Super Gigantic 50: Y SIN-HKG on the SG50 Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Gigantic 50: Y SIN-HKG on the SG50 Plane

Hello everyone, it’s been really too long since my previous report and I sincerely apologize for this long absence. A quick update on what’s going on right now in life, I finished my A levels last year in November! Gone are the stressful nights of studying and mugging, and I’m currently awaiting enlistment into the army in 2 months :/ Quite nervous so shall see how it goes.

This trip was made in January when my buddy and I chose Hong Kong. I’ve known this great friend for 5 years and this trip was sort of a reward for finishing JC and to just hang and chill together. On previous trips, I was always with my parents or with the school teachers. This time, we were completely free and easy! Loved this sense of adventure and though apprehensive at first, I thoroughly looked forward to this significant trip of a lifetime.

Anyway back to the trip. 2 days before the flight, I tried to select a pair of window seats on the upper deck of the 380. To my surprise (horror actually), all pairs of window seats were snagged and there were only the middle seats on the last row available. A quick call to the SIA office revealed that it was indeed a full flight and that many had selected their seats beforehand. I’ve learnt that we could just call the SIA office way before any booked flight to reserve our preferred seats, and we didn’t need to wait till 48 hours before departure.

However, the last row of middle seats were a pair, so it was just nice for my buddy and I.

Pre-Trip

Got an Uber to the airport early at 6am and it was smooth and hassle-free. Met my buddy and we checked in together.

One thing I didn’t like about the check-in process for economy was that we had to check in through the self-check in kiosks. This meant that I had to get the flimsy and fragile paper boarding pass, and I didn't fancy it cuz I collect boarding passes and I knew for sure that this would end up torn and tattered. Tried my luck at the bag drop counters, and I asked the staff kindly for a hard paper boarding pass. To my surprise, it was actually allowed and I happily received the hard paper pass! So far, so good!

Got through immigration and it’s always a breeze with the fingerprint scanners here at Changi.

Went over to the butterfly garden to get a few shots on the tarmac but the view there wasn’t good at all.

So my buddy and I went over to the cactus garden at T1 where there were supposedly better views of the tarmac.

Still not really good, but the views were much better than T3’s butterfly garden.

Not long later, it was time to board and we headed back to T3 to our gate, B5. As we got to the gate, I realized this flight would be an extremely special one. I didn't spot the usual blue, orange and golden livery, but the plane parked at B5 sported a loud red banner across its fuselage, the SG50 Livery! I’ve wanted to get on this big boy ever since the livery was announced and boy was I lucky today! To those who may not be familiar, SG50 stands for Singapore 50. In 2015, Singapore celebrated its 50th year of independence and 2 SQ A380s were painted in the SG50 livery in commemoration of Singapore 50th birthday. What a timely reminder that army is approaching as well haha.

This plane parked beside ours was headed for Tokyo Haneda. It carries the latest generation of cabin products on SQ and I’m still wondering when will be my first time trying out these latest seats.

Another shot of our ride

Getting closer!

Once again I was in awe at the size of the superjumbo. So big, yet so quiet. This jet epitomizes commercial aviation at its best.

In-Flight

SQ860
    A380-800
    9V-SKI

Boarded and the lovely stewardess that would be serving us later, upon seeing my buddy’s boarding pass, remarked that we had the best seats of the cabin. This would set the tone for a lovely Singapore experience.

First impressions of the seat:

Pillows, blankets and earpiece were neatly placed on the seat. These were recently updated if I’m not wrong, and the blankets are IMO one of the best in any economy cabin. It was so soft and so smooth, and could keep warm really well.

IFE was already turned on and available for viewing.

I’ve heard so much about these SQ earpieces and was eager to try them out. I had no idea why people complained so much about the sound quality as I thought these earbuds seemed to be noise cancelling, so shouldn't it be good?

Turns out, I was so wrong. Tried playing a song from the music section and yes it clouded the ambient noise a bit, but the sound quality was close to atrocious, worse than the stereo headsets that was given out prior to this change. Bad!

Thereafter, turned on the In-flight map and just relaxed through the boarding process.

An amazing selection of drinks, and the breakfast choices for today.

Flight time was a short 3 hours and 8 minutes. Settled on Everest for after takeoff.

Soon, boarding was completed and we were on our way!

No window views sadly ☹
    Took off smoothly and turned north-east towards Hong Kong.

The crew came around with trays of orange juice and water, before serving breakfast.

Comment

Got the pork noodles with shrimp dumplings. To be honest, this was one of the best airplane meals I’ve ever had. The pork was full of flavor and the sauce was rich and action-packed. Shrimp dumplings were a bit on the dry side, but the sauce more than made up for it. Noodles were al dente and went so well with the pork. 5 Singapore stars for this meal.

After the meal and movie, I got up to explore the cabin, both on top and below.

Upper economy cabin

[IMG] http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...0/IMG_3640.jpg[.IMG]

It was a really full flight, didn't really spot any empty seats both on the upper deck and the main deck.

Got back to our seats, and since we are past 18, we wanted to try the Singapore Sling. We dinged the call button and the lovely stewardess came by quickly. We asked if we could try the Singapore Sling and she went “Have y’all passed 18 or not?” We laughed and said yes, then she jokingly said “Don't bluff me ah! Give me a moment, I’ll try to make it very good!”

It was probably one of her first times making the Sling, cuz when she came back with it she went “I hope it’s good, later tell me how it is ah.”

It was definitely not on the strong side, which I liked and I loved every single sip of it.

A while later, the stewardess came back and asked us how it was. We told her it was really good and I’m sure that made her day haha. We chatted as well, and noted how the cabin crew disliked the Hong Kong route the most as it was the longest turnaround flight of the entire network. 4 hours to Hong Kong, an hour’s plus rest in Hong Kong on the plane, then 4 hours back to Singapore. It was undoubtedly a huge ask for the crew to perform at their best for such a long duration, so thumbs up to this lovely crew member for being so positive and cheery on such a ‘sian’ flight!

We also found out that the Singapore Sling onboard came in a pre-packaged bottle that was mixed with the alcohol contents, and that the cabin crew only needed to pour pineapple juice into the red mixture in a cup and serve. This red mixture could be bought in duty free as well. Quite cool.

Soon, it was time for landing and we had to circle around a few times due to heavy traffic.

Made a rough landing, as is the case with every A380 flight. I wonder if this has got to do with the wheels as the 380 has so many on its main landing gear. Or is it the weight of the aircraft. I’ve never experienced a smooth landing ever before on the 380.
      Parked and said thanks to the crew. The lovely stewardess wished us a great stay in Hong Kong and we stepped into Hong Kong!

Huge wing

Took another look at the aircraft. Wondering when this livery will be replaced, it definitely is really special.

We had a blast in Hong Kong and this flight definitely set a great tone for what was to come. Singapore Airlines never fails to impress, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself on board. Great crew, great food, and comfortable seats. It’s such a rarity to find economy class providing pillows and blankets to every single passenger, placed on every single seat before boarding. Other airlines like Cathay only offer limited numbers and they are always given when asked by the passengers. Metal cutlery, delicious meal, and great IFE system. This for sure ranks as one of my best flights on SQ.

Recently, I’ve been into photography as well; my cover photo stands by this! If you’d like to see more of my travel photos, please check out my Instagram @mxximilian as the handle!

Till next time,
      Max

Comment

Thanks for the TR, Maxie773! An enjoyable read...

Those seats in the back of the A380 upper deck are my favourite too!

Comment

Working...
        X