Summer trip 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    - They ran out of my choice of breakfast (omelette)
    Believe me, when you've seen how its made, you didn't miss a thing

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      Believe me, when you've seen how its made, you didn't miss a thing
      That sounds scary !

Can you elaborate, 9V-JKL, I believe they just warm it up in the galley,right ?

<upright>
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
        That sounds scary !

<upright>
        Oh yeah - I've seen my friends on BA try to make up a shortfall in catering by adding milk and milk powder to the scrambled eggs... They said they'd rather do this than risk thousands of cranky pax.

I believe eggs on the plane are sometimes made artificially using some powder?

That said, I still like my hot plane brekkies.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
          That sounds scary !

<upright>
          Its not in the galley that turns me off. Its where its made. Liquid egg flows from a 'device' onto a frying pan and the chefs add the 'internals' and rolls it into your omelette. Its not scary just that I don't like it

Comment

Its not in the galley that turns me off. Its where its made. Liquid egg flows from a 'device' onto a frying pan and the chefs add the 'internals' and rolls it into your omelette. Its not scary just that I don't like it
            Hmm... 'World Gourmet Cuisine' (as per menu)....?! I'd hate to see how they prepare non-gourmet food!
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

well, as long as its hygienically prepared and served hot, its ok with me,

J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Didn't manage to take pics of the hotels in Japan so I'd just provide brief summaries:

- Westin Miyako Kyoto: Great service generally, with very knowledgeable staff. Was upgraded to Club level. The room air conditioning was wonky - always either too hot or too cold. Breakfast in the club lounge wasn't very appetising but we also received free breakfast vouchers for the buffet breakfast downstairs which was quite nice. The Heavenly Bed felt a little hard though. Location was a little far from the downtown shopping/entertainment districts but quite near to sites of interest.

- Westin Osaka: Bed bugs on my parents' bed. A complaint yielded 3000 Starpoints. We were also upgraded to Club level and given free brekkie vouchers. Elle Bache amenities in the rather opulent bathroom. Good location near Umeda City with its very nice restaurants. 10 mins free shuttle bus ride to the major shopping areas.

- InterContinental Tokyo Bay: Upgraded to a very nice King bed suite. Service was okay, but the concierge staff seemed rather inexperienced. This hotel is located next to a subway station which meant it was easy to go anywhere, although it was a little confusing at first as the hotel-supplied subway map was outdated. It was less than 20 mins to get to places like Roppongi, Ginza, Shinjuku, Shibuya and Akihabara (Electronic City).

A theme that was common to all 3 hotels - very 80s style decor.

Random pics of Japan:

Drinking Sam Adams, in an Irish bar, with friends from Philly - oh how sad! We adjourned to the Shinjuku area in the later part of the evening/morning of course...

Shibuya!!! Tokyo's Times Square.

Riding the Shinkansen

Geothermal activity

Ooh a sumurai

Electronic City - got my Ipod Nano (4G) there for AUD240

A pagoda in Kyoto - it's plated with real gold!
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 March 2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

SQ637 NRT-SIN 22nd Feb 2007
                  Seat - 32H
                  Aircraft - 744
                  ETD - 1100

We took the Narita airport shuttle which picked us up at the IC. The ride was approximately 90 mins, give or take. It was an affordable and convenient way to get to the airport.

After locating the SQ check in row, we turned up at an empty Raffles Class/*G check in line. NRT is a so-called *A integrated hub and all ground handling was performed by NH. Check in took a while as the computer systems were new, and printed 6 of the most naked BPs I've ever seen. No FFP info, no origin info for the SIN-MEL BPs. I could've printed more credible ones with the OLCI. Bags were tagged all the way to MEL. After being assured that the FFP info was locked in, we made our way to a fairly quiet passport control.

We had lounge invitations to the NH C lounge which was around the corner from the gates SQ uses at NRT. I'd organised to meet CGK (SQTalk) at the NH F lounge, and was let in without a word after I identified to the lounge receptionists who my host was going to be. The NH F lounge had a very new feel to it, and had lounge staff bringing up drinks and snacks to guests. Food selection was pretty good. Wine selection was pretty interesting - my first time tasting a Japanese pinot noir, an experience I'd rather not remember nor repeat.

Onboard service was excellent as the way it should be when flying SQ. My parents and I enjoyed seats 32HJK for the extra space and privacy. As the aisle seat is my seat of choice, I had 32H which had slightly more legroom than the other 2 seats due to the positioning of the bulkhead. The experience was thoroughly enhanced by CGK, who was flying in Raffles, choosing that flight to go on diet and arranging for the FAs to serve me his excellent Hayogonomi (sp?) meal! Bless ya, mate! Fauchon (vanilla or earl grey flavours) ice cream was also served.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 March 2007, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Legroom in 32H

My partially eaten Hayogonomi (sp?) meal.

The Raffles crew could only serve me the meal from Raffles after they've finished serving Raffles pax and as I was too hungry to wait - I nibbled on the Japanese option served in Economy. It was very good in both quantity and quality, and in fact now ranks as the best meal I've ever had in Y!

Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 March 2007, 09:44 PM.

Comment

THE FINALE

SQ227 SIN-MEL, 22nd FEB 07
                      Seat - 54F
                      Aircraft - 744
                      ETD - 2100

We'd initially been allocated an emex row, however this meant that the person by the window had zero legroom due to the exit slide. We could not get rows 31 or 32 as they'd already been allocated. Instead, we were allocated seats 54DEF, a bulkhead row with ok legroom. The whole point of the bulkhead is of course - the distinct lack of a reclining seat crushing into us. My agreement with Dad meant that I would be stuck in the middle on this flight. I had a pleasant surprise onboard as my seatmate in 54G was none other than a friend who I haven't had the opportunity to catch up with ever since the Victorian state elections when we worked on a local campaign together.

SQ227 is my least favourite flight out of the 3 SIN-MEL dailies if flying in economy. Not only is it operated by a 744 with cramped seating in economy (compared to the 773), the flight arrives at MEL at the wee hours of 7am in the morning. Not only will immigration and customs be crowded then due to the presence of 2 other arrivals from Asia, but Tullamarine freeway can be choked at that time of the morning.

This flight featured the Chinese New Year menu. For some reason I found the menu pretty amusing - it was like someone wrote it using a thesaurus while knocking back a bottle of tequila.

The appetiser was pretty delicious, although I didn't touch the sauce that it came with as I'm told it's sweet and I didn't particularly want something sweet as an appetiser. I had the chicken for my main course which was yummy. The ice cream was chocolate flavoured and came with a cone.

The crew on this flight showed SQ at its best. No request was ever too difficult to fulfil. For example, they actually remembered not to disturb Dad during the breakfast service as he'd previously indicated that he'd rather have an uninterrupted sleep. An FA actually asked him if he'd like something to munch on when he woke up and came up with a muffin and coffee. You'd think this would only happen in the premium cabins or to a PPS member!

It's been a long day so I fell asleep after watching 'The Queen' and knocking back some red wines and Singapore Slings.

It seems like no time had passed by when the cabin lights came on for the breakfast service.

The continental breakfast is identical on every SQ flight I'd been on. They're typically served on flights under 12 hours when breakfast isn't the main meal service. It's not the most terribly exciting meal - rather uninspiring in fact. The muffins were rather dry. I had copious amounts of coffee instead.

We landed in Tullamarine airport ahead of the scheduled arrival time, ready to tackle the horror of a 7am arrival - 9 mile long lines everywhere. We only arrived at my parents' hotel in the city at 0935!

And that, my dearies, brings us to the end of 'Summer Trip 2.'
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 23 March 2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        Besides the very nice seat (aisle seat, emergency exit row), this flight was to go down as my first (hopefully last) less than stellar experience with SQ:
                        - 90 mins tech delay occurred with very scant information as to what was really happening. I only found out that there was an issue with the flight's computer systems when I made an inquiry with the gate agents after the third PA announcement detailing the fresh time of expected departure with little in the way of explanation
                        Re-read your summer adventures again

Indeed...I experienced a similar thing during my MI flight to SUB in early Feb. Flight was delayed (first time for SQ/MI flights) for at least 60 mins, a computer glitch according to the FAs

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                          Re-read your summer adventures again
                          Glad they were worth a second read...

Comment

Working...
                          X