No announcement yet.

Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recall Changi using several taxiways to park planes (mostly SQ fleet) during SARS. Presumably they can do this again, though the composition and layout of the airport has changed significantly since that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
      Latest cancellation by SQ/MI
      SQ22/21/12/11 are affected as well
      https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...le_updated.pdf
      Seems that the last european gateways are shut off as well. ZRH and CPH are closed for Apr and LHR seems to have major cancellations.

SIN-AMS seems to have at least some flights but maybe for more for cargo.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
        Latest cancellation by SQ/MI
        SQ22/21/12/11 are affected as well
        https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...le_updated.pdf
        It is strange that they use "Sweden" instead of "Stockholm" for SQ361/362

Comment

• I warned weeks ago that bookings had already fallen off a cliff. Reading some comments on here over the last week or so you would think some people are living in a cave with no access to the news or outside world.

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          Yes and SQ did not change or downguage the A380 flights which meant that the pax load are still good.
          You got a link to these 'good' passenger loads ?. Unless people are now considering double figure pax numbers as 'good', which they are on some flights believe me.

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          SQ would likely have at least 50% of its international flights be cancelled and easily 40% of its planes be grounded.
          They'd probably snatch your hand off at Airline House if that was all it will be. Most European airlines are cutting 70, 80 or even 95% of their flights. SK have announced they are effectively shutting down and they are talking of shutting terminals at LHR. Yes, that's LHR - London Heathrow Airport!!!. Think about that for a minute....

This post seems to be by far the most sensible one on here in the last few weeks in among some of the nonsense posted:

Originally posted by boing View Post
          What we are witnessing is unprecedented in commercial aviation history. Past events like 9/11 and financial crisis were restricted geographically and demographically.

This was initially restricted geographically but has now begun to bloom to a worldwide pandemic. With governments putting on restrictions, no amount of market simulation is going to help.

It would only get worse and many airlines survival is at stake. Those that are not nimble are going to end up biting the dust.
          Last edited by MAN Flyer; 18 March 2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
            9V-SMN is on its way to MUC as SQ8930: ETA 7:49am

9V-SMR returned to SIN as SQ8931 and landed this morning
            Any idea what are the purpose of these flights? Due to Covid-19?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              I warned weeks ago that bookings had already fallen off a cliff. Reading some comments on here over the last week or so you would think some people are living in a cave with no access to the news or outside world.

You got a link to these 'good' passenger loads ?. Unless people are now considering double figure pax numbers as 'good', which they are on some flights believe me.

They'd probably snatch your hand off at Airline House if that was all it will be. Most European airlines are cutting 70, 80 or even 95% of their flights. SK have announced they are effectively shutting down and they are talking of shutting terminals at LHR. Yes, that's LHR - London Heathrow Airport!!!. Think about that for a minute....

This post seems to be by far the most sensible one on here in the last few weeks in among some of the nonsense posted:
              Are you blaming people for being optimistic or not falling in line with what you are saying?

You asked for "a link to these 'good' passenger loads". But you substantiate your "double figure pax numbers" with a simple "believe me." Is that fair?

The fact that SQ is still mounting A380 flights prompts people to question if loads are that bad. The line of questioning is absolutely reasonable.

If you are not happy that SQ is not shutting down as fast as you like, go tell them that. There is no need to take it out on people here with the language that you used. It is regretful that this is coming from a founder of this forum. I am not here to fall in line nor support such shaming of members. This will be my last post and last time I am here.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9VSSA View Post
                Any idea what are the purpose of these flights? Due to Covid-19?
                RSAF repatriation flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
                  Are you blaming people for being optimistic or not falling in line with what you are saying?

You asked for "a link to these 'good' passenger loads". But you substantiate your "double figure pax numbers" with a simple "believe me." Is that fair?

The fact that SQ is still mounting A380 flights prompts people to question if loads are that bad. The line of questioning is absolutely reasonable.

If you are not happy that SQ is not shutting down as fast as you like, go tell them that. There is no need to take it out on people here with the language that you used. It is regretful that this is coming from a founder of this forum. I am not here to fall in line nor support such shaming of members. This will be my last post and last time I am here.
                  Deary me...where to start with this one...

Yes I did ask for a link to claims that passenger loads are good. How is that unreasonable when anyone who hasn't been in a cave knows airlines are literally on their last legs and grounding most of their aircraft ?. I am going off conversations with SQ Management, Loyalty and PR people as well as Senior Cabin Crew that are personal friends. I asked a simple question, no idea why you are getting so excited about it.

As for the frankly bizarre comment as not being happy about SQ shutting down as fast as I would like, that's just silly when I am, as you state, a founder member of a forum called 'SQTalk'.

We shouldn't take things too personally, or seriously, on a public message forum, myself included.
                  Last edited by MAN Flyer; 19 March 2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I warned weeks ago that bookings had already fallen off a cliff. Reading some comments on here over the last week or so you would think some people are living in a cave with no access to the news or outside world.

At that time and date of writing SQ and the media reported that SQ is cutting back flights by 50%. Of course by now with more restrictions by other countries and our own, SQ would have cut down by more than 50%. One must take into account the time and date when it was posted.

On the use of A380, I am sure SQ is not that stupid to fly the A380 when without a reasonable load to fly it, at that time of course.
                    Last edited by flyguy; 19 March 2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post
                      RSAF repatriation flights.
                      Why RSAF don’t use their own A330 MRTT ? Tot can take 266 paxes.

Comment

• Australia bans all non-citizen and non-resident entry from Friday night.
                        SQ flights to Australia will be further adjusted for sure.
                        F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
                          Australia bans all non-citizen and non-resident entry from Friday night.
                          I wonder whether will it mean that all foreign air crews need to do a tunaround?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
                            Australia bans all non-citizen and non-resident entry from Friday night.
                            New Zealand too have announced a similar move, however, NZ’s restriction takes effect from 23:59 hours tonight!

Comment

I agree with Trent1000. I have personally enjoyed most of the postings here, gained a lot of useful insights and have tried to contribute where I can. It's unfortunate that some posts are plain sarcastic and rude and smacks of disrespect of other people's opinions. We can disagree but let's remove the sarcasm and not hide under the guise of "don't take things personally".

Comment

I would agree with you if it would have been phrased as a question. But it was rather phrased as being a matter of fact.

I think we could all agree that SQ may have their own reasons why they deploy certain aircraft to certain destinations and they may not be purely commercial during this difficult times.

I think that most of us would also agree that the 77W deployed to PEK or PVG are most likely too big for the passenger demand.

Comment

Working...
                                X