• Show
Clear All

Another Congratulations!
    I am glad to know SQ does love you.
    Keep flying!
    Happy travel...

Comment

Thanks SQ_LPP.

For the record, here is how I appealed.....

I argued that the system is a little inherently unfair as I had never qualified for EG before and was clocking my miles based on the 50K Elite Miles concept. While not disputing the fact that SQ is right to ask me clock based on the qualification period, I told her that if I was aware about it, I would have discarded my previously registered KrisFlyer account and restart.

I went on saying that especially considering that I had 0 Elite Miles and only around 5-6K miles from my KF Gold Card, I would have rather I thrown the account away and re-open another account and I would qualify anyway.

Anyway, I got to add that the lady on the line was extremely helpful, and certainly very very prompt. This certainly made me more loyal in patronising my National Airline. I love SQ.
      Life's A Bitch,
      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma/limbo currently. Here are the facts, fyi:

1. I registered as a KF member back in 2002/2003 but had never really been able to chalk up on miles since I predominantly flew Q and was thus not eligible for mileage accrual.
        2. I've started flying more this year and am currently ES.
        Here is my statement...
        Current Teir: Elite Silver
        Valid Until: 31 August 2009
        KF Current Balance: 41,234
        Current Elite Miles: 0

I must have started out before Jan 08 with like 5000 miles, but over the course of the months been doing a couple of SIN-SFO rounds, thus enabling me to hit the current 40k that i have.

A. Question/or predicament is, pretty much like what i've read, will i be eligible for EG when i do my next SFO-SIN mid September (approx. 9k miles), bringing me past the 50k-point?

I'm inclined to think since i am an existing/old member, i will need another 50K elite miles (of which i currently have none!)...

B. Wondering if i'll be able to appeal to SQ for a show of some good ol' SQ love so that I will be able to attain EG by the end of my next SFO-SIN in Sept (or at least when I do SIN-SFO-SIN again later in October) since all but the initial 5k miles would have been earned through this year (since Jan 08)?

Thanks for all your feedback on this thread. i've been following it and have found it very valuable. I find myself currently in a similar position as INIX in that perhaps I shoulve just discarded my old account, gotten myself a new one and achieve EG without the extra 25k elite miles i now require...

Comment

you have to accumulate 50k ELITE miles to qualify as EG. your account balance reflects it as zero, so my guess is that you've hit the unfortunate tier qualification and cancel formula.

As you are an "old" KF member, to hit EG status, you have to fly a separate 50k miles from now till 31 Aug 2009, i.e. a total of 75000 miles (25k + 50k) in a maximum of 2 qualification years.

hope this helps

Originally posted by sqlove View Post
          Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma/limbo currently. Here are the facts, fyi:

Current Teir: Elite Silver
          Valid Until: 31 August 2009
          KF Current Balance: 41,234
          Current Elite Miles: 0

I must have started out before Jan 08 with like 5000 miles, but over the course of the months been doing a couple of SIN-SFO rounds, thus enabling me to hit the current 40k that i have.

A. Question/or predicament is, pretty much like what i've read, will i be eligible for EG when i do my next SFO-SIN mid September (approx. 9k miles), bringing me past the 50k-point?

I'm inclined to think since i am an existing/old member, i will need another 50K elite miles (of which i currently have none!)...

B. Wondering if i'll be able to appeal to SQ for a show of some good ol' SQ love so that I will be able to attain EG by the end of my next SFO-SIN in Sept (or at least when I do SIN-SFO-SIN again later in October) since all but the initial 5k miles would have been earned through this year (since Jan 08)?

Thanks for all your feedback on this thread. i've been following it and have found it very valuable. I find myself currently in a similar position as INIX in that perhaps I shoulve just discarded my old account, gotten myself a new one and achieve EG without the extra 25k elite miles i now require...

Comment

oh man... what upsetting news
            but thanks for that really quick reply!
            i guess thats the hard fact and whats even more biting is that the truth always hurts! perhaps i shouldve just created a new account and have the miles credited into the new one.

Comment

As kelvgoh said, you currently have 0 elite miles (used for KF Elite Silver & KF Elite Gold calculations), so you will need at least 50,000 - more likely 75,000 elite miles to get KF *G.
              matt_will_fix_it

Comment

*sigh* thats just too bad... no sq love for me then...

Comment

*sigh* thats just too bad... no sq love for me then...
                  sqlove, FWIW, I disagree with the answers you were given. The same rules apply to members who have no elite status and begin their membership years, as for new members who start from scratch: for the system, they are at the same starting point (no elite miles, blue status). Only 50,000 elite miles are needed for EG status for that (12-month) membership year.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hi JJPB3, thanks for sharing. So does that mean I need 50k more elite miles, or 25k?
                    of which I currently have none. I dont know though, if prior to my hitting silver, I had any elite miles or not? how do you suppose i can check? if what you're saying works out, then does that mean I need only 25k elite miles to hit EG? I guess i will have a clearer picture by Oct after I do SFO-SIN, and another SIN-SFO-SIN; thereafter I will call KF to enquire about my status.
                    Thanks.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    sqlove, FWIW, I disagree with the answers you were given. The same rules apply to members who have no elite status and begin their membership years, as for new members who start from scratch: for the system, they are at the same starting point (no elite miles, blue status). Only 50,000 elite miles are needed for EG status for that (12-month) membership year.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      I disagree... at http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...ld.jsp#Header1 it says

Your membership year will be the 12-month period from the date of your enrolment as a KrisFlyer member or upgrade to KrisFlyer Elite Silver status. During this time, you may qualify for KrisFlyer Elite Gold status by earning the required number of Elite miles.
                      The way I interpret it, if you're already a KF member for more than 12 months you must get Elite Silver (25,000 elite miles) at which point your elite miles reset to 0. You then have 12 months to accumulate 50,000 miles to achieve Elite Gold, so 75,000 in total.

However if you're a new Krisflyer member you need 50,000 miles within the first 12 month period of signing up to reach Elite Gold.
                      Last edited by matt_will_fix_it; 31 August 2008, 07:07 PM.
                      matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                        The way I interpret it, if you're already a KF member for more than 12 months you must get Elite Silver (25,000 elite miles) at which point your elite miles reset to 0. You then have 12 months to accumulate 50,000 miles to achieve Elite Gold, so 75,000 in total.

However if you're a new Krisflyer member you need 50,000 miles within the first 12 month period of signing up to reach Elite Gold.
                        Nope...50k needed for EG qualification in a qualification period (of a year), regardless of whether u are a new member or not. If u happen to hit ES already within that year, then, only 25k needed in the remaining qualification period is needed. I did this last year and a simple email/phone-call to the KF will fix that "glitch".

I was a regular member back in 2006 when the qualification clock began on April 1 (if I was not wrong). I did a HKG-SFO-HKG and several HKG-SIN-HKG hops that landed me ES by mid-October. At the end of the year, I did HKG-ORD-HKG (on UA) which pushed me to the EG qualification. It was not automatic and therefore, I sent an email to KF to clarify the situation. Thankfully, they did and sent me the EG card pretty quickly.

Comment

Oh God I sure hope youre right! Keeping my fingers crossed now! Will update you guys soon after Sept! Hope all goes well... thanks for the tip. will call KF after i clock another 25k and see what happens!

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                          Nope...50k needed for EG qualification in a qualification period (of a year), regardless of whether u are a new member or not. If u happen to hit ES already within that year, then, only 25k needed in the remaining qualification period is needed. I did this last year and a simple email/phone-call to the KF will fix that "glitch".

I was a regular member back in 2006 when the qualification clock began on April 1 (if I was not wrong). I did a HKG-SFO-HKG and several HKG-SIN-HKG hops that landed me ES by mid-October. At the end of the year, I did HKG-ORD-HKG (on UA) which pushed me to the EG qualification. It was not automatic and therefore, I sent an email to KF to clarify the situation. Thankfully, they did and sent me the EG card pretty quickly.

Comment

Hi JJPB3, thanks for sharing. So does that mean I need 50k more elite miles, or 25k?
                            of which I currently have none. I dont know though, if prior to my hitting silver, I had any elite miles or not? how do you suppose i can check? if what you're saying works out, then does that mean I need only 25k elite miles to hit EG? I guess i will have a clearer picture by Oct after I do SFO-SIN, and another SIN-SFO-SIN; thereafter I will call KF to enquire about my status.
                            Thanks.
                            You had to have had elite miles before hitting ES (at least 25,000 of them ). The least generous scenario has you hitting ES on the outbound leg of your second SIN-SFO-SIN trip (I assume by 'a couple', you meant at least two in post #78).

If YK@HKG's experience is a good indicator of how the EG counter works, you should get EG by October.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                              While you did get Elite Gold, I think you were lucky that they bent the rules for you. Its not the rule of thumb. The official rule is if your account is 12+ months old with no status you need 25,000 to reach silver then another 50,000 to reach gold. Many people I know have had to get 75,000 miles to get Elite Gold.
                              matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                                While you did get Elite Gold, I think you were lucky that they bent the rules for you. Its not the rule of thumb. The official rule is if your account is 12+ months old with no status you need 25,000 to reach silver then another 50,000 to reach gold. Many people I know have had to get 75,000 miles to get Elite Gold.
                                Would you check again about this please... I never had any first hand experience for this ES and EG status. But one of my cousins reached 25K, and got ES. Thus reset to zero. Then earned another 25K.. and kaboom... an EG status.

Perhaps in the case of your friends, the time span in getting 25K and the next 25K is almost 12 months. Been trying to create an example, but at the moment no time to do so. But please check with your friends, by the requalification period of when they got ES perhaps they did not reach 50K total. Thus, only still ES. Then suddenly they flew more, and got 50K. And this made them thinking that they need 75K.

Let me rephrase it. January 2006 they had 25K. ES... They travel again and in December 2006, they traveled 20K. Thus short from 50K.
                                February 2007 had 5K additional.... Then June 2007 flew 25K. And yes, it's EG. So it felt like your friend needed 75K. But actually, it was not.
                                After hitting the ES 25K, if that 5K in Feb 2007 was flown in January, your friend had accumulated 50K, thus EG.

And now the computer sees that your friend had 20K in Dec 2006, and 5K in Feb 27. In addition, June 2007 had 25K for total 50K. Therefore, EG.

I may be wrong, but hope you got the idea how it works.

Happy flying!

Comment

Working...
                                X