SIN-HND-NRT-LAX on SQ 777 Economy and SQ A380 Business Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-HND-NRT-LAX on SQ 777 Economy and SQ A380 Business Class

Just back from a trip to Tokyo, Los Angeles and San Francisco!

Apart from flying our favourite airline, I indulged in several memorable Japanese meals, both on the ground and in the air, including the "Hanakoireki" Japanese dinner served in business class on SQ12 from NRT to LAX.

I took a few photos, not just of food and the aircraft cabin, but also of sights out the airplane window. And this time I had a proper camera with me, an Olympus E-P2, not just my usual partner-in-crime, an iPhone 6 Plus…

And just to add a human element to what would otherwise be an endless sequence of photos of meal trays, seat backs, and IFE boxes, I also managed to meet up briefly with SQflyergirl in the airside area of Narita Airport, on a rare occasion where date, time and place were in alignment…and very nearly out of alignment!

In Tokyo, I stayed at the Tokyo Marriott, and on the final day of a very short stay in Tokyo, I managed to fit in a run, along the streets of Shinagawa ward, from the Marriott to the Tokyo Tower, as well as a short visit to what must be one of the last great music stores in the world, Tower Records Tokyo, located in busy Shibuya.

Interested? Read on!
    Last edited by yflyer; 8 November 2015, 09:13 AM.

I had business meetings and presentations scheduled for Tokyo and San Francisco, and not LA. But as SQ does not fly direct between Tokyo and San Francisco, I made plans for a stopover in LA, which enabled me to fly mainly on Singapore Airlines for this trip, on a very reasonably priced economy class open-jaw itinerary: SIN-HND, NRT-LAX and then SFO-SIN via HKG. I used Krisflyer points to upgrade my NRT-LAX segment to business class.

For the one hour flight between LAX and SFO, I would buy a cheap, and separately ticketed, one-way ticket on AA, on this very competitive sector, where prices were rock bottom.

Rather than catch a connecting flight to SFO immediately upon arrival in LAX from NRT, I decided to spend a day or so in Los Angeles before heading to San Francisco. I've visited LA a couple of times in the past, but it is not a city I know well. It is always interesting to visit a less familiar city (and airport), not least an iconic airport like LAX, and as it turned out, it was a very pleasant stopover before continuing on to San Francisco.

Why SIN-HND for the initial sector, and not SIN-NRT on the A380? The Haneda-bound flight departed an hour earlier than SQ12, and the commuting time from HND to my hotel was 30 minutes, and not 2 hours from NRT – I would have an entire extra evening in Tokyo if I flew via HND, even if the equipment was an older refitted 777 and not an A380.
    Last edited by yflyer; 8 November 2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

This trip started at Changi T3 on a very hazy day in October.

No check-in lines to speak of that morning.

Christmas décor being put up.

Why this obsession in Singapore with winter-themed Christmas decorations?

An A-gate at the far end of T3 today.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Today’s flight SQ632 was operated was by 9V-SQJ, a 13 year old 777-200 series, with refitted 2-class interior.

We were on track for an on-time 8.05am departure, arriving in Haneda at 3.35pm.

I’ve always appreciated the fact that on most flights departing SIN, SQ usually has a full set of local and international newspapers by the aircraft door.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Regional J seats in the front cabin, laid out 2-2-2…

Y cabin in spacious 3-3-3 layout. Not the newest cabin product, but I am always grateful when I encounter a 777 laid out 9-abreast and not 10-abreast.

Row 31 bulkhead seats…

Middle bank of bulkhead seats, slightly offset from the window seats. There is a characteristic slot in the bulkhead wall that is open for take-offs and landings.

Last row of the first economy cabin – ample recline.

Second economy cabin. Note the row 44 Emex seats in pairs of 2, and the row 45 window-side aisle seat with no seat in front of it. Those are very desirable seats…

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Seat pitch and recline are good.

No obstructions under the A and B seats…

There is a large IFE box under the C, D and H, seats, however.

Another view of the seat fully reclined. Regular seats have large 4:3 format AVOD screens in the seat backs.

The IFE in the bulkhead row is a large 4:3 format pull-out screen.

IFE controller in the armrest.

Seat recline button, and a lumbar function (Unclear if the inflatable lumbar support is operating or not. The difference is not noticeable.)

Under the reholstered seats, there is still the outline of a plastic button that used to be there when the original blue seats were installed. These were intended to provide thigh support at the push of a button, but this feature never worked well even when the planes were new. Just as well they are covered up now.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Today’s menu…

I chose the Japanese selection.

A nice selection of fruit…

Main course of salmon, vegetables and rice, all delicately flavoured. A very refined and tasty dish.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

IFE…

This was full AVOD, with a smaller selection of entertainment options than on the 77W’s and A380’s, but the top hits were there.

Video quality was ok, better than VHS, worse than DVD. It was much less sharp than the newer widescreen products.

We flew over Manila enroute to Tokyo…

I headed to the emergency door and looked out the small window there…a glimpse of pristine blue beach was visible through the clouds…

Cabin ambience on this 777 was very good, with the 3-3-3 layout in Y contributing to a sense of spaciousness.

Comment

Towards the end of the flight, refreshments were served…

The menu…two choices of snack: hot shrimp and mango panini, or chicken satay wrap...

Savoury sandwich in a box…

Comment

As we approached Tokyo, the Captain announced that we would have good views of Mt Fuji on the left hand side of the airplane, and that would be in about 5 minutes time.

There was a murmur of excitement onboard…and a few pax (myself include) got our cameras out and headed to the left side windows and doors. As my seat was an aisle seat, I headed to the rear door to take a look.

Flight Map…

Some folks just used their iPhones, but more than a few DSLRs were also used to take photos…

A large and unmistakeable mountain could be seen in the distance.

Unlike the snow-capped photos commonly seen, Mt Fuji spends a part of the year without snow on its peak.

I hadn’t realized this, as most photos of Mt Fuji show it with a snowy peak.

It was now Autumn, and snow would come soon. Today, though, Mt Fuji was without its characteristic white top…

Still, it was an impressive sight, dominating the view from miles around…

Comment

Soon after, the seatbelt signs came on, and the aircraft was prepared for arrival…

Descent into Haneda, with great views of Tokyo Bay…

Parked at the gate…

Clearing immigration at Haneda was a fairly rapid process.
                      Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Although Haneda is close to central Tokyo, and the taxi fare would not have been prohibitive, I decided to use the famed Japan Rail commuter train service to get to my hotel in Tokyo, which was the Tokyo Marriott.

According to Google Maps, this would take just 20 minutes by train from Haneda to Shinagawa station, followed by a short 10 minute walk to my hotel for a total travel time from airport to hotel of just over 30 minutes, including waiting time for the train.

The rail map was in Japanese, but the automated ticket machine had an English Language option…there were also helpful staff at an information counter close by, who spoke English, and advised me which station I should alight from.

And best of all, it would cost all of JPY 410 or SGD 4.80. Far more convenient to arrive in Haneda than at Narita, which is much further away from Tokyo.

The train platform was a short walk away, and the next train on the Keikyu-Kuko line to Shinagawa Station arrived within minutes.

The train itself was not that different from a Singapore MRT train, and was filled with regular commuters as well as pax who had just arrived at the airport.

The LCD panels in the train indicated the train stops in both Japanese and English, so figuring out when to get off was fairly straightforward as well..

I got off the train at Shinagawa station.

This was a bustling commuter hub, buzzing with activity, and filled with eateries and convenience stores.

Very disciplined and orderly queues at the train platforms…

And a very clean station, despite the many food outlets and convenience stores right in the station…

There was actually a 7-Eleven, and a fast food outlet serving gourmet soups right next to the platform itself…

And outside the station, under the tracks, there was a row of small eateries…

Verdict? Getting to Tokyo via Haneda is much more convenient than arriving at Narita Airport.

I would definitely travel via Haneda if I need get to Tokyo in future...
                        Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

It was a very pleasant 10 minute walk (About 800m) from Shinagawa station, in the cool late afternoon weather, to the Tokyo Marriott.

This hotel has a large atrium with bar and casual restaurant, and a fairly understated reception area and executive lounge.

Projection screen in the lobby bar, screening sports events in the evenings…

Reception/check-in area…

My bedroom was not large, but modern, new and immaculately maintained.

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Bathroom with combined shower / tub…

Generous set of toiletries…

Bathrobes, and the ubiquitous TOTO washlet, with heated toilet seat (How did I live without this feature before?) and water/cleaning facilities…

Last edited by yflyer; 20 July 2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

For the unacquainted, the TOTO washlet is a marvelous Japanese invention which provides a sophisticated IT-enabled system of water sprays to keep your nether regions clean and comfortable.

The user interface looked fairly intimidating, but at least there were English translations, and friendly graphics which gave one a fair idea of where the jets of water were targeted.

This was not my first time encountering a TOTO washlet, and so confident was I in Japanese consumer engineering and product testing that I impulsively pushed all settings to maximum, activated the spray, then closed my eyes and braced for impact…

Aiyeee....

Hmmm…after the initial shock of a powerful stream of hot water coming from an unexpected direction…this was actually ok.

Score one for Japanese innovation!

Comment

Working...
                              X