you will be stuck in traffic.... further, where the bus terminates, you will have to walk a distance to the train station....

I have started a thread on this before and posted information of how I got into Milan to catch the train, took the bus and was stuck in morning rush hour.... go find the thread...
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Hi TS, I did the exact trip with the same intended motive (train to Venezia) but in Y just a few months back.

My arrival on that flight was a bit early due to strong tailwinds, and we arrived 7-ish local time. It seems like it was the first arrival of the day and it was damn dark.

Took the bus (paid something like less than €10 I think?) to Milano Centrale. Trust me, it is better than ANY OTHER OPTION including the ridiculous Malpensa Express which goes to Cardona. Reaches Centrale stazione in about an hour depending on traffic conditions.

And yes, you can book trains at the Trenitalia online website, but the thing is (at the time I had my trip) Trenitalia's online e-booking system requires a local card or something like that or the transaction is rejected.

I for one had no problem at booking my EuroCity train with 30min to spare (but the damned EuroStar Italia was sold out ).

———————————————————————
                              Note of advise. When you travel INTO Venezia Santa Lucia, book your OUTGOING train ticket. I made this very mistake, and on the day of departure from Venezia S.L., I was told that the only available Eurostar Italia train going to Roma Termini (Rome) was 7 hours later! Forget about the slow trains, they're really slow. Venezia S.L. to Bologna Centrale should be fine though, but it is the section from Bologna Centrale to Roma Termini via Firenze S.M.N that is always the problem.

In the end, € goes a long way in Italy. Paid <€20 for a place on the train albeit without a seat to the conductor (it went into his pockets *ahem*).

Comment

Working...
                              X