The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    jhm, that's one...hmmm...interesting looking bag...
    If you meant the colour, I actually went for a boring black. If you meant the design, then is it that ... interesting ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      If you meant the colour, I actually went for a boring black. If you meant the design, then is it that ... interesting ?
      Hmmm...I'd have to go with both. hahahahaha
      HUGE AL

Comment

As such, can I ask what factors make you take along the Rimowa on a trip as opposed to the B&R ? Is it just the factor of being able to hang another bag off the B&R ?
        That's one factor. The more important one is capacity -- I chose my Rimowa to be smaller than the B&R, and that capacity is fixed because the Rimowa isn't expandable. It was the Rimowa I took on my SYD and KUL trip this summer. I was very glad it was lightweight when I had to carry it up the narrow staircase of my friend's house in SYD, and it was great to be able to spot it among the black suitcases coming out at SYD, KUL and LHR. I did miss the B&R strap-on when my rollaboard kept slipping from the top of the Rimowa as I was navigating airports. When I go home for Christmas, I will likely use the B&R again, because I'll need to bring some gifts home.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

A great many thanks to jjpb3 and the others who have contributed to this thread. Certainly gives me something to think about.

Comment

Back to Basic

After so many times my check-in bags got lost while traveling, I decided to go back to basic suitcase for check-in. A Samsonite F/Lite Comfort. It's a hardcase. Thank you to a special someone in Singapore who could get me the bag for SGD215. And, I was able to claim the GST refund for SGD9 (yeah after a $5 fee applied). Will see whether this bag will bring me peace in traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
              After so many times my check-in bags got lost while traveling, I decided to go back to basic suitcase for check-in. A Samsonite F/Lite Comfort. It's a hardcase. Thank you to a special someone in Singapore who could get me the bag for SGD215. And, I was able to claim the GST refund for SGD9 (yeah after a $5 fee applied). Will see whether this bag will bring me peace in traveling.
              Methinks someone used the SQ crew discount for Samsonite

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                Methinks someone used the SQ crew discount for Samsonite
                What? I did not know that SQ crew gets discount. How much? Any brand or just Samsonite?

Comment

What? I did not know that SQ crew gets discount. How much? Any brand or just Samsonite?
                  40% on Samsonite luggage from their own store locations in Suntec City and Isetan Scotts.

Comment

OK - I've finally decided to get a Rimowa Bolero.

It seems similar to the Rimowa Salsa which jjpb3 mentioned above but with the addition of outside pockets (which I find useful for putting my passport, tix etc) and some internal organsation (adding in total about 500g to the weight). I hope it'll fit into a LHR gauge.

I know the Rimowa is ugly but the main reason for getting it to replace my existing Samsonite bought last year (still alive and well despite bouncing over the cobblestones of Zurich ) is that it's marginally bigger and the case is thinner. Enough to - I hope again - hold my work 19" laptop so that I don't have to carry it in a laptop bag and check-in my carry on like before.

If the Rimowa arrives in time, I'll be taking it for my fortnight trip to Japan starting next week.

Thanks again for all the advice! (Now to think about replacing my suitcase... )

Comment

Nice choice, jhm.

Had I been aware of that model, I might've bought myself one.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for the validation of my choice, jjpb3 - what a relief for me!

I just phoned up the company who I ordered from - OCS near LHR (I've never heard of them before and only found them through a Google search for Rimowa in the UK and saw that they seem to do a decent selection) - and it should be with me on Monday!

Edit: it seems that they provide ground services to airlines.
                        Last edited by jhm; 28 September 2007, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I am very happy to report that my Samsonite made it all the way to Montreal with many connections from SIN. Hope it stays this way, i.e. not missing my check-in bag.

Comment

After so many times my check-in bags got lost while traveling...
                            Dude, you've got to stop flying BA.

OK - I've finally decided to get a Rimowa Bolero.
                            That is one "interesting" looking PRICEY bag. I do think it looks cool, though.

I just picked up a new Briggs for checked baggage since the 26" is the only size I was really missing.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/travel/l...bleupright.asp

If the Rimowa arrives in time, I'll be taking it for my fortnight trip to Japan starting next week.
                            jhm, I should be in Tokyo the 7th thru the 10th if you're around...
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              jhm, I should be in Tokyo the 7th thru the 10th if you're around...
                              Sorry, we just miss you - we're in Tokyo 3-5 Oct and back again on 16-17 Oct. Hopefully some other time, some other place!

Comment

Sorry, we just miss you - we're in Tokyo 3-5 Oct and back again on 16-17 Oct. Hopefully some other time, some other place!
                                Hmmm now we use we.
                                Anyhow, enjoy your trip to Tokyo!

Comment

Working...
                                X