X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMEX Krisflyer Ascend Credit Card

http://www.americanexpress.com/sg/kr...ode=V3HAXX2XV1

thoughts: useless.

The sign up bonus of 5k miles is attractive, but the earn rate ($1=0.8 miles) is pathetic. Citipremiermiles offers $1=1.2 miles, ANZ travel is $1=1.4 miles, DBS Altitude and UOB PRVImiles is $1=1.6 miles.

Even the accelerator concept is pretty useless. Spend $1k and THEN you get 300 bonus miles for every additional $500 you spend. So I need to spend $1.5k to get a bonus of 300 miles, so total miles= 1,500*0.8+300= 1,500 miles, so $1 for 1 mile, ONLY IF you spend >$1,500 and even then only when you hit a discrete $500 interval post $1.5k.

The 2x miles bonus is capped at 10k miles and is only valid for 3 months, and even then is only done in blocks of $6 purchases. Ie $30 and $35 spends will earn the same amount of miles (unless you hit $36).

Well, at least it looks nice.

1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1.20 => $1 = 0.83 mile, => 2.083x only based on $2.50/mile.

Anyway, if you pay the annual fee S$256.80 (incl. of GST), you get extra:
    · 5x KrisFlyer miles* on all eligible purchases made in the first 3 months, up to a cap of 25,000 bonus miles.

· Spend S$6,000 within the first 12 months of application approval and you may also receive a Samsonite Colory 57/20” Luggage*

Any applicants of the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card who pay the full annual fee of S$256.80 (inclusive of GST) may enjoy an alternative sign-up offer. For details, contact us at 6291 2640.

My opinion on this card: Apply before 31 July online get first year free & the bonus 5000 miles. Use only for first 3 months. After that can collect dust in the drawer.

"DBS Altitude and UOB PRVImiles is $1=1.6 miles." This is assuming that all your transactions in 1 statement are in multiples of exact S$5. On actual fact, you do not earn that rate. It is always lower than 1.6mile/S$1 and can be as low as 0.8008mile/S$1 for S$9.99, based on number of transactions and rounded down from $0.01 to $4.99.

For DBS Altitude, the correct wording should be: Earn 6 miles for every S$5 spent. Earn 8 miles for every S$5 spent above S$2000 per month from S$2005 onwards.
    For UOB PRVI miles, the correct wording should be: Earn 8 miles for every S$5 spent.
    Last edited by vsepr; 17 April 2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

what about those who already have existing KF gold card? No 5000 bonus miles right?

Comment

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
        1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1.20 => $1 = 0.83 mile, => 2.083x only based on $2.50/mile.

Anyway, if you pay the annual fee S$256.80 (incl. of GST), you get extra:
        · 5x KrisFlyer miles* on all eligible purchases made in the first 3 months, up to a cap of 25,000 bonus miles.

· Spend S$6,000 within the first 12 months of application approval and you may also receive a Samsonite Colory 57/20” Luggage*

Any applicants of the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card who pay the full annual fee of S$256.80 (inclusive of GST) may enjoy an alternative sign-up offer. For details, contact us at 6291 2640.

My opinion on this card: Apply before 31 July online get first year free & the bonus 5000 miles. Use only for first 3 months. After that can collect dust in the drawer.

"DBS Altitude and UOB PRVImiles is $1=1.6 miles." This is assuming that all your transactions in 1 statement are in multiples of exact S$5. On actual fact, you do not earn that rate. It is always lower than 1.6mile/S$1 and can be as low as 0.8008mile/S$1 for S$9.99, based on number of transactions and rounded down from $0.01 to $4.99.

For DBS Altitude, the correct wording should be: Earn 6 miles for every S$5 spent. Earn 8 miles for every S$5 spent above S$2000 per month from S$2005 onwards.
        For UOB PRVI miles, the correct wording should be: Earn 8 miles for every S$5 spent.
        yup, my bad. oversimplified the altitude and prvi miles earning style. agree with the sign up and forget about it.

Comment

Agree, useless. What a squandered opportunity by Amex to come out with a new "hot" card. I do admit to still having the old KF Amex Gold (not used much though) and the age old 50% + 50% bonus still beats the 1.2$ per mile. What a joke.

Comment

New look, same smell...

Comment

OCBC

I saw an advertising on a taxi last week for an OCBC card (can't recall the name) that gives 2.5miles/$ both in Singapore and abroad, while the PRVI UOB only gives 2.5 abroad... That said, I have the Altitude and since 2 months the PRVI, that's enough my wallet is about to burst !

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                I saw an advertising on a taxi last week for an OCBC card (can't recall the name) that gives 2.5miles/$ both in Singapore and abroad, while the PRVI UOB only gives 2.5 abroad... That said, I have the Altitude and since 2 months the PRVI, that's enough my wallet is about to burst !
                This is Titanium card. 2.5 miles/$ earning in local is limited to some nightspots, and need to spend at least 1.5k per month..
                "Enjoy 2.5 air miles for every dollar spent overseas and at local nightspots such as Mink, Royal Room, The Butter Factory, Pump Room and Timbre and 1.2 air miles for every dollar spent elsewhere - simply with a total minimum spend of S$1,500 a month. Even if you don't, you’ll still get to earn 3x OCBC$ for your overseas spend and 1x OCBC$ for your other spend."

Comment

There are 2 parts to the 2.5miles/$ earned: The usual OCBC$ and Titanium Bonus Miles. Titanium Bonus Miles can only be converted in blocks of 5,000 miles.
                  OCBC$ can be used to redeem rebates, vouchers and any other redemption items in the rewards catalogue. Bonus miles can be redeemed for air miles only.
                  For each conversion of OCBC$ to KrisFlyer miles, a fee of 2,300 OCBC$ will be charged to and deducted from the relevant Card Account. A Cardmember who is enrolled in the KrisFlyer Programme can effect mile transfers at the conversion rate of 2,500 OCBC$ for 1,000 KrisFlyer miles.

Minimum spending of S$1500 in a calender month, must wait for the Titanium Bonus Miles to reach in blocks of 5,000 miles to transfer and 2 kinds of points to transfer, too complicated. Not a good card.
                  Last edited by vsepr; 26 April 2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

http://www.americanexpress.com/sg/kr...ode=V3HAXX2XV1

Here is how the 2x KrisFlyer miles promotion for the first 3 months works:

The bonus KrisFlyer mile will be credited on the basis of 5 bonus KrisFlyer miles for every full block of S$6 in eligible purchases and is accumulative. It will be awarded once the charge is posted and the accumulative spend reaches a full block of S$6.
                    I done 2 transactions:
                    $3.20, awarded 3 miles. No bonus miles awarded at this stage. Miles balance is 3.(3.2/1.2=2.67, round up to 3 miles)
                    $6.80, awarded 6 miles. (6.8/1.2=5.67, round up to 6 miles)
                    Total 9 miles.
                    Accumulated $10, gives 1 block of 5 bonus miles, hence miles balance is 14.
                    If I charge another $2, another 1 block of 5 bonus miles will be given and so on......

Comment

AMEX made the first miles transfer from my KrisFlyer Ascend card on 18 May 2013. Really don't have the 5,000 bonus miles if you hold other KrisFlyer AMEX cards in the past. I had 2 KrisFlyer Gold cards, last one cancelled in 2010.

18 May 2013 American Express Cobrand - Singapore AMEX MILES TRANSFER 0009042542 165 miles

Comment

I logged in to my KrisFlyer account again this morning and saw this: 18 May 2013 AMERICAN EXPRESS COBRAND (SQCB) Bonus Miles - First Card Spend 5000 miles WOOHOOO!!! =)))) given the next day!!

Comment

Haha, looks like I know what I'm cancelling...

Comment

Yes, not even the Palate membership thrown in. Saving grace is design (and even that is subjective!)
                            drink Coke...save water

Comment

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
                              I logged in to my KrisFlyer account again this morning and saw this: 18 May 2013 AMERICAN EXPRESS COBRAND (SQCB) Bonus Miles - First Card Spend 5000 miles WOOHOOO!!! =)))) given the next day!!

heh i just signed up for 2x Chase cards here last month in the US (w/o a SS too) and i have about 100k United + VA miles in my account already.

can't go back to earning a paltry 5k miles with SG cards again

Comment

Working...
                              X