$28 or 25000 miles to Bangkok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $28 or 25000 miles to Bangkok?

Last week wanted to redeem 2 tickets to Bangkok, make a call to SQ Krisflyer, was quoted 25000 air miles plus $168 taxes & surcharges per seat, later search thru the SQ website, there was a fare to BKK at $198 per head including taxes & surcharges, booked thru the website & was billed $394 for 2 tickets. that translate to 25000 air miles only able to offset approximately $28 from the air fare. wondering is it really worth redeeming mile for travel to S.E.Asia, with airlines selling their seats at rock bottom fare?

There is little point redeeming economy class tickets on any carrier which adds fuel surcharges onto award bookings
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

In general I fully agree, but there are occasional cases where I use miles for an Eco flight. Usually only on CGK or DPS flights when only full fare Eco is available. Redeemed SIN-CGK-SIN last week for 12.75k mls (15% online redemption discount) when the Eco fare was 700 SGD. Needed to be on SQ as another person I'm returning with is also on SQ. Decent value here even if I count out the 139 SGD in tax and YQ I had to pay.
      Last edited by demue; 7 April 2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonahl View Post
        Last week wanted to redeem 2 tickets to Bangkok, make a call to SQ Krisflyer, was quoted 25000 air miles plus $168 taxes & surcharges per seat, later search thru the SQ website, there was a fare to BKK at $198 per head including taxes & surcharges, booked thru the website & was billed $394 for 2 tickets. that translate to 25000 air miles only able to offset approximately $28 from the air fare. wondering is it really worth redeeming mile for travel to S.E.Asia, with airlines selling their seats at rock bottom fare?
        Really not worthy. You have to redeem long haul flight to fully utilize your point much better. I would like to show you my case below:
        KUL - CPT
        Original fare - Rm5.6k/pax/roundtrip
        Point required - 50k/pax/roundtrip (same like yours!)
        I redeem 2 tickets online so used 85k points (15% discount for redeem online)
        Paid airport tax + fuel surcharge - Rm3.5k for 2 pax.
        Saved: Rm7.7k for 2 pax/roundtrip

So don't burn your point for short distance friend, you deserve better option

Comment

Working...
        X