Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill

Introduction

I was in London recently and did a mattress run at this hotel and Andaz Liverpool Street.

I report Hyatt Regency Churchill here ( being too lazy to write a full TR till year end trip to Hokkaido )

This hotel was made famous by Michael Jackson when he dangled his baby out the balcony. At the time, it was just The Churchill.

The Front overlooks Portman Square

I took this picture of the lobby ( on the right as I step out of the lift ) when I checked out the next morning at 7am

To my left is the restaurant where breakfast was being served

The floor plan. I requested and got a quiet room away from traffic ( where the blue dot is )

Room 23 to 46 face greenery of Portman Square. And the main road...

5th Floor lift lobby. This must be the grandest in the world. It is huge!

Corridor leading to my room.

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 20 October 2010, 09:02 PM.

I don't find Hyatt rooms very big but they tend to be well appointed.

Free WI Fi was fastest I've ever experienced. I know now why my London friends complain about Singapore Wi Fi being slow

View from the desk. The mattress is the softest Hyatt mattress. Almost as soft as W Hong Kong.

The bathroom is generic but everything works fine.

The shower ( seen in the mirror ) has really good pressure. It almost hurts!

Conclusions

Very nice hotel in a good location.

As Selfridges Food Hall is a short walk away, I didn't try the hotel F&B.

The staff are very friendly and efficient.

Jet lagged, I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign up so didn't get my Welcome gift.

The rooms look brand new but I was told they were about to be renovated for the 2012 Olympics!!

Will definitely be back..
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 19 October 2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Your room looks exactly the same as the one my friend stayed in! We had breakfast at the hotel and you could get certain items cooked to order, e.g. eggs, etc.

Will you be doing a review of the Andaz? Have never been to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        Will you be doing a review of the Andaz? Have never been to visit.
        Maybe not the hotel but you've certainly been to the restaurants in Terence Conran's Great Eastern Hotel (now the Andaz) when it opened in 2000, e.g. the fine dining restaurant, Aurora (now called 1901); Fishmarket (now called Catch); and the Japanese restaurant, Miyabi (now called Miyako)!

Comment

I absolutely love this hotel.

I had low expectations the first time i stayed here as we are often 'spoiled' at hotels in asia. This is now probably one of my favourite hotels to stay in worldwide.

The service is impeccable and i usually email in advance with a few additional requests and they are accommodated without any issue.

Well worth using a suite upgrade here.

Only downside is that the club lounge can get very crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamiegutz View Post
            Well worth using a suite upgrade here.

Only downside is that the club lounge can get very crowded.
            Yep, I agree with both of these. I think the small size of the standard rooms means using a suite upgrade is imorprtant.

They really need to sort the lounge issue out. Although it can work in your favour as we met up with some other SQTalkers last Christmas for a drink and as there was 8 in our party, which they had no chance of accomodation in the lounge, they gave us vouchers to use in the bar downstairs.

Comment

My request when I book a room is always that it has to be the quietest room available. More important than Suite for me!

Something I picked up after being woken up in the middle of the night by traffic noise in NYC.

The lobby was buzzing at Churchill.

Andaz next....

Comment

Stayed there twice during the past year and were very happy with the rooms, service, and location (one block away from Selfridges etc). The Regency Suites on level 9 facing the park are very nice as they each come with a balcony. Even though the rooms are not biggest or luxurious around, they are very comfortable.

Comment

9V-SIA, I hope you don't mind me adding some pictures to your thread.

Regency Suite (Park View)

Executive Suite

Apologies for the mess as I didn't get the chance to take a picture before the bellperson came up with the bags.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    9V-SIA, I hope you don't mind me adding some pictures to your thread.
                    Not at all.

I hope people will share their experience, any thread will do!

Suites look very nice! Can you hear the traffic?

My pet peeve is ambulance/police sirens at 3am in the morning. Surely traffic is light enough at that time of the morning...

Comment

The Executive Suite I stayed in faced the inside of the building. No noise whatsoever as I recall.
                      As for the Regency Suite, I'm sure you will hear ambulance/police sirens from the room. But general traffic noise was very minimal, if any -- as my room was high enough from the traffic.

Comment

Apologies for the mess as I didn't get the chance to take a picture before the bellperson came up with the bags.
                        CLASSIC StarG Luggage Shot!
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          Eh? Only two check in bags in the picture! Hardly StarG classic!

Comment

Eh? Only two check in bags in the picture! Hardly StarG classic!
                            I thought it was four... Kinda hard to make them out.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              +1 - StarG on his way to a Tumi convention

Comment

Working...
                              X