Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Tigers bomb targets in Colombo

Air raid at CMB!! I believe SQ469 was affected

CGK!! CGK!! I believe you were doing a CMB run??

Hope you are ok now and maybe you can share with us the experience?

Calling for an unusual TR

If I can recall this was the second time you were doing a CMB run with attacks near Colombo Bandaranaike Airport.

A report of the fresh attacks here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6604645.stm

Sri Lanka rebels in new air raid

Tamil Tiger rebels have carried out an air raid on targets in and around Sri Lanka's capital, Colombo.

Two fuel facilities were bombed in what the rebels said was in response to an army strike on their positions.

Hours after the attack, Sri Lankan Air Force jets pounded Tiger-held areas in an effort to destroy their aircraft.

During the raid on the capital, government troops fired anti-aircraft guns and cut power to Colombo, its airport and an adjoining army base.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

One of my favorite turn around is CMB. Yeah, I love the great service, and I can sleep both ways.
      For SQ468 to CMB, I was surprised that it was announced in the lounge that the pax should wait first. But it was only 15 minutes delay. Nothing unusual. I was sleeping the whole flight.
      Arriving at CMB, I run to transfer desk which was a bit like zoo this time. I am surprised to the fact that many Japanese doing ex-CMB tickets nowdays. Well, I am peeking at their paper tix.
      SQ now issue its own BP. So the transfer desk asked me to go to Araliya Lounge as C pax. Lotus Lounge is for F pax. Later on before boarding time announcement, SQ staff dropped by at the lounge and gave me my BP.
      Went to the gate. Boarding as usual. Met the same LS from my flight from SYD to SIN two three weeks ago. Then door closed. I decided to sleep after the safety video.
      Everyone was asleep as well. Then suddenly, I felt a tap on my arm. FA told me to leave the aircraft. I thought I was in SIN already. But then I saw the usual ground staff of SQ CMB passing by. Forcing myself awake, and heard the announcement to leave the aircraft immediately with all belongings.
      Rushed a bit, and on the jetway, saw the airport was dark, and saw the flares.

Please look at the picture in BBC regarding the flares I meant.

We all were asked to stay in the darken boarding area. But then, th eflares were seen just accross from the tarmac. And the security and staff asked us to go down.. kneel down. Everyone did. And one minute later, we got a command to run to the safe place.

To be continued.

Comment

CGK, hope you're safe (still in CMB ?).

I wonder if this means that SQ will suspend its CMB flights and CX will (again) suspend them ? I'd imagine this incident will have an effect on aircraft insurance premiums etc.

Comment

CX has suspended operations to CMB again: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0011d21c39____
          Atm it looks like CX flights have been blocked from reservations up to the 5th of May.

No news from SQ yet.

Hope you're alright, CGK and thanks for the update.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 April 2007, 06:06 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hope you're all right, CGK. "Boring" can't really describe your travels, can it?
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

This is scary. CGK, hope you are OK. Take good care of yourself, my friend.

This has got to stop. This has been the 2nd time this year. How could the Tiger get hold of a bomber or whatever it is they are using to raid the airport.

Comment

I think it is the third time this year. There was one Friday morning although that one only caused two hours delay. The first one was in late March. SQ web site shows SQ469 departed at 415am, three hours late, I assume CGK is safe and happy in SIN now.
                Last edited by TerryK; 29 April 2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

CGK, please let us know (as soon as it's possible for u of course) if everything is ok
                  There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                  If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                    I think it is the third time this year. There was one Friday morning although that one only caused two hours delay. The first one was in late March. SQ web site shows SQ469 departed at 415am, three hours late, I assume CGK is safe and happy in SIN ow.
                    I didn't know about the one last Friday . I remembered the 1st strike this year late March when I was seeing CGK the first time at SKL F. He was on his way to CMB and I was on my way to MNL just came in from the red eye PVG flight.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                      How could the Tiger get hold of a bomber or whatever it is they are using to raid the airport.
                      I read that they are just light planes (they just sort of throw the bombs out of the window) which were brought into the country in pieces and reassembled.

Comment

Continuation

After we were on the floor for a quick minute, we were told to run to the safe place. Amazingly, there were no stampede. Very orderly. The children were running with their parents. Everyone seemed very calm.

We were running from Gate 8 towards the transfer desk. But then we were told to move to the center of the shops area, near the escalator. I saw people went down the escalator towards the departure immigration center. But the security/police said we would be fine to stay around where we were.

The noise of guns or explosive were louder, and more flares seen. As a result, we were asked to go down toward the departure immigration area.

In the mean time, I noticed the cabin crew of CX were in shock, shaking; but the cabin crew from SQ seems to be calm and following the order from the evacuation warden.

I tried to make phone calls, but the line seemed to have been cut off. I know I could not call any SQTalkers in Singapore, since they were all sleeping. So, I tried the Europe and UK based, then US based. No one answered the phone. I was able to talk to DeltaFlyingProf but seemed he was busy with his weekend activities. Disappointed for unable to share my feeling being in worst situation, but at least DFP knew that I was at CMB.

I don't remember how long we were waiting what's happening next. But was so surprised when we heard the speaker saying that SQ pax should go to the gate.

we were waiting by the gate, while the security let the pilots, cabin crew and SQ staff to enter the gate, and to the plane. It was still a dark, and SQ had to do manual reboarding process. In teh mean time other gates processed the boarding as well.

During the wait, I heard from SQ staff that MH crew and pax did not want to evacuate when was told to do so. MH took off when all those flares were happening. I don't know how to check the exact departure of MH flight. But I noticed that when we were waiting lining up to go through the security at Gate 8, I noticed there was a plane ready for taking off. May be that's the MH flight? (If anyone can tell me the departure of MH flight from CMB, then I can tell ou whether it departed while the air raid happening, or after it was announced to be safe.)

Indeed, I must say that the SQ staff at CMB did a fantastic job in dealing with this unordinary situation. The crew did the evacuation professionally and effectively. Really big star for the whole crew of SQ469. Once we were leaving CMB, I was able to chat with few of the crew. This was their first encounter with this kind of situation. They said they were afraid and scared as well, but duty as cabin crew is number one. So I must say a million thanks for the cabin crew on SQ469. Of course not to forget the pilot and co-pilots who flew SQ469.

Once we landed at Changi, SQ had set up the arrival gate for the connecting pax. Yes, SQ did a great job with this. I noticed even someone on an award tic from CMB to NRT, was given a hotel to stay for waiting the next flight to NRT which is at 2340.
                        For me, SKL staff had known about my itinerary this weekend. Thus, they had prepared the BP for me for th enext flight out to BKK. I knew I missed my lunch appointment at BKK, but I guess, I should be thankful that my run for life still in order, even though I would not be able to go out from BKK. The SKL staff did not want me to take the last flight ex-BKK to catch my flight from SIN to NYC tonight.

I am still overwhelmed with the whole situation or experience that went in the wrong direction this weekend. But, it makes me think of the "three times" rules. This is the second time I experienced anything realted to the uprising in SriLanka. Should I do go again to CMB? Or should I palay wait and see? But again, I still have several tix to go to SriLanka for my next life run. I just wish everything will be all right next time.

In short, IMHO, SriLanka is still a safe place to visit. People there had been used to the whole drill of this uprising. And I still believe SQ is doing an excellent job in keeping the route running...

Note: Of course in the terror feeling, I met someone with whom we hit it off instantly. Unfortunately, this person is enganged. I am unluckeeeeeeeeeee I guess...

Comment

Wow what a scary experience - Glad to hear that you are safe and well though.

Comment

CGK Thanx for the best TR I have read in a while...

I'm glad SQ staff/crew stayed true and professional even in a crisis like this...it must be due to good training and drills they get at their Training centre. You can read all about it in May's issue of their Silver Kris mag. Its commerates SIA 60th anniversary. I took one copy home from my last flight. (lots of interesting articles for SQlovers)

This also reminded me of my bomb threat flt EX-MNL last year...ground staff and crew were calm and professional
                            Everything was handled like they were prepared for situations like these.

Glad u are safe and have a great trip to NYC.
                            Last edited by mec; 29 April 2007, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear you're alright, CGK. And that SQ dealt with it a lot better than CX.

Comment

Working...
                              X