Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One from the archives: SQFG rides Varig (RG Y CGH-POA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One from the archives: SQFG rides Varig (RG Y CGH-POA)

Just thought I'd save these for posterity. We don't really have many non SQ Trip reports so i thought one or two of you might find this interesting.

Had to fly once from CGH (Sao Paulo Congonhas), which is the city airport and much smaller than GRU (Sao Paulo Guarulhos) which is where the international flights depart from, to POA (Porto Alegre), capital of the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul. I had a choice of Varig, TAM or Gol. Whilst I was dying to ride TAM at the time, the allure of *A miles kept me there. Since it was also one class domestic, I thought I'd at least fly *A for lounge access.

Outside view

Congonhas is extremely crowded, which of course, is a function of the size of Sao Paulo - i.e MASSIVE! They did have a renovation not so long ago, which made it pleasant enough though.

And where are the pics of the lounge? There are none, cause I couldn't find it. Maybe it didn't exist. So I sat outside and watched people instead.

Boarding is done by airstairs. I think they're slowly converting them to airbridges, but in the meantime, yay!. Here's my ride PT-SSQ

Some more renovation going on in the background

Planes lining up for takeoff. It's super busy!

to be continued
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 29 December 2007, 08:01 PM.

On board, service was pretty dismal though. I got some guarana and managed to sneak a diet coke on board. There was nothing to eat, and the seat pitch was also pretty tight. I have a few brasilian colleages who are 6'5 1/2", 6'6" and 6'7" who are now based in Asia - they have NO chance of comfort in those seats!

Porto Alegre! (A very nice city which I'm fond of)

Porto Alegre Airport - Aeroporto Salgado Filho. Quite nice now that they've remodeled it. I used to come in the past and it was shocking. Now, i have to say, it's quite pleasant - and a lot better than almost any Brasilian Airport.

Ok - that's it. Hope you enjoyed it
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 29 December 2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

A trip report on RG isn't going to come from me, that's for sure. I'm glad you're a more intrepid spirit, SQfg.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        I'm glad you're a more intrepid spirit, SQfg.
        I'm no intrepid spirit. It's the company that puts me up to this. I'd rather be at home lying on my bed and watching TV

Comment

Very very exotic trip on Varig there.....SQflyergirl is indeed very adventurous and has travelled round the world...

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
            SQflyergirl is indeed very adventurous and has travelled round the world...
            They only let me out of the cage once in a while. That's when i get to stand upright.

Comment

Working...
            X