SQFG downsizes from a Dash-7! Asian Spirit Manila-San Fernando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQFG downsizes from a Dash-7! Asian Spirit Manila-San Fernando

Okay.... continuing on with this Prop fetish of late..... here's a trip report from KUL-SIN-MNL-SFE

KUL-SIN-MNL - bog standard SQ flight, good food, good seats, great service, you know the drill.
    Highlights:
    1)Dear friend working the J Galley (had to of course give her a hand).
    2) Met StarG at the airport.

16 April 2007
    MNL-SFE (San Fernando La Union, Northern Luzon, Philippines)
    Asian Spirit 6K 762
    Aircraft: Let L410A

The Departure terminal (Terminal A at Ninoy Aquino International Airport) was a mess - people everywhere, so it took quite a bit longer than usual to get inside.

Flight Load was only 6 pax (out of 17 seats) but they had us all get on a weighing scale with our handluggage! . Thankfully, I passed.

Anyway - there are no attendants on board, so there was no service - didn't really need it as the flight was only 55 minutes long. And yes, the L410 does have a loo! Nuff words, here are some lousy pics:

Seat Pitch in the L410

Safety Card (impressive given the size of aircraft)

Cabin view (1st Class is the front row) .......... not

My ride:

And finally, this strange thing i snapped on arrival at SFE airport..... a LOUNGE! !

‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Nice compact plane with leather seat....

Comment

SQFG's latest prop ride - BAG-MNL with Asian Spirit - Dash 7!

Okay - last one in this series. Flew back from Baguio to Manila on the way back to KUL on thursday.

Gosh I love relaxed small airports.

Me: Is the flight usually on time?
        Staff: Sometimes it is, but then, sometimes it isn't.........

Me: Well, how long are the delays usually?
        Staff: Sometimes 1/2 and hour, but then sometimes less, but then again, sometimes more...........

Me: What about today then, is it on time?
        Staff: It could be, but then, it may not be either....
        Staff2 who butts in: Why do you ask these questions ma'am? Are you in a hurry?

So anyway the 1120 flight finally got off the ground at 1200, and arrived into MNL at 1245. If you are ever planning to transfer from MNL terminal A to MNL Naia international, budget 3 1/2 hours - cause you DO have to run like a mad fool. The queues at NAIA international terminal were horrendous thanks to the JL and MH flight also departing. I still made SQ917 out at 1420, but it was NOT pleasant.

Back to the flight itself: Security was quick - as you'd expect for an airport with only 1 commercial flight a day.
        One interesting thing to note about baguio airport is that there is a HUGE ravine off the end of the runway. If you don't get airborne in time you go down 200 ft. Also, the airport runway and tarmac is actually open to traffic since the runway bisects part of BAG town. I didn't quite get as many pics as I'd have liked though.

Plastic chairs for a waiting lounge - which do just fine

My ride from Baguio to Manila - a shiny Dash-7. I have to say it was in better shape than the Berjaya Air one i took several days earlier from Pangkor to Subang. I'm beginning to get rather fond of this aircraft. Standard procedure for short runways seems to be - 1) Stand on the brakes 2) Rev up the engines 3) Let go - and it slingshots forward with alarming acceleration. a VERY NICE feeling

Comment

Hehe this is pretty cool - like a mini adventure!
          Thanks for sharing.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Excellent stuff. You really can't beat these tiny airports served by Props.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Okay - last one in this series.
              Okay, I lied...

Come this wednesday and friday I've got a trip on Kingfisher Airlines ATR42's from Chennai-Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Hyderabad-Chennai

Will try to take some pics! The SQFG prop fetish continues !

Comment

Nice report (loved the conversation and what it reveals about the nature of time in the Philippines).

Hmmm, maybe I can convince my brother to take me to Baguio by air!
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                X