Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
    SQ finally updated the waiver/cancellation for Korea n Italy flights. Plus change fee waiver for Japan

Very soon, they might need to add fee waiver for Germany, France Spain n USA?
    Or emulate Cathay Pacific, to be applied for all flights.

Comment

Don’t think this is the reason. The 777-200 will be gone soon. A330 are going off as well. So guess the crews have already undergo training for other plane types.

Guess they just dont want to change the plane types to avoid having to change the seat selections. (So as to concentrate on dealing with the rebooking).
      They are not gone yet. They still need to keep the crews current whilst they are in the fleet. Otherwise they will endup with aircraft they can't fly when they need them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
        Or emulate Cathay Pacific, to be applied for all flights.
        CX waiver only apply to/from HKG. Transit flights via HKG are not included.

Comment

Even SQ856/861 are using 773 this month. They should just use the fuel efficient A350 instead.

Seem like the 772ER n A330 are still flying as well. 4x773 is also flying. Guess SQ are just rotating the fleets instead of storing entirely.
          Would it be using the old aircrafts can save the engine maintenance cost? As the new aircrafts are using the TotalCare Contract for the new Rolls Royce engines are charged on a fixed rate per flying hour basis.

The OnPoint for 77W and TrueChoice Flight Hour agreement for 77X from GE are also determine by flying hours as well.

Comment

• I noticed that SIN-MAN-IAH and SIN-EWR are 2 routes that have not had any cancellations announced. SIN-FRA-JFK also only has one flight cancelled in each direction.

Is it safe to say that those flights are doing fine even during this period? Or are the two flight via Europe sustained by bookings between Europe and USA?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
              I noticed that SIN-MAN-IAH and SIN-EWR are 2 routes that have not had any cancellations announced. SIN-FRA-JFK also only has one flight cancelled in each direction.

Is it safe to say that those flights are doing fine even during this period? Or are the two flight via Europe sustained by bookings between Europe and USA?
              Don’t think so. The demand on EWR flight have dropped a lot. Someone mention that for a certain flight in end feb, previous seat map is almost full but when on board ,more than 50% is empty. Even saver redemption is available for EWR flight which is very rare in the past.

As for IAH/JFK flight foresee more cancellation. Even BA have cancel flight between JFK n LHR

Comment

• Overall demand to US have fallen quite a bit and SQ will be cancelling some flights on certain days and reducing the frequencies all the way till May.

Comment

• My friend reported that today's (6MAR2020) SQ207 SIN/MEL is a FULL flight.

Comment

• More flight cancellations... unfortunately it is inevitable situation

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...llowing-travel

Comment

• My flight is cancelled SQ38 on 24 Mar, so I can get a full refund or change to 25 Mar, I opted to cancel but. To change the date to October 2020 is possible but i have to change / reroute to CGK-SIN-LAX (originally SRG-SIN-LAX) because MI will cease operation in Jun2020, no decicision yet as whethre y tix is valid for TR. To change to CGK-SIN-LAX, I must pay though, about SGD375.

I check the website , for Oct -Nov 2020, they offer Business Lite (I-class) form SGD300 cheaper than what I get for the full refund. So I decided to have a refund and purchase a new tix.

Comment

• deleted, wrong posting

Comment

• Originally posted by kevin-sg View Post
                          More flight cancellations... unfortunately it is inevitable situation

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...llowing-travel
                          This will unfortunately get a lot worse before it gets better. I had a chat with some SQ folk a couple of weeks ago and at that point forward bookings on a number of routes had fallen off a cliff, and it's got a lot worse since then. They have just effectively locked down around 16 million people and large chunks of Northern Italy.

Comment

• According to Mainlymiles, Over 23% of Singapore Airlines flights for March 2020 have been cut, as cancellations jump to 5,300 over the next three months. And this report only based on SIA and Silkair and SQ subsidiary Scoot is not reflected although Scoot seems more affected as it has the most China cities.

Comment

• Perhaps the only "good" thing is that oil prices yesterday have dropped almost 30% to below $40 and SIA should start buying its near future av fuel and hedge the av fuel price for at least the next 6 months till end of the year or even to next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                                Perhaps the only "good" thing is that oil prices yesterday have dropped almost 30% to below $40 and SIA should start buying its near future av fuel and hedge the av fuel price for at least the next 6 months till end of the year or even to next year.
                                They have big hedge position right now n up to 2024 as well.

So if they are able to hedge now at current price , at least their cost is not so high. But still foresee they will suffer loses in fuel hedging.

Comment

Working...
                                X